Ebay!!!!!!

Graham T

22 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Been there, seen it, done it, bought the T shirt.

I had a recent  dispute about non delivery.

Hermes (who else) claimed they had delivered the item and, left it at my front door. They produced a picture of the afore mentioned door.

Ebay was about to drop it  until I produced photos of my front door (which was a different colour to the courier delivery photo), complete with number and, name plate.

It was, needless to say not the address to which the courier allegedly delivered!.

It was worth pushing it. Dispute was promptly resolved in my favour and, I got a full refund. I never did find out what happened to the consignment though.

John

In that situation I would hope that eBay did decide in your favour. 

Circloy stated above he would make a claim, and as he had requested delivery to his work address not his home address he may well have a valid claim. However the point I was trying to make was that eBay will not favour the customer if they try to claim a refund for an item that a genuine delivery attempt to the correct address has been made. In my experience eBay have always upheld my counterclaim if there is proof that a delivery attempt has been made to the correct address. They stated that the Seller cannot be responsible for the customer not being available when the delivery attempt is made, it is up to the customer to collect their mail from the Sorting Office or arrange a redelivery date with the Sorting Office in that instance. I have never had a case where the customer has refused to collect from the Sorting Office after being notified that their parcel was unable to be delivered so can't say for sure which way eBay would go in that case but as a seller I would not be happy to issue a full refund if there were no good reasons other than the customer not having been in at the time the postie turned up. I think this is where eBay can be very frustrating for Sellers and Buyers, being a third party it does allow their system to be abused by those who have a mind to do that and therefore trust between the Customer and Seller is subject to those nagging doubts that the other party is "at it" when an issue develops. Maybe that just says more about me but I am always much happier to attempt to resolve problems directly rather than have to go through eBay but it's not always possible to do so.

On a different eBay issue I notice that they will be auto enrolling sellers in their Global Shipping as of 1st July. I opted out of this last year so it looks like I will have to opt out again!

Duncan B

• Like 1

Tbh I stopped selling a couple of years ago - at least for low value models and items. Being self employed I am acutely aware time is money. Our post office or courier drop off points are 20 minutes away by car so say I sell a model for thirty pounds plus postage of what, four pounds? I have to buy wrapping materials, spend time wrapping and time on EBay  with listing and dealing with the sale etc. 
So time over an hour. Then factor in EBay selling fees. 
If instead I left the kit in the stash I’d still have a Thirty pound kit and then worked the hour instead??  
Doing the loss of opportunity cost analysis I can make a case that I am making a total loss on the whole Thirty pounds 

Having reread all the posts I think small scale private selling is bonkers. 

As a buyer I find I’ve looked for several items on EBay and got a feel for the prices. Then I’ve looked on line and bought it cheaper directly from a non EBay seller after checking prices through internet searches!  The latest purchase was the Haynes Supermarine S6b manual. Bought from The Tank Museum Shop on line. I saw another guy pay 10 pounds more at auction end on EBay for the same thing. Given my “savings” I picked up another book at the same time so a win all round for me and The Tank Museum and PayPal 

PS. I recently saw an EBay seller list several items from a well known aftermarket producer as Very Rare OOP. Odd I thought. Checked it. They are all current and cheaper directly from his website!  Thought to report it but didn’t as suspected it wouldn’t make any difference and couldn’t find a report this item/seller link anyway and lost interest 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Circloy stated above he would make a claim,

Having the Item in hand I wouldn't make a claim as that would be dishonest. What I actually said was:

On 10/06/2021 at 21:54, Circloy said:

I've taken it up with the seller this time. Next time I might just file a non-delivery claim.

However next time I may not have opportunity to visit the delivery office or, if the item was lost/stolen, then I will file the non-delivery claim.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Overall, I've enjoyed a positive and predictable experience as a buyer, maintaining a 100% feedback record since I joined eBay in 2007 and having no criticisms of sellers apart from occasional poor packaging or taking up to 3 weeks to ship the order.

But I had a strange experience with an eBay trader just the other day.

I found a hard-to-get kit that has been out of production for some years on this eBay store. You know how it goes? It was pricey but I wanted it sufficiently to consider purchase. However, the shipping cost seemed artificially high, at least twice what I would expect to pay in US shipping rates, in my experience the most expensive.

