2001-inspired kitbash

Have been playing around with sticking bits of plastic together on a bit of a 2001/Silent Running inspired build. Started off as just a little probe, now seems to have grown into something a bit larger. Lots of Plastruct and Evergreen helping to detail this.

Current progress below:

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

A bit of an update - have finished sticking bits to the drive section so have thrown some primer on it to see how it looks (I love the acrylic balls from EMA Model Works)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Tak5haka
spacing the images
  • Like 11

13 minutes ago, Richard E said:

That's a very credible looking ship, although I've got to admire your courage perching your masterpiece next to a very precarious drop over to your stairs. 

Thanks - I was very worried too as it is quite back-heavy and a bit wobbly ...

They were very quick photos!

• Haha 2

That's *very* cool, I love what I'm dubiously going to dub the "long stick with balls at one end" class of space-ships, they remind me of a golden age of speculative designs. Yours has some neat digressions though like what looks like a bridge in the centre.

Do the EMA balls have seams? I've attempted to use ping-pong balls before but they're hard to work with.

Cheers,

Will

Have started the detailing on the forward comms/sensor array. The main dish is from a 1/72 Slave 1, the rear (hidden on this photo) is made up from spares from Thunderbird 3, a 1/35 Tiger and a Short Sunderland engine with side details from some tiny Karl kits I had along with Plastruct trusses and spare Enterprise forward deflectors mounted on landing gear from the 1/144 Millennium Falcon. I have a very broad range of spares ...

spacer.png

• Like 4

It's a very nice kitbash indeed. And, judging by your hand in one shot, bigger than I first thought.

Your bits boxes sound like mine for varied parts. I'm just starting a Star Wars kitbash.

I've bookmarked EMA model supplies. I'll have a look later, though it looks like they don't do paypal?

I'd say that you need something on the end of that truss at the rear. A sensor box with a rearward facing dish, maybe?

I wil pop back later and see how it's going. Pete.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gavingav said:

Very nice, looks like a ship from Toho's Bye bye Jupiter

Funny you should mention that...I’m building a ship from Bye Bye Jupiter right now. I’ll start a thread soon.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2021 at 04:51, gavingav said:

Very nice, looks like a ship from Toho's Bye bye Jupiter

spacer.png

Wasn't aware of that film - I am now! It will look even more like this as I am using some Plastruct trusses inbetween the command/habitat module and the forward comms array (was going for a Valley Forge look, but this has the same thing!).

• Like 3

So today I put on the base colour and some panels - need to tidy up some of the paint peel and knock the panels back a bit before adding the final decorative colours and decals. Getting harder to photograph!

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9