1/48th CAC Winjeel by Red Roo models

Hi all.

I've gone and done the unthinkable by doing a few commission builds for a work colleague. There are a lot of first (and lasts) with this build. I'll try to explain that in a bit.

The kit has already been removed on numerous sites so I'll keep the summary brief.

The kit is by Special Hobby that was released in association with Red Roo banner in 2016. Included are vacform canopies, photoetch details, white metal gear and a selection of five schemes./ Indications from other builds are the RAAF roundels are partly transparent. I might end up masking and painting theme. A CD with a comprehensive gallery of flying warbirds, museum and historical period images tops off the extras.

First up it's build the interior resin components on the floor of the pit. The floor is integral with the top of the wing centre section. Very handy.

The suggested green is very vibrant and doesn't match the provided reference photos. I've ended up mixing a 50:50 brew of the suggested green with Gunze interior green. It look much better than the first attempt. The fire bottle is the integrally molded part painted up in red.

IMG20210426164456.jpg

The same colour for the floor and section members was applied to the side walls followed with detail painting using Vallejo's acrylics and some enamel washes. Once done, I shot the lot of it with Mr Color flat clear which gives it a nice dull finish.

When it comes to assembling the parts I found that joining the rear fuselage seams was the best method. I came back 24 hours later and cleaned up the seam with a mix of CA and talc. By taking this assembly route I could position the fuselage around the lugs on the floor and then join the forward seam across the firewall and small forward fuselage section ahead of the windscreen. I didn't get a photo of it but I put a section of square tube behind the instrument panel to reinforce this area as it was only strength in the CA tha twas holding the part together.

IMG20210426164528.jpg

IMG20210426164536.jpg

IMG20210430173438.jpg

IMG20210430173444.jpg

In the meantime I made a start on the engine, prop and separating the vac canopy. I managed to separate it cleanly without needing to revert to the second one. This was one of my firsts...ie playing with vac canopies. This isn't something I want to do regularly!!!

IMG20210503144138.jpg

IMG20210503144103.jpg

IMG20210426164632.jpg

That'll do for now. I should be along in a few days with the next round of updates.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Not seen one of these built, but do like Special Hobby kits. Sounds an interesting collaboration too.  Will watch with interest. Great start.

Chris

Thanks Chris. It's out of my area of interest so I'm watching with interest too.

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Fantastic, I do enjoy seeing CAC projects built. I've only seen one Winjeel in person but would love to one day build a kit - maybe in FAC configuration.

Thanks Zac. There is an option for a camo FAC bird on the decal sheet plus an alternate instrument panel for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Mick,

interesting choice of subject. Have you decided on a marking variant already (Fanta Can scheme, FAC camo, ...)?

Just one word of warning: For whatever reason the seats won't fit with the centre console installed in the cockpit (I think it was mentioned in a build in Military Illustrated Modeller magazine?). So best test fit before you paint them.

Cheers

Markus

On 5/4/2021 at 6:30 PM, Shorty84 said:

Hi Mick,

interesting choice of subject. Have you decided on a marking variant already (Fanta Can scheme, FAC camo, ...)?

Just one word of warning: For whatever reason the seats won't fit with the centre console installed in the cockpit (I think it was mentioned in a build in Military Illustrated Modeller magazine?). So best test fit before you paint them.

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus.

Thanks for that reminder! I do have the article and I have been using it as a reference during the build. I have painted the seats but I've found that thinning the side walls and removing the trim wheels from the side and centre consoles allow the seats to fit. I'll have to repaint the side walls but that won't be a problem.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

G'day all.

Far too long between drinks and the Winjeel has taken shape and even has its first colour.

Today's job was two hours of masking followed by ten of painting ten minutes. I love this modelling caper. Some fresh Gunze H14 Orange mixed with a dram of Gunze H33 Russet and the 1/48 Redroo Winjeel is starting to look the part.

The scheme I'm doing is a bit different to the box options but nothing a few extra pieces of tape won't sort. The locations for the roundels have been masked as the decals are slightly translucent and I don't want the line between the two colours showing though. It's something that has reported in a few online builds.

Cheers,

Mick

IMG20210912124148-01.jpg

IMG20210912130341-01.jpg

IMG20210912130513-01.jpg

IMG20210912130520-01.jpg

• Like 7

18 hours ago, ianwau said:

Nice bit of masking and painting! Following with interest!

thanks Ian.

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This has progressed well since I last saw it.

Looking great with the scheme taking shape too.

Cracking job. 

Chris

I've been taking my time with it Ian and progress picture haven't been high the list. It's being built for a customer and he has asked for it to be failry clean.

1 hour ago, Bell209 said:

I've got an NKR Model of this - I'm sure it won't come out anywhere near as nicely as your Red Roo one is!

Hey Rob. I've got a mate who built the NKR one. Lots of scratch-building and gnashing of teeth were some of the phrases he used.😂😂😂😂😂😂

Cheers all.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

Lots of scratch-building and gnashing of teeth were some of the phrases he used.

Yeah, the engine's a blob - I bought the Metallic Details R-985 for it but it's still going to be a challenge! Still, it was only $20!

Hi all

Some good Thursday night progress on the Winjeel. There's a few small touch ups to do on the white around the elevator hinges. Once they're done it'll be clear coat ready for decals on the weekend.

Cheers,

Mick

IMG20210916193845-01.jpg

IMG20210916193853-01.jpg

IMG20210916211026-01.jpg

IMG20210916211034-01.jpg

IMG20210916211103-01.jpg

IMG20210916211109-01.jpg

IMG20210916211048-01.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all.

I had a minor setback over the weekend. I was hoping to have started if not completed decalling by Sunday night but issues with lifting paint around the elevator joint had me striping paint, sanding and feathering existing paint and then masking and re-applying the white, orange and silver. Much gnashing of teeth and swearing ensued. It took several hours for the repairs but they've come out fine. I'll let those pics speak for themselves.

Since affecting the repairs I've applied the gloss coat and started the decalling with the roundels first. It's finally got some personality.

I think the next lot of pictures will have it finished before delivery to the customer.

Cheers,

Mick

IMG20210918102447.jpg

IMG20210918102501.jpg

IMG20210919165527.jpg

IMG20210922070629-01.jpg

IMG20210922070643-01.jpg

IMG20210922070706-01.jpg

• Like 4