28 Sqn Whirlwind: A highly detailed, shake and bake kit

8 minutes ago, hendie said:

That's easy for you to say when you've got a load of tentacles to help you out.  Why are they called tentacles anyway?  An octopus only has eight - shouldn't they be called eightacles?  How many numeracles do you have anyway?  Can you detach them and they still wriggle when you're being chased like those little chit-chats?  So many questions.

Martians are complex beings. Usually we only have thirteen tentacles, twelve if you don't count that tentacle. We can however grow extra tentacles should the need arise; very handy for doing bi-plane rigging. These extra tentacles can be re-absorbed once they have out lived their usefulness, they would tend to trip one up otherwise.

Hope that's all clear.

Betentacled of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

Wow, that was some update! :worthy:

Impeccable decals placing, and those windows rubbers look ace! :clap: :clap:

I almost kinda like this chopper too...

:rofl:  :rofl:

Ciao 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, hendie said:

The one thing I am waiting for is when CO2 lasers become cheap enough that they're included in those little $199 laser cutters - easy PE and no need to mess about with chemicals.  I reckon 3 or 4 years maybe.

This cannot happen quickly enough for my purposes. Plus hours of fun cutting out your own toy gliders from balsa as well... 😁

I always love this phase of any of your builds Alan, all those purposeful bits of detailing and construction techniques are pretty symphonic at this stage and always an inspiration.

Your window rubbers (why am I reminded of my parents' Ford Anglia....?) look great in how they draw visual life across the bodywork like that and neat anticipation in conforming them in non-cured fashion.

• Like 2

Sorry Hendie, amongst all the reasoned debate going on, I should have mentioned that the model is looking fantastic now that she is on her wheels.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

Two fantastic updates Hendie, all that attention to detail has been well worth it. It looks magnificent! Those rubber seals worked out well too. Very close to the finish now, it looks like all those intricate interior details will be visible through the windows too. That makes me very happy so you must be chuffed to blazes!

Richie

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martian said:

Sorry Hendie, amongst all the reasoned debate going on, I should have mentioned that the model is looking fantastic now that she is on her wheels.

Martian 👽

Yes you should have Martian, isn't it splendid.

The undercart is set to be an understated tour-de-force Alan, completely sets 'the look' of the Whirly with its lovely stance.

3d printed window rubbers bespoke to suit the vagaries of a particular kit, you know what?

I can see those genius Czech businessmen casting after market goodies eyeing that prospect as we speak/write...

Wonderful Work Wish We Were Wapitibound While We Wait.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, hendie said:

Thanks Colin - much appreciated.  That was a great spot concerning the white disc reflection.

It seems that XP328 is a bit of an oddity then? Or maybe all the HK WW's?

It has black serials with RWB roundels and ROYAL AIR FORCE is not displayed anywhere, either on the tail boom, or fuselage.  In the shots of the sickly WW above, it would appear to be wearing the same scheme, and with the Wessex in the background confirming it to be 1972, yet it is still wearing a RWB roundel.

I can see RAF painted on the sides of WW shots I have with the HSS undersides, but none of the black birds seem to have RAF carved on them anywhere

Concerning the matt finish - the shot of XP328 appears to show a very matt finish, but those reflections you pointed out would not be possible on a matt finish (and on a dry pan too) . I'm guessing the graininess of the photo is making her skin look less than prystine. 

I might stay with the gloss finish on this build, just for a bit of variation as everything else I have is very much matt.  I've already strayed a little bit from the camo scheme, and now I've added the squadron crest on the tail boom - because I convinced myself I could see it on a tail boom of the WW's in the background in the shots above.

Hi Alan, As with everything military, there are always exceptions. If the cab didn't need refurbishing it could have a escaped a trip to the paint shop, hence it keeping the RWB roundels. Also not having the RAF/ROYAL AIR FORCE on the sides. Maybe a local theatre ruling?

Re the white circle on the ramp. If the sun was almost or overhead in the height of summer, I think there would deffinietly be a reflection whether the scheme was matt or gloss.

I'm sure the final finish will still be a masterpiece.

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks Colin - much appreciated.  That was a great spot concerning the white disc reflection.

It has black serials with RWB roundels and ROYAL AIR FORCE is not displayed anywhere, either on the tail boom, or fuselage.  In the shots of the sickly WW above, it would appear to be wearing the same scheme, and with the Wessex in the background confirming it to be 1972, yet it is still wearing a RWB roundel.

