DYNAVECTOR 1/48 SUPERMARINE SCIMITAR F1

I have completed my build of the Dynavector Supermarine Scimitar kit which I started just on a year ago after being motivated to tackle a vacform by Martian & his Hawker Horsley vacform WIP.

Subject aircraft of th is build  is Supermarine Scimitar F1 XD248 195/R circa 1959/1960 ish.

Kit type is a vacform which was surprisingly easy to put together although a lot of work was involved in preparation but satisfying when it started coming together.

The Dynavector kit really captures the handsome lines of the Scimitar but I elected to make changes to reshape  the fin, tailplane and windscreen which were the only misgivings I had with the kit.

Some scratch building was done & some after market was added to add detail to the model-

• Boundary layer vents plus various other vents were opened and modelled
  • Wheel bays were given some added details with Evergreen strip and wire.
  • A lot of scratch building was done in the cockpit although I did use the kit side consoles otherwise the rest was build with plastic sheet and the instrument panel was  fitted with Airscale dial decals
  • Quickboost Reflector Gunsight added.
  • new canopy vacformed reshaping front windscreen & flare on sliding part.
  • An old Cutting Edge Martin Baker MK4 ejection seat was fitted.
  • Wing trailing edge flaps were lowered as per a photo I saw leaving the rest retracted.
  • Wing fold detailing and jury struts were scratch built.
  • Intake and exhaust FOD blanks scratch built.
  • 200 Gal inner wing tanks were sourced from a Kinetic SHAR outer 150 Gal tanks from the kit.
  • CMK Palouste Starter Pod.
  • Flightpath Buddy Pod  fitted with scratch built trolley & home made stencil  decals.
  • Brengun Deck Tug.
  • A set of Flightpath FAA wheel chocks

The WIP link is below -

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235074267-supermarine-scimitar/

Thanks for your interest

CJP

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG-1874.jpg 

IMG-1877.jpgIMG_1876.jpgIMG_1878.jpgIMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1846.jpgIMG-1889.jpgIMG_1841.jpgIMG-1887.jpg

IMG-1869.jpgIMG-1882.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

Thanks again to the intergalactic motivator.

CJP

Edited by CJP
photo
  • Like 64
  • Thanks 3

-Y've perfecty rendered justice to this graceful machine for a twin jet. Almost a Spitfire look... The accompanying mule, refuelling pod and external power unit make the day...Dynavector  produced very demanding kit  never produced elsewhere at the time they were issued. I still have their Wyvern in my stash........Hopfully to be built one of these days........

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

-Y've perfecty rendered justice to this graceful machine for a twin jet. Almost a Spitfire look... The accompanying mule, refuelling pod and external power unit make the day...Dynavector  produced very demanding kit  never produced elsewhere at the time they were issued. I still have their Wyvern in my stash........Hopfully to be built one of these days........

Thanks for the feedback IPMS19 - I have built the Trumpeter Wyvern but must admit I still have the Dynavector Wyvern in my stash too

CJP

That’s one heck of a build and the accompanying props all add up to a first class modelling project. I certainly don’t have the skills to tackle this type of modelling, however would add a Scimitar to the stash in a heartbeat if one of the mainstream guys ever produced one. 
Cheers and very well done... Dave 

• Thanks 1

It looks absolutely stunning , a fantastic build and lovevthe display,  I like the look of the oils leakings that have flowed back along the bottom of the fuselage, great effects. 

Great work too, I have cut my first vacform fuselage halves on a Vacform to give it a go, but can only dream of this sort of model from a Vacform.   

Chris

• Thanks 1

"You see Joey.... When an F-4 Phantom and a Supermarine Swift love each other, very very much...."

All kidding aside, a very nice model. And as a reward for your hard work, Airfix or Clear Prop will announce one in their 2022 lineup.

Passing this thread onto John Flexman, who flew Scimitars back in the day.

david

• Thanks 1

Lordy, some great work going on there.  Well done. 

As soon as I start my Dynavector kit, Airfix will announce one, correct?  

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed.  Love the look & the Scimitar has the looks and the purpose.  And a Dynavector kit too - very nicely done

Edited by bar side
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David H said:

"You see Joey.... When an F-4 Phantom and a Supermarine Swift love each other, very very much...."

All kidding aside, a very nice model. And as a reward for your hard work, Airfix or Clear Prop will announce one in their 2022 lineup.

Passing this thread onto John Flexman, who flew Scimitars back in the day.

david

Thanks for your comments David & I hope it evokes fond memories for him

Stunning Job on the Scimitar and all it's extras.  This is the one Dynavector kit I've wanted but to date has eluded me, Ah well maybe one day if the modeling Gods are nice.:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

As soon as I start my Dynavector kit, Airfix will announce one, correct?  

You certainly wouldn't hear me complain. I think the Scimitar is a good looking airplane. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Airfix actually produces the kit. 

• Like 1