Mel Bromley RIP

Andy Young

Oh, sad news indeed, I always looked forward meeting Mel at Telford and where-ever we could. I will miss his cheerfulness.

When he could he visited our shop here in Holland and always took more with him than he brought us.   

My condolances to his family and all that knew him as fondly as I do.  

What a shock! Our first meeting on a how in Belgium was like meeting an old friend. The best looking couple, him and his wife, and this continued for many  more events. Always friendly, caring, open for ideas and fulfilling his promises, If we only had more of these outstanding gentlemen in our scene!

Verry soory we might not meet at Telford again. RIP, Mel.

Sad news. I never dealt with Mel much, but he was always extremely helpful. In fact , the last kit I purchased from him was the civil version of the Bristol Sycamore kit he is shown holding in that great photo, a kit which he had to put together from odd leftovers, as officially it was out of production and no longer available. My condolences to his family and many friends in the U.K. and around the world.

Just spoke to Pauline, his widow, who called me from Wales to tell the bad news herself and the knowledge that he passed away all alone last saturday evening  fills me with so much sadness. 

Hope that all his modelling friends all over the world will form a ring round Pauline and let her know that he will never be forgotten for the kind person he was.  She will need support in many ways the coming time. i hope we can all be there for her in the same friendly helpul manner as Mel was always there for us!!

Erwin J.W. Stam

IPMS-NL

IPMS-BE

IPMS-UK

Aviation Megastore 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I left a message of condolence from IPMS Farnborough on the S&M website last night using the e-mail address given on the site. I hope the relevant people get to read it. Mel was a welcome regular at our annual Modelfest show.

• Like 1

This is really sad news. I didn't know him to speak to, but he was part of our hobby and stood out on his stall at shows as probably the only suited person, it was part of the character that we came to know. 

RIP, thank you for your contributions to our world.

Very much saddened by this, I've bought several of Mel's kits & communicated with him, he was always polite & helpful, though I never met him in person. He would have been a couple of years younger than me, a bit of a wake up call. RIP Mel.

Steve.

Sad news really, I only know Mel as a customer but he always seemed to me a real gentleman, the huge amount

of comments that I read here only confirm my opinion. I´m sure that he left behind a very long line of friends and grateful customers.

Rest in peace.

Totally shocked by this news as everyone else is.

I have known Mel since the 1980s and have done a lot of his laser decals and had an order here ready to ship to him until receiving the tragic news yesterday from his Daughter Lauren.

He was such an important part of the hobby and will be a massive loss, maybe a group build in his memory would be a fitting tribute.

R.I.P Mate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So shocked to read this!   I have known Mel for years and always made time to chat with him at the Heathrow Aviation Enthusiast Fairs and at Telford SMW shows each year. Bought loads of his laser airline decals - far more than I would get around to building. Hope someone takes over his business. RIP Mel 

I have just received the following from Mel's daughter and post it here verbatim.

'Thank you so much for you email and the link to the modelling community.

We are still in shock as to what has happened and but it's been some comfort to read everyone's kind words about my Dad. 

I may need your help in the future as I have inherited a lot of plastic that I don't understand.

Kind regards 

Lauren Bromley'

I have no doubt the modelling community will give Lauren all the help she needs, should it come to it.

I supplied her with a link to this thread, as above.

Frank Bell

on behalf of IPMS Ipswich.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Shocked to hear this, known Mel since the 80's, especially when I attended many shows and clubs in London.

A very nice man who wasn't like alot of the dealers who are only interested in talking to you unless you were buying.  

RIP, Mel

Regards,

Neil 

• Like 2

Shocked and saddened to hear this awful news. 

A great guy, who I only really knew from his stall at various model shows. I first met him at a show in the 80's and he was wearing a military uniform, manning a stall of second hand kits. I had picked out a couple I liked, but being on a budget, couldn't decide which one to buy. He talked me into getting them both! Last time I saw him was at the Peterborough show, and he did me a great deal on a kit I had fancied for a while, but was being a little indecisive over (it is massive!) A lovely character who will be missed.

The show scene will be much poorer for his passing. RIP, old chap.

• Like 2

Really shocked and sad about the news. Mel was a lovely man always had time for everybody at shows and his choice of kits really appealed to me. His decals and kits filled a niche market.  I had messed up my Williams Bros C-46 elevators and without hesitation he replaced them  from a spares box. Thoughts to his family but he will long be remembered on the show scene as  the best dressed, superb manners  and nicest trader around.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, T-21 said:

Really shocked and sad about the news. Ray was a lovely man always had time for everybody at shows and his choice of kits really appealed to me. His decals and kits filled a niche market.  I had messed up my Williams Bros C-46 elevators and without hesitation he replaced them  from a spares box. Thoughts to his family but he will long be remembered on the show scene as  the best dressed, superb manners  and nicest trader around.

I feel that I should point out your typo, his name was Mel and not Ray.

All the best

Ray

Note to moderators, this is my brothers computer and account not mine

Please remove this post if this is an issue

I have only just found about Mels untimely passing and would like to add my voice to the many others expressing shock and sadness at the news

Like them I had known him for many years and I liked him a great deal

Please pass on my condolences to his family

Regards

Paul Davis