Tamiya T-55

Build #4 for 2021 is Tamiya's venerable T-55. I added fuel lines for the tanks on the fenders using copper wire and I also added the wiring behind the headlights with wire and a spare fragment of photo etched brass. I wanted to build the kit with open hatches, but there is nothing on the inside of the pretty busy commander's hatch, so that plan was shelved.

I used the most "Society" looking decals to make a Russian machine. Tamiya also gives you markings for Polish and Czech tanks, but there are several prominent details missing to build a proper Polish or Czech production T-55.

I painted my model using Mig Ammo colors. They sprayed ok, but remained tacky for a long time. In fact there is still a spot under the tank that is tacky to the touch - this about a month after painting! 

I experimented with artists oils mixed with pigment powders to give the tank a dusty appearance, with clumps of dry mud built up around recesses and crevices. I also played around with paint flicking to simulate mud splashes. At some point, I'm going to attach it to a diorama base.

Overall, a fairly fun project, but if you only ever build one T-55, go for one of the many Miniart kits. You get much better detail, more production options, and for about the same cost as Tamiya.

Please leave constructive criticism/feedback

PXL_20210502_230224264-XL.jpg

PXL_20210502_230321964-XL.jpg

PXL_20210502_230340521-XL.jpg

PXL_20210502_230356114-XL.jpg

PXL_20210502_230415121-XL.jpg

PXL_20210502_230433355-XL.jpg

• Like 25

That's a nice dusty finish that you've achieved there. Nice work. It's a very good kit. I built the Tiran 5 for which Tamiya the T-55 kit as the basis. Very prototypical.

John.

Hi SoftScience. Another beautiful build with superb weathering! I have this kit in the stash so I'm going to bookmark your RFI for future reference! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1