I can see RAF painted on the sides of WW shots I have with the HSS undersides, but none of the black birds seem to have RAF carved on them anywhere

Concerning the matt finish - the shot of XP328 appears to show a very matt finish, but those reflections you pointed out would not be possible on a matt finish (and on a dry pan too) . I'm guessing the graininess of the photo is making her skin look less than prystine. 

I might stay with the gloss finish on this build, just for a bit of variation as everything else I have is very much matt.  I've already strayed a little bit from the camo scheme, and now I've added the squadron crest on the tail boom - because I convinced myself I could see it on a tail boom of the WW's in the background in the shots above.

Hi Alan, As with everything military, there are always exceptions. If the cab didn't need refurbishing it could have a escaped a trip to the paint shop, hence it keeping the RWB roundels. Also not having the RAF/ROYAL AIR FORCE on the sides. Maybe a local theatre ruling?

Re the white circle on the ramp. If the sun was almost or overhead in the height of summer, I think there would deffinietly be a reflection whether the scheme was matt or gloss.

Colin

Excellent update...

Colin

Excellent update...

Colin

thanks for all the comments folks, appreciated as always.

'Tis joyous times here at Hendungeons. It's a holiday weekend here in the colonies so no work on Monday, and with any luck I'll be on the final stretch for the Whirleybird by the time Monday rolls around.

I'll start with something easy to get the juices flowing. The cabin step.

The usual brass rod was brought into play

P9010004.jpg

followed by tiny little slivers of plasticard to form the webbed supports at the fuselage interface

P9010005.jpg

Then the step itself was glued onto the brass rod.  I used a scribing tool to form a Vee groove on the underside of the step which aligned the step to the rod as well as providing a nice gluing surface.

P9010011.jpg

all painted grimy flat black and job done. I also remembered to fit the nav lights, one of which can be (barely) seen just aft of the undercarriage oleo.

P9030021.jpg

Now on to the meaty stuff...

The rotor head is the main stumbling block (if we ignore the fact that I don't have roundels yet) to finishing off this build, and also ignore the fact we don't yet have rotor blades.  Let stumbling over that block commence..

First thing to get out of the way is the mesh cover around the MRGB. For that, we need some mesh and some plasticard. No, I don't know why we need a cocktail stick.

P9010002.jpg

glued mesh and plastic together and anything that isn't MRGB mesh cover related is removed.

P9010003.jpg

MRGB is then stuck in place with E6k and the mesh cover painted and fixed in position.  I have a feeling I should have tilted the MRGB a tad further forward :hmmm:

P9030020.jpg

Now for the missing bits.  During the week I had the opportunity to start drawing up the rotor head and blades

Screenshot-2021-09-02-185805.png

even remembering to add droop to the blades

Screenshot-2021-09-02-185735.png

Everything was pretty much guesstimated based on the drawings I have, and using the old MkI eyeball on as many photos as I could lay my hands on.  

Screenshot-2021-09-02-185522.png

For the most part it was fun to do.  The hardest part of the exercise was finding shots of the relevant areas and some of this is purely guesswork.

Screenshot-2021-09-02-185606.png

The swash plate(s) - this was the area I had real trouble with trying to scratch build.  I managed to build something, but it couldn't really be called neat.  After going this far I decided I was going to print everything and take a look at the results. Only then would I determine if I was going down the printed parts route.  I know I said I was going to try and avoid that particular path, but sometimes it's really the only option.

Screenshot-2021-09-02-185644.png

That lower plate (the non-rotating plate is only 6mm in diameter. It's way better than my scratched parts (oops!).  No competition really.  Printed parts it is then.

P9030022.jpg

Here's a comparison shot between the kit part and my printed blade.  In all honesty, the kit blade is really not that bad (remember, this was designed/made in the 50's), and had it been molded in the correct rotation I would probably have stuck with that.

P9030016.jpg

I did have one issue with the blade though - the STL file completely missed translating the leading edge of the blade for some unknown reason (see pencilled arrows), and of course I didn't notice it until the print was finished. Yes, that 9 hour print! 

Not a huge deal really as it runs overnight and does its thing.  I've now got another print run going as I type - and this time I checked that the leading edge was actually there. 

I still found a use for this blade though and threw some color on it to see how the detail worked and if anything needed adjusting.

P9030004.jpg

I think I'm happy with that. Some dirty washing over that and it should look fine.

