Ebay!!!!!!

Graham T

1 hour ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

ebay transfers have been between 3-6days after postage not sales/orders.  It could be teething issues but if it continues it may lead to people going elsewere to sell. 

I can live with the delay, as long as the buyer is OK with it. I would be very uncomfortable with posting something before the payment is cleared. This is just another risk added to the other ones on ebay which might turn me off them as a seller. 

Appreciate your sharing the experience with us here. I would now definitely refrain from joining their new system, at least until the dust settles.

BTW, I had a very negative experience with their cyber security when my ebay account was hi jacked, they did very little to react.... And this does not boost my confidence in them.

• Like 2

E-Bay does offer private-sellers brief selling-fees reduction periods. The short version is.... anything you sell will cost you £1.00 in fees (as ever, terms and conditions apply). The selling fees "holidays" usually start on a Friday morning and end at midnight on the Monday, so it pays to have all your photos taken when the notice comes in, so you can create your new listings as quickly as possible. Items have to sell within a one week of the listing going live (you can take your listing down if it doesn't sell, save it as a draft and then re-list it when E-Bay give you notice of their next £1.00 selling-fees period - they don't like folks doing it, but still allow it). I think you can list up to 100 items under this set-up. 

I was very cynical when I first read about this scheme, but now I've used it a few times, I have been converted. I have no idea what qualifies a person for this facility - length of time as an E-Bay member, number of transactions, user ratings....?). 

Anyway, something for you to know about, folks. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

On the subject of E-Bay now issuing tax-invoices to private-sellers....

I was told a few years ago that, if you earn less than £10,000 a year via E-Bay, the tax-man is not at all concerned about nabbing you for tax. It appears that this situation might well have changed, now. I don't know if this has been stipulated by the UK government or E-Bay has imposed it upon themselves (the first option seems like the more likely one). 

E-Bay's UK operation is officially registered in Switzerland, although we can be sure they have offices tucked away in Great Britain, too. Tax avoidance, anyone?

Chris. 

• Like 1

A few thoughts on Ebay, PayPal et al.

Doing business with Ebay has turned into a increasingly abusive proposition; unless you're selling in volume it's not worth the effort since the only one making a profit is... Ebay.

The seller gets paid in aggravation and an increasing feeling of being badly used. I dumped Ebay a long time ago.

Giving Ebay direct access to your bank account is daft ;)

1. they have abused this as aptly described by several posts above. My workaround was to have an special bank account used only to receive payment and then immediatlely transferred to another bank account so there was nothing for Ebay/PayPal to try and grab AND useless for fraudsters since there were no funds nor cards to play with

2. Giving Ebay / Amazon et al. your banking info is just so much hacker fodder. Amazon has had at least two breaches and I expect Ebay is probably going to :P Another aspect of this is the info (NOT the banking details) harvested is resold to whomever has the cash and will be used to bombard you with targeted advertising, creepy emails detailing exactly what you wished for Christmas presents, and targeted desinformation every time an election is imminent.

Nowadays the only people with my banking details and/or card details are my bank and PayPal. If I cannot use PayPal to pay then I don't buy it :)

So if Ebay has dumped PayPal then it's goodbye. Other actors will see this as an opportunity. Start trying alternatives - with your business they'll grow and attract both sellers and buyers.  And as value added your're "sticking it to the Man" 😆

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its all a bit shadey.

I'm sitting on the fence for months now, if Ebay want to make these dramatic changes, it must be in their favour, not ours. The situation is as clear as mud to my old brain LOL

Good luck everyone.

• Like 2

I will never link ebay to my bank account. If they refuse to offer Paypal, I can either use my credit card, assuming that is permitted, or I go elsewhere.

I will make a list of addresses for sellers I frequent, and go direct.

• Like 2

Interesting reading.

I've just checked my purchase history and have seen I hardly ever use Ebay anymore. 

I guess it's time to move on and cancel my account. PayPal was the only safety net for me (Well, it isn't great, but better than them having my bank details).

Thanks for the Heads-up guys, one less thing to worry about.

Rick.

• Like 2

Just to clarify a couple of things it seems people didn't understand the nuance of my last post.

