28 Sqn Whirlwind: A highly detailed, shake and bake kit

As a diversion from my Classic Airframes induced purgatory that is my Vampire build, I looked around the stash and saw this calling to me. Actually, I pulled out a Spitfire XIVe and stared at it for about 20 minutes and could not build up any enthusiasm, so pulled this out instead, and you know?  There was something captivating about it.

It's a highly detailed, well engineered, state of the art, shake and bake kit of a Westland Whirlwind HAR 10

P5020045.jpg

I lied.

At best, it's basic and to be honest, rather crude.  Lots of flash, bits that don't fit very well and bits that don't look like what they are supposed to look like.  ... Wait a mo', isn't that the Classic Airfames Vampire I'm describing? 

It could be, but it's not. 

This is an old kit, and has such lovely rivet detail that it makes the Frog Shackleton look almost sleek by comparison.

Don't believe me?  here then...

PC300011.jpg

To be honest I actually like some of that detail that's scattered about the airframe. Some of it is nicely done.  Most of it will be lost to the sanding fest that has become my life recently

Like I said, this kit is old.  I'm not sure if that says "Revell 1955" or "Revell, 1055".  Either way, this kit is older than me

PC300008.jpg

As you can see, there is an issue or two to be addressed in this build 

PC300009.jpg

but I love how they've gone for scale thickness of the skin.  

PC300010.jpg

Spacious if sparse interior

P5010026.jpg

Highly detailed parts that just drop together

P5010025.jpg

A couple of nice Parker Knolls

P5020034.jpg

instrument panel that thumbs its nose at todays standards

P5020035.jpg

and that's the interior. Yup, the entire interior!  From start to finish.

There'll be none o' this but we all know it's in there nonsense in this build

P5010027.jpg

Actually there will.  The interior is so basic that I'm only using the parts as templates to scratch my own.

Lots of fettling to be done here

P5010028.jpg

Slice, dice, and furiously fettle

P5010030.jpg

about an hour of making plastic dust later we have the gearbox housing - what? of course there's no gearbox!

P5020033.jpg

It fits I tell you!  It fits!

P5020031.jpg

There's something about these old kits that I like.  You know what you're dealing with here.  There's no pretense at being new mold or new tooling... even the picture on the box tells you that you just know it's going to be a bit horrific in there once you open it up.

I thoroughly enjoyed building the old Hawk Lysander - very much a blank canvas that you can tart up as much or as little as you like.  It's also a nice challenge to see if you can make something worthwhile out of such a basic kit - and it's so basic that almost anything you can do to it makes it look a bit better.

Somehow I'm going to have to build a cabin in here - after I shave off all those carbuncles on the inside

P5020032.jpg

Did I mention the windows?   Maybe not.  Probably shouldn't, but here we go anyway.  This is a kit "transparency" (term used loosely) 

P5020036.jpg

Which raises the question ... why?  I'm sure back in 1055 or whenever it was, kids were absolutely raving about this kit.

P5020037.jpg

I guess the designers looked at this first transparency and thought sod it!  They didn't bother with the rest.  There's a windscreen, and these.  No cabin windows at all.  None.   I see vacforming in my future.

What about those rivets though?  As you can see in the shot above and this below... a little bit of sanding goes a long way.

This was just a first bash at removing the rivet rash, and not too bad to be honest. More work needed obviously, but it wasn't too arduous.

I know I'll never get rid of all the rivet detail, but the suggestion of a rivet, or line of rivets here and there may not be all that bad tbh

P5020038.jpg

More carbuncle removal.  I haven't figured out yet how I'm going to approach the interior. - Those "walls" are a bit cave-like.  I could sheet them with styrene but I don't think I want to add any more thickness to the already fortress like walls

P5020043.jpg

By the end of play today I had the beginnings of an interior

P5020039.jpg

and the beginnings of an exterior.

P5020044.jpg

Despite it's rather agricultural appearance I am having fun with this kit.  Well, I suppose an evening with De Sade would be fun after a Classic Airframes kit.  Dysentery would be more fun than a CA kit

I mentioned earlier that there will be a few modifications.  What are they?  Well, somehow I have to scratch build a full interior - bulkheads, seats, cockpit etc. Oh, and this is an H19 and I'm building a HAR10, so it needs a complete new nose with a Vokes (?) filter, and it needs an undercarriage, not to mention, a new tail. The tail boom also has to be cut off and reattached at an angle (3 degrees? or ???).  I'm sure there are a few other changes required along the way too, but I'll deal with those as I get to them.

• Like 46

Well I have complete confidence in your building skills that anything that served in Hong Kong will end up as a masterpiece. Actually, I have been after one of these kits for years - the Revell H-19 - never knew it was reboxed by Hobby!  I believe it was the only 1/48th H-19 -cum-Whirlwind ever made and I am intrigued how you will make the HAR.10 nose, possibly from a block of balsawood?   I shall be following this with greatest interest.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AMB said:

Actually, I have been after one of these kits for years - the Revell H-19 - never knew it was reboxed by Hobby! 