Now, more fun stuff.

At the lower edge of the windscreen, there are two windscreen washers and they, as well as the wiper blades are protected by a wire frame. Not just a simple wire frame mind you, a weirdly angled bendy type of frame, which centers on another bar prtruding from the center frame.

This was a case for the 0.2mm wire.

P9020012.jpg

which after an insane amount of cursing persuasion, fell into place.

P9030001.jpg

You'd think I would have remembered to glue the windscreen wipers in place before gluing that cage in place wouldn't you? 

P9030002.jpg

Now why on earth would I go an do a sensible thing like that eh?   

Well, it really boils down to the fact that I had completely forgotten to make the wipers until after I had glued that little cage in position.   :rofl2:

• Like 21

The nose wheels need a thin metal bracing bracket, telling you now so you have time to get it in before the painting is done. The front end looks wrong without it though.

The rotor gearbox does have a slight forward tilt but from looking at pictures and drawings it is not as obvious as the tilt on Walter's gearbox, yours looks fine.

5_Ace_Hendon_132.jpg

"That Perdu, I wish he'd get lost..."

• Like 4

14 hours ago, hendie said:

You'd think I would have remembered to glue the windscreen wipers in place before gluing that cage in place wouldn't you? 

We are but Human*, hence we make mistakes.

14 hours ago, hendie said:

Printed parts it is then.

Print and be damned, Sir! (To paraphrase the Duke of Wellington)

Lovely stuff as always. Can I reserve a front seat for the next Wessex build?

* Except for that Martian chap, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Greetings fellow modelers. It's the last day of the holiday weekend, but we have made a good bit of progress in matters rotary.

First though, let's feed the pigeons.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:35 PM, perdu said:

Just a word

Brilliant

👍

Too kind Bill, too kind

On 9/3/2021 at 6:53 PM, cngaero said:

My gast is once again utterly flabbered. 

This is a true masterclass. 

thanks cngaero.  Been dealing a bit with the flab myself recently. All this working form home stuff just leads to more sitting down modeling.

On 9/4/2021 at 3:51 AM, perdu said:

The nose wheels need a thin metal bracing bracket, telling you now so you have time to get it in before the painting is done. The front end looks wrong without it though.

The rotor gearbox does have a slight forward tilt but from looking at pictures and drawings it is not as obvious as the tilt on Walter's gearbox, yours looks fine.

<snip>

"That Perdu, I wish he'd get lost..."

That Perdu? I'm glad he's around, otherwise I'd miss things.  Bill, I had completely forgotten about those torque links and bracing thingies on the front wheels.  I'm so glad you reminded me.

On 9/4/2021 at 4:40 AM, Fritag said:

There is no greeblification like hendie greeblification.  Great mixture of cutting edge tech and traditional skill.  All wholly mastered - obviously….

Thanks Steve. Not so many greebles this time around. Just more millstones, I mean milestones.

On 9/4/2021 at 8:57 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

We are but Human*, hence we make mistakes.

Print and be damned, Sir! (To paraphrase the Duke of Wellington)

Lovely stuff as always. Can I reserve a front seat for the next Wessex build?

* Except for that Martian chap, of course. 

yeah... I'm still looking for that Wessex bird.  They're pretty rare these days.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:21 PM, giemme said:

I'm slightly impressed.  No, make it very impressed. Heck, I'm gobsmacked!

:gobsmacked:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio.  and in color too!

On 9/5/2021 at 3:42 PM, Head in the clouds. said:

Sunday be the day of rest but not for hendie, god created the world in six days and on the seventh he rested, I will not pull you up for taking a tad longer to create something so fine and godly .

I can't say yesterday was a day of rest.  More a day of many things.  With the work that is going on with the WW, it was a case of do a bit, wait a bit and so on. I diversified a tad and at one point I had 4 different builds on my bench:  Whirlwind, Scout (yes, that Scout), Wapiti, and of all things, a Spitfire Xiv. But back to matters at hand.

Whirlwinds.  In particular, Bill's observant observation above - I had forgotten the greeblies around the front wheels.  A quick search brought forth a couple of pieces if ss wire, some plasticard, and two pieces of F2b(I think?) from the scrap box.

P9040001.jpg

Holes were drilled in the fuselage to mount the wires, plasticard was cut into tiny, and I mean tiny, rectangles, and the long skinny bits were removed from the F2b wotsits which let them pretend to be torque links.  That lot was then glued in position

P9040002.jpg

then painted black.  Does that work Bill?