The buyer has paid for the  item it is posted quickly, it is EBAY not the buyer or seller who are delaying the input of the payment in peoples bank accounts. It is clearly a policy of theirs not to pay immeadiately for whatever reason. the delay has been usually between 3 and in two cases 6 days before being sent to the seller account. 

I agree the safety net with paypal has gone and judging by the complete lack of transparency from Ebay it may well be as ye are suggesting a information trawl etc, something I also believe myself. I urged caution but 

My partner felt she had no choice but to give the account details in order to sell small items on the site and  I believe very shortly it will apply to all sellers making it uneconomic for individuals in a small way to sell and perhaps that's the idea.

Why change a winning formula the move away from paypal makes no sense.  She's still waiting a response from eBay today but could be waiting  a long time as they use autobots apparently. I have no recommendations either way to make just letting you know our experience since the changeover. 

regards

Eamonn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

ebay phone number  0800 358 6551 for what it's worth.

Your Hilarious thanks for that as if we can't read or write ourselves 😆

made us chuckle shes spent the past three days mailing phoning etc still being fobbed off and getting nowhere 

Eamonn

• Haha 1

One of many to be fair and I think in light of recent days events a diety or medium might be a better way of contacting them. The sentiment was much appreciated by the way bentwaters  in case you thought other wise 

Eamonn

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Jut an FYI

Since Tess handed over her bank account details and despite the ebay bumpf about money going into your account within two days of sales/orders!  this has not been her experience on any item sold since she signed up.

She prides herself on very quick postage usually within 24 hours and ebay transfers have been between 3-6days after postage not sales/orders.  It could be teething issues but if it continues it may lead to people going elsewere to sell. 

The money when transferred usually clears quickly into the account minus the fees   but the delay in payment is noticeable compared to the old paypal system. The new TAX invoice arrived this morning along with another  April invoice. 

Eamonn

I only encountered such problems with eBay refunds and that was bad enough. I'm actually getting close to closing down my account entirely. I only ever really used it for kits and have since switched directly to specific stores to make most purchases and have absolutely no appetite to sell. If it were possible to close the 'seller' part of my account I'd do that and just leave the buyer part on the pilot light. If not I think I'm pretty much done.

• Like 4

I woke up this morning with a silly idea in my head. I imagined that given the hundreds of thousands of modellers in the world that IPMS UK and USA and others set up an auction site “Modelbay” with PayPal and sales were exclusively hobby related for private individuals looking to sell from stash, modellers looking to do resin or 3d parts for themselves and sell copies on, cottage industries and on line shops. Sensible rules fair to buyers and sellers as it should be and the site geared up to deal with the right customs declarations etc to make international sales as simple as possible. 

if done globally there should be enough trade to give it traction. 

Now we just need to find a Dragon that models. Where’s Rod Stewart when you need him

• Like 6

I have been switched to the new payment method on eBay for about a month now. The fees have shot through the roof for me from 9% to between 13-15% plus my fee for my "shop frontage". eBay stated in their sales pitch for the new payment system that most would find their fees less on the new scheme, that's not been my experience so far.

I have opened a "shop" on Onbuy.com which is affiliated with PayPal (and is UK based too) so we shall see how that goes. Hopefully if it picks up I will be able to shut down my eBay outlet as I'm not happy with the higher fees nor the lack of protection from fraudsters.

Duncan B

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

I have been switched to the new payment method on eBay for about a month now. The fees have shot through the roof for me from 9% to between 13-15% plus my fee for my "shop frontage". eBay stated in their sales pitch for the new payment system that most would find their fees less on the new scheme, that's not been my experience so far.

I have opened a "shop" on Onbuy.com which is affiliated with PayPal (and is UK based too) so we shall see how that goes. Hopefully if it picks up I will be able to shut down my eBay outlet as I'm not happy with the higher fees nor the lack of protection from fraudsters.

Duncan B

Another reason why BM'ers should be looking at buying direct from the likes of Duncan to support the traders on here.

• Like 5

I've sold a fair few kits on eBay with no problems at all at my end. I tend to describe things accurately and, if anything, err on the side of caution. I've bought way too many things that weren't as described and don't want to inflict that on anyone else. I also price things realistically. I look at what things have sold for and then start at the lower end. If people want to bid more than that, it's on them!

