Ebay!!!!!!

Graham T

This is pretty late to the party, but E-Bay are spreading a lot of clever dis-information about using Paypal for payment. This is not helped by the initial announcement about the new "payment system" not mentioning Paypal ONCE, IIRC. The very careful wording of the announcement was interesting. This is a simple ruse, to make casual E-Bay users believe that Paypal are no longer a part of the system. 

The fact is that Paypal take E-Bay payments globally hundreds of thousands of times a day, but what happens after that point is now very different. Once the initial payment has been made, E-Bay quickly grab the funds from Paypal's hands and send it to your personal bank-account. E-Bay claim that this process can takes a number of days....Why? Surely in this information age, transferring of funds is as simple as firing data along some fibre-optic cables? The process should be measured in minutes, not days, but I'm guessing it's to E-Bay's advantage to pretend otherwise.

Paypal are now the first payment-stage of several stages, rather than the company who do most of the work.  

As I undestand it, E-Bay used to own Paypal, but a few years ago they split and became entirely separate business entities. Once this happened, I'm sure E-Bay's management were keen to cut as many ties to PP as possible. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 1

Lasted posted here on this topic in May this year when I heard Ebays new rules, they seemed grim to me and others at the same time, so what's the general consensus now in later November folks, is it safe to sell kits there again? get paid immediately before sending or wait, really cant imagine me doing that any-more again?

I'd like to go back to Ebay selling again for kits, buying was never a problem, but just don't know what to do just now for selling?

Britmodeller itself is excellent for buying and selling, had 99.9% percent success rate here and happy to do this again, but if something wont shift, perhaps might need to use Ebay again?

Just looking for feedback on how those Ebay changes have panned out and if anyone's changed their mind about selling there again.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

My best (worsed) ebay experience was the sale of an Airfix Tristar a few years ago, title read "Missing parts and part assembled SEE PICTURES AND READ DESCRIPTION". The pictures showed a layout of the parts with rings around the assembled parts (doors fitted) and tings around  where the missing parts would have been on the sprues, each ring numbered in the picture and then the corresponding numbers itemised and described in the description.

Message from buyer - "You didn't say the kit was started and it has missing parts"!

• Haha 4

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread, because

over the last two weeks or so I've been finding a lot, and I mean a lot, of UK ebay sellers who I've bought from and wanted buy from again have now either blocked me as a buyer or changed their delivery to 'does not post to Northern Ireland'

Allegedly ebay is telling sellers to either block N.I. buyers or change their posting areas, allegedly due to the 'Northern Ireland Protocol'

Even though N.I. is still in the UK and RM, Parcel Force and even most courier company delivery prices are the same as for delivering in Wales or England it seems that ebay don't see it that way and list Northern Ireland as separate independent country

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

I assume I’m not alone in often idly trawling through eBay. And I’ve very much concluded that prices have in many cases gone bananas, especially since the first lockdown.

There just seem to be many people listing kits at frankly laughable prices. Quite a few appear to be by people who don’t sell a lot of model kits, so maybe also listing trainers, a dress and a power tool. There’s a Revell Falcon 10 listed as £53. I’ve seen loads of stuff for silly prices and yet a quick search often finds listings of the same at half the price or less.

This isn’t a complaint, just an observation that somehow somewhere some people have got the idea that a plastic model airplane kit is not dissimilar to a Ming dynasty vase.

• Like 4

I recently sold a kit via Ebay. The  buyer somewhere in England paid about £17. It was an Airfix  Blohm and Voss BV141. If that was any of you who got that kit You did well. My profit was less  than £2. That's a loss BTW because I obviously paid more than that originally.

I  have a bunch of other  untouched, unopened  kits in my stash. But frankly I should just  toss the lot in the bin because if I  sell them on ebay only they  and the post office will make  money from them.

I can relate to the @Black Knight issue. He tried to send me  something lately and it ended up back  with him because of some bureaucratic box ticking  exercise. Allegedly because of  Brexit etc. As far as I can see it's  cluelessness, laziness and incompetence.

Still have the coins 😉BTW.

Edited by noelh
  • Sad 3