P9050012.jpg

That's another job ticked off the list that Bill's keeping for me.

The printer has been taking a bit of a pounding this last week or two so while it was pounding away, I printed off some exhausts. A whole bunch of them actually.

The exhaust on the WW doesn't have the gap seen on the Wessex so the exhaust needed to be a good fit to the opening. With that in mind, I printed off some exhausts at 9.05mm, 9.15mm, and 9.25mm - a couple of each to play with.

The WW exhaust appears to curve immediately it exits the fuselage, To get that curve, I printed the exhausts a tad longer than needed, then had a go at trimming them to size to get the right appearance. 

P9040007.jpg

Nothing fancy here - just pure guesswork and luck... and enough spares to play with.

P9050010.jpg

After a bit if faffing about, I had an exhaust that appeared right, and was a good fit in the opening, so it was painted up with Alclad shiny aluminum to start, followed by pale burnt metal, then finally a touch of smoke just around the edge.  The photo doesn't capture the color variation well, but it's close enough, and one of my better attempts.

P9060002.jpg

From the side...  Tick!

P9060003.jpg

It was time to get serious with that rotor head.  I had started printing the rotor blades and it was a 9 hour print job as the blades were too long to lay flat on the print bed and had to be angled upwards.  I'm just glad I could get them to print as one piece.

9 hours to get the rotor head ready then.

I added a small brass spacer to the swash plate, then added a few drops of Mr Dissolved Putty masquerading as the canvas boot. As the putty dried off I manipulated it with a cocktail stick to add folds and creases, not that you will ever be able to see them.

P9040004.jpg

Then to keep Crisp happy, I made up the Jesus nut and hook greeble on top of the rotor head.  Can you see it?   I know I'm struggling to see the darned thing.

P9050013.jpg

SO, upper and lower rotor head plates ready to swing.

P9050014.jpg

Then I promptly knocked off the small wire ring on top of the head while picking it up.  Seems pretty obvious now.  As a preventive measure, I've made up another Jesus nut/hook with a drop leg and stored it in the WW parts bin. I also drilled a 0.3mm hole through the rotor head, so once the head is assembled, I can add the Jesus nut last to avoid knocking it off yet again.

With parts now ready, it was time for a dry fit to see how it was going to look

P9060001.jpg

I even added the torque links on the head.  Madness knows no bounds it appears.

P9050015.jpg

Works for me!

Now on to that millstone.  I mean milestone.

Nope. I mean millstone.

The 9 hour print job finished overnight and the parts were cleaned up pronto.  But wait... 

P9040005.jpg

Damn.  Somethings up.

As the parts were drying out I spotted something concerning.  I wasn't sure to start with but on closer examination, I found we had a gremlin.

Look at this wobble.  Is it a wobble? Okay, some kind of unwanted undulation going on.  This is the trailing edge of the blade and it was easier to photograph.   I had the same thing going on with the leading edge of the blade.  Not good.

P9040006.jpg

I then spent a while trying to sand out the wobbly undulations and although I got it looking pretty decent, I still wasn't happy with it.

Now, I knew what was causing it - that was easy.

This is a screenshot of the print setup.  Each of the wobble gremlins coincided with the attachment point of the support structure.  I had added plenty of supports to try and keep things in line, thinking more supports = good.  In this case though, more supports = bad.

My guess is that the blades were flexing ever so slightly during the printing process and the supports then grabbed the blades and brought them back in line - which resulted in a very slight direction change in the blade profile. 

Capture4.png

Well, what if we don't try and force the blades and just let them go where they want?  Anything was worth a try at this point.  Without blades I don't have a whirlwind, and making blades completely from scratch was something I would rather not have to deal with if at all possible.

I set up another print run with supports at the blade root, and only adding a final support towards the tip of the blade.   Set to print.  Go to bed.

Capture3.png

To be honest, I wasn't sure if these were going to fully print at all - would the flex be too much and they would just fail somewhere along the length?

The next morning, I was in for a pleasant surprise.

P9050008.jpg

They had printed. 

Here's a comparison shot of the first vs second batch of blades.

From the top - unaltered wibbly wobbly blade.

In the middle: wibbly wobbly blade after much sanding.  Better but no coconut.

At the bottom. a blade from the second (minimal supports) batch.  I think we have a winner.