I haven't sold anything on eBay for a while though, and probably won't until both the Covid situation has settled down and there's enough feedback from sellers that the new system is worth bothering with/safe to use. I've heard a number of horror stories from small businesses to make me think twice.

I've bought a lot more kits than I've sold. I'm probably not alone in that respect. I like a bargain* though, so won't pay top dollar unless there's no alternative. And even then, I almost always exercise patience and find a good price in the end. I spend a lot of time scouring eBay, so tend to have a good idea of the going rate. If you do want a bargain, you will need to put the time in. Or get lucky.

There are a lot of sellers out there who simply price things way too high. For instance, the amount of Modeldecal sheets that are on eBay for considerably more than you can get them from Hannants. You'd have to be pretty uninformed to buy them. Then there's the second-hand kits that people are asking brand new prices for. These might be as new, but they're not brand new and IMHO it's unrealistic to expect people to pay what you stumped up unless it's out of production and there's demand for them. Obviously, you can ask what you want, but maybe don't be surprised if they don't get snapped up. Well, you won't sell them to me, anyway!

Cheers,

Mark.

*It's more out of necessity than just being a skinflint, as I'm on a very limited budget thanks to a long-term illness.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ten days or so have passed since Ebay asked us to give them our bank details ... or open a new bank account just for them because of the split with Paypal ... has anyone reconsidered? They have told me I can no longer list ETC and for Scale modelling really do not mind, can do that here and its been fine, still lots of other stuff I need to shift though and in fairness ... Ebay was handy for that, they took a fair slice ... but hey ho, better that than sitting here gathering dust.

I guess what I'm asking is ... has anyone of the many of us who said no more Ebay selling actually buckled and gave them bank details? I assume its still OK to buy there with my account?

I wish they had just left it alone, it was far from perfect but manageable. Its a real shame, had been on there a long time, great 100% positive feedback ... sigh !

I wonder if this has hurt them and us here who are saying we will no longer sell there are a minority? really cant see them taking Paypal back now though ??   I don't mind Paypal at all really, never had a problem with them.

I'll be 62 next month as well and old dogs don't like new tricks :)

45 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Ten days or so have passed since Ebay asked us to give them our bank details ... or open a new bank account just for them because of the split with Paypal ... has anyone reconsidered? They have told me I can no longer list ETC and for Scale modelling really do not mind, can do that here and its been fine, still lots of other stuff I need to shift though and in fairness ... Ebay was handy for that, they took a fair slice ... but hey ho, better that than sitting here gathering dust.

I guess what I'm asking is ... has anyone of the many of us who said no more Ebay selling actually buckled and gave them bank details? I assume its still OK to buy there with my account?

I wish they had just left it alone, it was far from perfect but manageable. Its a real shame, had been on there a long time, great 100% positive feedback ... sigh !

I wonder if this has hurt them and us here who are saying we will no longer sell there are a minority? really cant see them taking Paypal back now though ??   I don't mind Paypal at all really, never had a problem with them.

I'll be 62 next month as well and old dogs don't like new tricks :)

I'm the same, you can still buy stuff without giving them your bank details.

• Like 2

I won an auction for a KC135 from a site in the USA, As soon as I won the fee to be paid increased in excess of the advertised international costs as with the postage.

Sent payment for two sales direct from my bank, this one after an hour said it was "pending" the money left my account. 

A few cranky messages to fro the seller all blaming me!

After two weeks of being asked to pay for the item by the vendor and messages to ebay who could see the item was paid for the vendor cancelled the sale saying I requested the sale cancelled!

oddly I messaged the vendor saying I did want the item but had a very earthy reply which suggested I could go away.

2 hours ago, ian fish said:

said it was "pending"

I've seen that too when I've paid for goods, always through Paypal, I believe it's to do with the new system i.e. paypal have been instructed to pay ebay, ebay is waiting 'confirmed' receipt so in ebay's eyes the payment is pending.

My current 'issue' with ebay, or one of their sellers, is having won and paid for an item I selected my works address for delivery the reason being there's rarely anyone at home during normal delivery hours. It was selected prior to payment so it was not a change of mind. Three day's later I arrive home and find a Royal Mail card stuffed through the door. Parcel to collect from the local delivery office trouble is they only open an hour before I'm due in work & close @ mid-day problem is the comute is just short of an hour, absolutely brilliant.

