28 Sqn Whirlwind: A highly detailed, shake and bake kit

An amazeing build and fantastic result. One question and one thought though., What's E6k?

How about makeing the rotor head incorperating some of the blade root as that would give you more that 1mm depth for any supporting rod, maybe enough to allow you to add/remove the blades if transportation is required.

Gondor

• Like 1

Absolutely fabulous build Alan, what skills that many of us admire and aspire to!  If you were in UK, I'm sure your would bring this to the Scalemodelworld show at Telford in November. If it didn't win a 'Gold' award, I would sack the judges!

As for your next project, with the Hong Kong theme still in mind, I presume that 1/48th Scout conversion from the Fujimi Wasp will be next, as I can't see the S&M Scout and Wasp kits appearing now. However, perhaps a RHKAAF Alouette III might be an easier built, but with your skills I'll bet you could 3D print a new nose to convert AMP's 1/48 Westland-Sikorsky Dragonfly to a RHKAAF Westland Widgeon....hmmm, food for thought? 

Many thanks for sharing this wonderful build.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

oh you lot. All that praise and it wasn't even finished yet  :D

The one glaring omission on this build and the one thing (well, one of two things) that was preventing me from crossing the finishing line were the roundels.  I had to purchase an Xtradecal set from Hannants to get the right size, and it took it's time in the post.  Then every time I went to the basement for a session, I kept forgetting about them.  Eventually however... they got stuck on.  Nothing exciting, just the usual faffing about - gloss coat, stick, settle, gloss, matt, done.

PA020023.jpg

That just left what I hope was the very last thing(s), and that I haven't completely forgotten about summat else too - the pitch change rods.  For whatever reason I had neglected these when building the rotor head and only remembered at the very last minute. I even had to order in some fresh supplies to complete the job. 

For the rods I've used 0.5mm styrene rod as I needed some flexibility when dropping the rotor head onto the swash plate.

After several trials I ended up using 7.5mm lengths of rod.  To make life just a little easier, I used GS Hypo to glue the rods into the rubber balls on the rotor head to allow the rods to flex as I contorted myself trying to get the three rods into the three receiving holes on the swash plate.  It wasn't the easiest job in the world but it could have been a lot worse.

Yup, it's the white things

PA020025.jpg

They were then painted up and I followed up with some glamour shots now she's fully dressed with her make up on.

PA020026.jpg

I still love that filter. Surprisingly effective.

PA020027.jpg

Since I normally don't do RFI's, I'll just throw the rest of the shots in here

PA020029.jpg

PA020030.jpg

PA020031.jpg

PA020032.jpg

PA020028.jpg

PA020036.jpg

PA020035.jpg

and there we have it. Complete.

A Whirlwind HAR10 or something reasonably close to it.  She's already in the display cabinet, taking up the very last slot in there so now I need to hunt done another cabinet.

Thanks to everyone who came along for the ride and commented - Yes, it was a fun build even though there were a few hairy moments.

Now, where's that Scout...

*edit*

Yes Ian, I did get the cyclics added a few posts back. Once I took the masking off I had plenty of light to see where I had drilled the holes for them

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Well there it is in all its final, finished glory. It's been a real pleasure to follow the build, a very educational one at that. From beastly ancient plastic to complete stunner in 22 pages! 

Richie

• Like 1

What a wonderful Whirlwind! A great journey from a kit that gave no sign it could end this way, but of course we all knew it would.

Enjoyed every bit of it.

Yes, the Scout.............................:nod:

Terry

• Haha 1

Now ain't she purdy fellas?

I suppose I am going to lose my reference work into the back pages, blart blart.   :(

The filter seems to be in my future as some Borneo Whirlys got them during the Confrontation, I intend cribbing furiously because that one is fabulous.

Stunning Hendie, an absolute stunner, cor.

• Like 1

As others have already said this is an absolutely stunning example of micro engineering.

Looking forward to watching your Scout come to life as well as your Wapiti

Stay safe          Roger 

• Like 1

That is one absolutely impressive model, Alan :worthy: :worthy:  I'm not a fan of choppers, nor I particularly fancy this type, but I am a fan of great modelling, and this one definitely falls in that category  :clap: :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A day of sitting around in a hospital bedroom today allowed me to study this thread in details. I think it’s one of the most exceptional builds I’ve ever seen on this site. Absolutely fabulous.

• Thanks 1