P9050009.jpg

Then I almost ruined the entire set by curing them outside :rofl2:

These days I avoid using the UV nail light as the power is too strong and it generates a lot of heat, which is okay on small solid parts, but it can easily induce warping - so I avoid it.

I set the blades outside and laid them on top of a small wall on the patio.  I rested them so the blade bow was downwards and raised one end on a small stick.

Then forgot about them!  :wall:

When I finally remembered and dashed outside, as soon as I saw them, I could foresee another 9 hour print run in my very near future.  They had sagged and the droop was now about 20mm or greater - I had designed in a droop of about 6mm.  I had three of these 🍌

Normally, on a sunny day here I would leave parts for about 20 minutes to half an hour in the sun.  I had left these for about 3 hours.  Luckily it was quite a cloudy day - there was a tiny bit of flex left in the blades. 

Back down in the basement, I taped each blade to a small lollipop stick, reducing the droop to something reasonable.  I then stuck the blades under the UV nail lamp with two hopes... 1, that they had not fully cured yet and the UV would finish the cure and hopefully keep the droop set, and 2, that the heat generated by the lamps would induce warp, thus lessening the amount of droop they currently had.

I prepared myself for another print run.

But it worked!  :penguin:

That was a real shocker, but I was willing to take that as a win.  To close things off last night I hit the blades with some Alcad black primer, followed by some automotive high build primer and left them overnight.

This morning it was sanding time again and micromesh was used to try and eradicate some of the striations left by the printing process. 

P9060016.jpg

To keep Giorgio at bay, I threw some colors on - still got the detail painting on the working bits to do later

P9060017.jpg

At close of play today, I had the blades painted up in their basic colors, and glossed ready for decals (still no detail painting yet)

P9060018.jpg

Those Yellow stripes.  Always a pita aren't they?

Searching through my decal stash in desperation I found I still had some of the Hong Kong decals from my 1/48 Wessex build.  Phew!.

P9060019.jpg

'Cept I need 12 yellow stripes and I only have 11.   I'll just have to make up the last strip from offcuts. 

If need be, I can paint the last stripe.  I have to paint the blade tips yellow anyways. 

oh dear, back to work tomorrow... just when things were on a roll

• Like 19

This 3D printing lark is a bit of a good game. Printed blades now, plus the exhausts. Fantastic.

Now I'm sure I have been paying attention, but I don't recall being introduced to that little wee Wasp sitting on the cutting mat. It must have escaped from a Fujimi box somewhere in your cave?

Terry

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Now I'm sure I have been paying attention, but I don't recall being introduced to that little wee Wasp sitting on the cutting mat. It must have escaped from a Fujimi box somewhere in your cave?

Close Terry, but that Wasp is a Scout, or will be one day.  Maybe.

That build kind of stalled when I had to do some major surgery to the underside, but I've got that rectified now so this may be making a reappearance sometime soon

I'll probably carry on with the Scout, which was originally a diversion from Pegasus, as a diversion from the Spitfire.  I may be a heretic, but I just can't get excited by a Spitfire build (apart from Herr Fritag's of course - goes without saying dunnit?. Which I just said.  Oops).  It's a beautiful aircraft, or at least some of them are/were, but there are just so many builds on BM they've become rather mundane.  However, since 28 flew them at one point, I need to do one to complete the collection. But excited by it? Sorry.  That may be my first ootb build.

• Like 5

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

it’s taken two sittings but I’m caught up. Wow! ….

really just, wow! 
I’d love to invest in a printer but I don’t think I’d use it enough to warrant the outlay. I’ll just watch you pop out the occasional nugget of goodness to scratch that particular itch. The WW is looking spectacular and yes the rubber seals are simply to die for dahling. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

I’d love to invest in a printer but I don’t think I’d use it enough to warrant the outlay.

Johnny, I thought long and hard before investing in one, and I was much like you - I could only think of one or two things that I would be likely to print.  How wrong I was!

The price these days is almost  neglible. I think you can buy the version I have for the same price as two decent kits.  Since I've had it I think the longest it's lain idle is about two weeks. Whether it's a baby Yoda for the daughter, or a Wapiti for me, or some little gizzit for the home, there's always something cropping up that's worth printing.

• Like 4

Nice rotorhead and blades, Good save! That should make everyone happy. Except for that cheeky type in the corner by the Aspidistra.

Spitfire, OOTB? Good job I'm sitting down. Crikey!

The Wasp, take your time. Oh, you did.

• Haha 5