Nimrod Roundels Op Granby 1991

rafalbert

I am finishing a Nimrod for the Gulf War GB (XV244) and am struggling to ascertain whether they still had underwing roundels applied at that time or not (and the underwing serial). Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Many thanks,

Dave

I have found a picture of a 51 Sqn aircraft showing the undersides. I know it is not the aircraft that you are making, but it might give a bit if a clue. It does not have any Serial Nos and has the smaller type of roundel on both wings. I will look through other books that I have to see if I can find anything else.

I had a look through most of my Nimrod/Gulf books last night and unfortunately I could not find any showing the undersides fully. The main concentrate on of the photos seemed to be of the nose art. I will carry on looking though.

Hello Dave,

have you seen this?

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Historical-Library/Royal-Air-Force/RAF-Yearbook-1991-Special---Gulf-War/Royal-Air-Force-Yearbook-Special-Air-War-in-the-Gulf_Page_47-960

Look at the wing (just above the third guy from the right); to my eye it looks like there is something lighter than the wing surface. Unfortunately this is the best photo in this yearbook.

Cheers,

Antti

If it is not too late, I got some new interestning info on Nimrods in Gulf regarding the towed radar decoy and RWRs. Let me know if it is still fixable for you. I will look up for the underside pictures or could ask on FB group, those guys are amazing there.

Jakub

I've got three pictures of a Nimrod at Muharraq with Phimat pods and FLIR pod on the wings.

From what I can see there were no underwing serials and I suspect it had the low viz roundels applied.

XVTonker

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 6:26 PM, xvtonker said:

I've got three pictures of a Nimrod at Muharraq with Phimat pods and FLIR pod on the wings.

From what I can see there were no underwing serials and I suspect it had the low viz roundels applied.

XVTonker

Hey mate, can you post the pics or send them to me as PM for a reference ? Thanks !

I’m currently reading thunder & lightning (about RAF on Op Grandy) and there has been mention of nothing required to the outside scheme for in theatre ops for the nimrod. So safe(?) to say the were in the Uk scheme of the period.

Steve.

16 hours ago, Jakub Cikhart said:

Hey mate, can you post the pics or send them to me as PM for a reference ? Thanks !

Yes, I've been on this site and some of the images of Buccs, Jags & Tornado's are attributed to me.

XVTonker :pilot:

On 5/14/2021 at 6:25 AM, Jakub Cikhart said:

As requested, here are the pictures of XV241 taken at Muharraq, Bahrain in 1990

Nimrod MR.2P XV241 lh view Nimrod MR.2P XV241 lh rear view Nimrod MR.2P XV241 TRAM pod Nimrod MR.2P XV241 BOZ chaff-flare pod

• Like 2

On 14/05/2021 at 10:39, speedy said:

I’m currently reading thunder & lightning (about RAF on Op Grandy) and there has been mention of nothing required to the outside scheme for in theatre ops for the nimrod. So safe(?) to say the were in the Uk scheme of the period.

Steve.

Depends when the aircraft had gone through its major servicing as we had 3 aircraft in different paint and marking jobs at one time

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Depends when the aircraft had gone through its major servicing as we had 3 aircraft in different paint and marking jobs at one time

The Victors also deployed on Op Granby in their standard hemp/light aircraft they scheme, the same as the Nimrods.

XVTonker

Guys, thank you all for your help with this, it has been gratefully received. The downside is that I have managed to ruin my Nimrod! I was using the hairdryer method to settle one of the fuselage roundels and lost concentration.....needless to say, the fuselage is now misshapen. Totally gutted, I am now trying to figure out how to salvage it.

• Confused 1

On 5/15/2021 at 9:46 AM, xvtonker said:

As requested, here are the pictures of XV241 taken at Muharraq, Bahrain in 1990

Nimrod MR.2P XV241 lh view Nimrod MR.2P XV241 lh rear view Nimrod MR.2P XV241 TRAM pod Nimrod MR.2P XV241 BOZ chaff-flare pod

Great pics, thanks a lot !

Looks like the 241 was not equipped with TRD at that time.

Is there any chance to tell which airframes had the Towed Radar Decoy installed during Gulf war ?

I am also in contact with Nimrod FB group where I was able to get pics of the TRD after so many years of searching :)

Thanks !