28 Sqn Whirlwind: A highly detailed, shake and bake kit

At the risk of sounding like a broken record…it’s the integration of the printer technology alongside more traditional skills and materials that I love about this build Alan.

I know your initial plan was to avoid using the printer - but to my mind it’s the very fact that you ended up effectively obliged to use it for items like the window seals, rotor head and blades and exhausts that’s a most effective proof of the usefulness and efficacy of the technology.  It (and your skill in exploiting it) has enhanced this build wonderfully without detracting a jot from the joy of the more traditional multi-media skills you’ve deployed.

I’m also thinking that by the time I get around to learning enough CAD, and/or feeling able to build a strong enough case to persuade Mrs F of the reasonable need for a printer (provisional time estimate being retirement from work) the use of a printer will count as ‘traditional skills and materials’ anyway :D  Query for example whether use of a cutter is now considered ‘traditional’? (haven’t got one of them neither :fraidnot:).

Anyways - latest ramble over -  Bravo Sir!

Edited by Fritag
Typo
  • Like 10

Great undercart Alan of course, now.

And fabulous everything else.

(No Bill had not forgotten any Scouts, at all. Waiting patiently. Must try again to draw technically... End of message...)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hendie said:

If need be, I can paint the last stripe.  I have to paint the blade tips yellow anyways. 

You said it yourself.... paint.....

:rofl2:  :rofl2:

Excellent job with the rotor and the blades :worthy: :worthy:  (and I totally concur with what Steve @Fritag says :) )

Ciao

• Like 3

Great to see the printer back in action again, and another useful tip regarding supports too. Most of the time all we read is "more supports", but this shows it actually takes some logical thinking to figure it out sometimes!

Ian

• Like 1

I do love this model, possibly although it is a stretch, more than Walter a while back.

I doubt if I will ever learn how to do draughting by computer, but I will have a go occasionally.

But I detect a small omission in your armoury Alan.

As you know I tend to enjoy helicoptery and its associated gubbinsery, not a small part of which are the necessary stripings and outliningses for hatches.

May I introduce you to my very good (maybe best!() friends the Microscale colour stripes

Et violet!

P1010011.jpg

Made, as they proudly proclaim in the USofA

P1010012.jpg

I can always make up the rotor blade stripes from these, can I suggest an addition to the shopping list for very few beer tokens too.

Reminds me I need to check on other available colours for my Whirlwind and Dragonfly build coming this autumn on these pages...

• Like 6

Great updates Hendie, you are slowly bending (unbending more appropriate in the case of the blades?) to your will. Great save on the last set of blades, 3d printing looks fraught with many dangers but incredibly useful too. Looks ike you had a highly productive holiday weekend!

Richie

• Like 1

Thanks to all who commented - much appreciated as always.  I'm in a bit of a rush this weekend so haven't got time to feed the pigeons and there's a lot to get through so without further wotsits... Oh, before I forget, Bill - thanks for posting that info on the yellow stripes. I'll definitely have to look into that as I feel there will be more helo's in my life sometime

After leaving you all last week, I focused on getting the rotor head and blades up to speed for the finishing line.  The yellow stripes were applied, the blade tips sprayed, and a bit of detail painting on the mechanical gubbinses.

P9070001.jpg

But I wasn't too happy with the green I had chosen.  I had picked a green other than the humbrol I had used on the fuselage as I wanted some differentiation going on, unfortunately the green I had chosen was a bit too vibrant for my liking.  It doesn't look so bad in the photo here, but the difference in hue was far too strong.

P9080003.jpg

Time to learn a new skill then I fear.  I knocked the color back by spraying a very thinned coat of light grey over the surfaces.  I sprayed from leading edge to trailing edge to try and achieve some "weathering" effects. After that I sprayed along the length of the blade a few times but was deliberately heavier on the outboard edge as I figured they would be slightly more worn due to the relative airspeeds along the blades Once that was done, a flat coat was applied to bring it all together and seal things in.  I'm a lot happier with those blades now.

P9080004.jpg

In other news, I've been reading about other peoples woes using Alclad paints.  Something I noticed in this and other builds is that the Alclad flat coat, while giving a great finish, always seems to remain tacky for a week or more.  I used Testors flat coat on the blades and it sprayed beautifully and was perfectly dry within 30 minutes.  I think I'm officially dropping the Alclad clears from my Armory with immediate effect.

Wile I was fading the main rotor blades, I remembered to do the same with the tail rotor.

.P9080006.jpg

Now it was time for the really delicate stuff.  Scale model rotor heads are certainly not the easiest things to handle, and one single slip of concentration can destroy and blade or worse.

Another issue I faced with printing the rotor head and trying to keep things in scale was that the actual mounting area for the blades was less than ideal. About 2mm or thereabouts.