I had a look at other items in the store and was struck by the prices on some commonly available kits being so high they seemed randomly assigned. The shipping charges on some kits were even more exorbitant than the one that interested me and did not seem to follow a logical pattern; i.e. shipping charges on some smaller boxed, lighter kits were higher than on larger boxed, heavier kits. They were all marked; recommended international postal rate.

Then I checked the feedback data. A couple of negative ratings over 12 months with nasty rants, but that's what you get on eBay. But the feedback frequency was low, only 50 in 12 months, suggesting a low turnover. What the heck! I thought. I'll give it a bash.

I sent my payment checking the PayPal option and received email confirmation of the transaction. Within a couple of minutes, another email from eBay informed me there was a problem and requested I resend the payment. I was surprised, never having encountered a problem like this before. I checked my bank account and sure enough, no payment. So I double checked everything and resent the payment with the same result. Then the whiff of a dirty big rat aroused my suspicions; was I being lured into using a credit card? If the trader was on holiday and has closed the eBay store, there is a note to that effect. I ceased further transacting.

I googled the eBay store name and found a website, a street address and a warehouse-style outlet in the real world. I found the kit of interest listed on the website catalogue. It all seems legit, but I still have my doubts and will proceed with caution, or simply buy my kit elsewhere.

I think this is an example of shill bidding, trying to inflate prices by pretending someone else is prepared to pay these prices. I predict this same kit will be relisted next week, either the same seller or one of his other accounts.

I've seen auctions for the same kit go back and forth between two accounts for weeks, always ending at improbably high prices, trying to draw someone in.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I did something wrong last spring😕 sold one for a friend of mine for just 130 euro’s to China 🇨🇳 🤪

Nevertheless that e-bay thing is getting weirder and weirder....I as a private seller stopped selling because e-bay itself is getting more and more expensive and for a private seller to get at least your money back for a kit is getting very difficult 🤨...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stu_davros said:

I think this is an example of shill bidding, trying to inflate prices by pretending someone else is prepared to pay these prices. I predict this same kit will be relisted next week, either the same seller or one of his other accounts.

I've seen auctions for the same kit go back and forth between two accounts for weeks, always ending at improbably high prices, trying to draw someone in.

There were two retracted bids already for this item, one on 7,500 pounds and another one on 27,500 pounds..

The seller however is a trusted one and sells at normal prices normally...from Yeovil...

But somewhere there is a fishy thing going on and I suspect it to be from the buyers end☝️

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Hi

As soon as i see

private listing bidders identity hidden 

no matter what it is .... i dont bid

and personalky i am buying less & less on ebay now due to the excessive shipping costs they charge 

cheers

jerty

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janneman36 said:

There were two retracted bids already for this item, one on 7,500 pounds and another one on 27,500 pounds..

The seller however is a trusted one and sells at normal prices normally...from Yeovil...

But somewhere there is a fishy thing going on and I suspect it to be from the buyers end☝️

cheers, Jan

I saw that. The bidding went from £230--which is crazy enough--on 4 Nov 2021 at 10:50:39am GMT to £6,620.00 on 4 Nov 2021 at 10:57:20am GMT--about £900 a minute! :rofl2:

• Haha 1

I think the chances of the winning bidder actually paying up are extremely remote. 

This happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. He was selling a painting, hoping it would get maybe £400 for it. Someone bid £1 Million and then sent him a message along the lines of "I woz never gonna pay for it anyway!" (the actual message was a lot less polite than that!). 

There really are some nasty idiots out there...

Chris. 

Thanks, @bentwaters81tfw. Good advice. I did communicate and I did hear back. So I put in the order with them via their website instead of ebay and received notification of shipment today. It appears that they are one of the largest model retailers in their country and I had things a#@e about. There is other evidence that they are a bit disorganised, that's all.

The arrival of another hard-to-get kit from deep behind the polystyrene curtain in perfect nick after ten weeks in transit may have inspired a go-on-have-another-go spirit.

But this might be my last order for a while, as I've reached the modest limit on my stash (very carefully curated collection). So I can chuck the sedatives in the bin and get on with some building... oh.. er.. and life.

• Like 1