I've taken it up with the seller this time. Next time I might just file a non-delivery claim.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Circloy said:

I've seen that too when I've paid for goods, always through Paypal, I believe it's to do with the new system i.e. paypal have been instructed to pay ebay, ebay is waiting 'confirmed' receipt so in ebay's eyes the payment is pending.

My current 'issue' with ebay, or one of their sellers, is having won and paid for an item I selected my works address for delivery the reason being there's rarely anyone at home during normal delivery hours. It was selected prior to payment so it was not a change of mind. Three day's later I arrive home and find a Royal Mail card stuffed through the door. Parcel to collect from the local delivery office trouble is they only open an hour before I'm due in work & close @ mid-day problem is the comute is just short of an hour, absolutely brilliant.

I've taken it up with the seller this time. Next time I might just file a non-delivery claim.

Your non delivery claim wouldn't be upheld by eBay, I know this from my own experience. If there has been a delivery attempt then the Seller is free from the contract between them and yourself and the issue is now yours and RM's alone to deal with as the Seller has fulfilled their end. If it's been sent to the wrong address then you are better to challenge it using that route as the Seller did not follow your instructions in the first place.

Duncan B

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Duncan B said:

the issue is now yours and RM's alone to deal with

Not so. The contract with RM is between the seller and RM. RM is legally entitled to, and will, dismiss out of hand any claim made by a third party (me).

• Like 1

Some interesting comments here.

I had the usual emails/messages from Ebay saying that I must update my account or my ability to sell on Ebay will be hampered. This sounded like scare tactics to me, so I completely ignored it (they're not getting my banking details). 1st June has come and gone. My (only) two items for sale are still up, and they still have the 'payment by Paypal' still up. By the way, I don't think they can really drop Paypal as it's the main way to buy/sell. Also, the buyer/seller has a legal right to choose the way they wish to pay/be paid (don't qoute me on that with today's lack of consumer protection, etc.).

Secondly, I've now had an email from Ebay stating that they will put me on their God-awful Global Shipping Programme, but they will email me giving me the option to "opt-out". Hey Ebay, how's about assuming I won't be interested in your little scam (sorry, scheme) and just give me the option to 'opt-in'??!! Oh wait, that's how scams (oops, I mean schemes) work by forcing customers into doing something, if they remember a month from now, or maybe not even tell them at all (like what Amazon did).

Regarding this shipping programme, please don't use it. Google it if you don't know about this horrible, potentially fraudulent, scheme (sorry, scam). The customs charges seem to be a blanket 30-35% even on items that do not attract stuff like VAT (e.g., books), which vary from country to country (for example, VAT on a book to France from the UK [now a third country] is 5%. Ebay are charging 20%!!!). This is fraudulent, and needless to say, illegal. The 'extra' money 'collected' from you will not go to the HMRC (which would then be in receipt of illegally 'collected' money), but into the deep pockets of Ebay, and their third party partner Pitney Bowes. By the way, the package is unpacked at the latter company's facility and then repacked (badly), so they know exactly what you've sent.

Finally, I strongly urge everyone who has been 'messed around' by Ebay (where they think their country's law has been broken) to contact their local version of Trading Standards, HMRC (if relevant regarding customs charges), and your local MP (yes, I know. Some of us have an MP that doesn't actually work for us, but some do. They're also law makers, albeit some in the UK have taken to breaking it recently). If you don't contact them, they will know nothing about it and will not be able to investigate, and people like Trading Standards cannot bring charges. If enough people kick up a stink then things will start to happen. I know it's difficult to do if you've had the stuffing continually knocked out of you, but please try and fight. It's good for you and it's good for all of us.

Edited by Feisty Midget
Grammar. I'm OCD about it!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Circloy said:

Not so. The contract with RM is between the seller and RM. RM is legally entitled to, and will, dismiss out of hand any claim made by a third party (me).

That's not the way eBay see it though when it comes to making a claim through eBay against a Seller. As I have said, if there has been a delivery attempt then eBay will side with the sender. That's been my experience with them.

Duncan B