To give this rotorhead some chance of success I pinned the ends of each blade, then filed a small Vee slot on the rotor head for the pin to locate in. I did this with both the upper and lower head castings so that they would in effect, trap the pin in place when assembled... then remembered that I was using a 2mm diameter tube as the main shaft holding everything together, and it had to pass through one rotor casting and into the top casting to secure everything.  That meant that the locating/strengthening pins I was using were about 1mm in length.  Ouch.

P9090008.jpg

Talk about fragile.  Even with superglue securing the pins, the moment along those blades was putting a lot of stress on that joint.

P9090009.jpg

a test fit showed that it worked so that was a bonus.  The blades could be doing with having just a little less droop, but they do pass over the spine without chopping the tail off which is the main thing.

P9090010.jpg

Top casting fitted to the rotor head.  It's looking just complicated enough to be believable as an assembly.

P9090011.jpg

dry fit of the tail rotor to check nothing is amiss.  Cor... things are fairly moving along this week.

P9090012.jpg

One of those gratuitous feel good shots.  I think this could pass for a WW HAR10

P9090013.jpg

she's actually quite mean and business looking

P9090014.jpg

Close up of the rotor head assembly (still not finished yet)

P9090016.jpg

This shot shows the issue of the lever moment better - look how small a purchase area the blade root has within the head itself. (note to self - I've knocked off the torque link )

P9090017.jpg

Just as a reminder, here are the original kit parts

P9100024.jpg

Nope, that's not perspective causing the huge size disparity - the width of the blades is the same on both versions here.  The kit part really is that big.

P9100025.jpg

After all that fun stuff, it was off with her head again.  This time to add the droop stops, which were then painted after this shot was taken.  Ah... my paint weathering attempt shows up on the underside of the blades in this shot.  My first attempt wasn't a total failure.

P9100026.jpg

Time for greebles. 

The aerial was fitted.

P9100028.jpg

Followed by the transmission cover on the tail pylon

P9100029.jpg

Sliding window - I even remembered to add the handles

P9100030.jpg

'Nuther sliding window. The rescue hoist, and I just remembered in time to fit the pitot.  Oh, and you can see I finally fitted the wipers :mental:  What a job that was.  It must have taken me all of 45 minutes to fit both of those. Of course one broke, then blatantly refused to join back together for about 20 minutes of cursing.

Shame about the windscreen though - I really should have taken more care of trying to keep the inner surfaces clean.

P9100031.jpg

and this one's for Crisp.  I even remembered to add the eyebolt on top of the Jesus nut.

P9100033.jpg

The cabin door was fitted using E6k.  At the moment it's only secured at the top. I'm waiting for the E6k to cure as I need to flex the door inwards at the bottom to meet the fuselage.

P9100034.jpg

I believe, and I may well be wrong, but I think that is everything with the exception of the roundels. Hopefully they will be here next week so they can get fitted and I can add this one to the cabinet.

In the meantime I'll bore you with some more shots

P9100036.jpg

Whirlwindy enough?  Hey, you can even see the droop stops.

P9100037.jpg

Who'd have though I could have wrangled a HAR10 out of that old H19 from 1959?

P9100038.jpg

For the most part it has been a fun build.  There were a couple of hair pulling moments, but on the whole, a very enjoyable build.

I just need to figure out which kit gets priority next.

Once the roundels come in, I'll post the end results and close this build out - Many thanks to all of you who tagged along for the ride, and to all those who commented and offered help & suggestions throughout the build.

Oh crud... just remembered - I still have to add the pitch change rods on the rotor head. I knew there was something I had missed. If anyone spots any other omissions, let me know (you know who you are, Bill!)

I don't know if I'll get that done this weekend as we're off to a Pow Wow tomorrow.  I've never been to one before so it should be an interesting experience.

Nanticoke-Powwow-Flyer_FINAL-pdf-464x600

• Like 23

8 hours ago, hendie said:

could be doing with having just a little less droop

It must be the heat! :laugh:

Fabulous looking Whirly, young man. The rotor head is a triumph of miniaturisation. (amongst all the other clever bits, of course).

• Like 2

This is certainly impressive, Alan - especially looking at the close up pics :worthy:  :worthy: Lots of details, effective painting and the overall appearance: gorgeous! :clap: :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 2

On 10/09/2021 at 08:31, perdu said:

Reminds me I need to check on other available colours for my Whirlwind and Dragonfly build coming this autumn on these pages...

Whose dragonfly kit will you build, or will you print your own?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hendie said:

In the meantime I'll bore you with some more shots

Nothing boring at all about all the pictures. This is the most stunning transformation since Cinderella scrubbed up and put on her glad rags! 

I am officially in awe of all the different skills that have gone into this build. 

Richie

• Like 1

Beautifully Windwhirled Alan. 👏

14 hours ago, hendie said:

I don't know if I'll get that done this weekend as we're off to a Pow Wow tomorrow.  I've never been to one before so it should be an interesting experience.

But will you be taking part in the dance sessions? #hendietwerking

• Like 1
  • Haha 5