Revell released it again last year I believe.  They should still be kicking around ebay.  I think I paid less than 20 bucks for this one.

Not quite sure how I'm going to do the nose yet.  I'm trying to stick to scratchbuilding as much as I can for this one and keep 3d printing to a minimum. I've good ways to go before I get to the nose, so plenty of time to formulate a plan if attack

• Like 5

Another Hendie helicopter (re)build, looking forward to watching you work your magic on this one!

Stay safe         Roger

• Like 1

Here we go again! I'm along for the ride. Build me a loadie seat would you. please. 

This is another one that was always on my to do list, but......

I recently finished reading a book called Borneo Boys*. It follows the RAF out there and their Whirlwind operations in support of the defence forces.

It also tells the tale of newly qualified RAF Helicopter pilots, aged on average around 22, who were posted straight out there.

A reoccurring theme was, 'They're young so they'll learn fast (they had to!) and, if you don't tell them it's near impossible, they'll just do it. (They did).

In the hot and high conditions the piston engined Whirlwinds and the early turbine ones were woefully undepowered.

It wasn't until the HAR 10's arrived that they had something that worked properly.

It was alluded to that the '10's' were built in the USA. Someone wrote that the build quality was better than the earlier Airframes.

And that leads us back to this build, in the USA. See what I did there?

It looks better sanded down, and don't forget the seat pans tilted, like the Wessex, for apparent cabin access (Ha Ha).

The Parker Knolls have got to go (to a model museum display, how to get it so wrong?).

I look forward to your struggles with trepidation and a large scotch in my hand for the scary bits.

BTW, You didn't mention blades?

*Highly recommended. IF you can find a copy.

• Like 3

It has a certain rustic charm so of course you know I will be along, chivvying or otherwise encouraging Les.

You know, Les Autres.

After my love affaire with the Dragonfly the Whirlwind was the deep seated soul of my love for rotary magic.

I recall being encouraged to climb aboard a HAR10 (why did I think has22, huh?) on the pan at Leconfield with the  small bunch of ATC Cadets we were accompanying there for summer camp.

"Look up here this is... That makes this... Oh hell will you all climb out this one is off on a shout...!"

Exciting times which encouraged several of my 'lads' to join up in later life.

So yes of course I am at the bar, I see we have peanuts already.

Pint please Edward!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, hendie said:

Like I said, this kit is old.  I'm not sure if that says "Revell 1955" or "Revell, 1055".  Either way, this kit is older than me

Older than you? Its even older than @general melchett! I converted this kit into a Whirlwind from HMS Protector back in 1988. If you treat it as a vacform that has been cut from its backing sheet, it doesn't seem so bad. I have another in the stash that I fancy doing as a Royal Canadian Navy bird. Will I never learn? Clearly not.

Stupid of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Trying to be helpful and follow along this masterclass of silk pursing from a box of sows ears I did think that you could abandon the idea of a RAF bird and go for a Navy one explaining the thickness of the walls as armour against 5 inch navy shells 

I have the Revell version which lurks in the back of the stash daring me to be so stupid as to take it on. Stupid in my case - not having your skills set to fight it with. But everyday a school day so have desk and chair, sitting upright with chalk and slate and taking notes feverishly

• Like 3

Hmmm.... I have 3 of these in the stash. Plans. 22 Sqn ASR,  Ark Royal plane guard, and HMS Protector, when Mel* finally gets his decals sorted.

Almost started the 22 sqn bird this year, but maybe later.

This will be interesting.

*Not going to happen as Mel's death has just been announced.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I recently finished reading a book called Borneo Boys*.

*Highly recommended. IF you can find a copy.

you can get the book on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Borneo-Boys-Helicopter-Indonesia-Confrontation-ebook/dp/B00HESTD36/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Borneo+Boys&qid=1620045094&s=books&sr=1-1

• Like 2

A 1/48 Whirlwind! I didn’t know such a thing existed. If only it was a HAR10 I’d try to find one immediately. As it is I’ll enjoy watching this build and hope that one day Airfix or Hasegawa decide that there is a glaring lack of 1970s/80s RAF helicopters in their catalogue.

Great start on the kit.

• Like 3

And I thought you were going for something modern. Pfft. Sucker for punishment this one. 😮.

Seems like you’re having fun Mind soo I’ll shut me chops. 🤗
I have an old 1/72 Airfix one of these. She is also covered from head to toe in bibbles. Always the same with bibbles. Either ridding you have em or adding if you don’t.  Great start dear boy. I’ll pull up a stool of course. 😇

Johnny

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shortCummins said:

you can get the book on Amazon...

Good spot! Well worth it. 

I forgot to mention, when their Borneo tours were over, some of the pilots & groundcrew went over to Kai Tak. 

I think at least one senior type went to 28 Sqn.

The book is about ten years old. Back then, at least two of those junior pilots were somewhat older & running the RAF Helicopter sims!

And, BTW, our very own @bootneck was there being ferried around to do jungle border patrols with 40 Commando. Respect!

• Like 2

"Revell 1955" it is. Armed with a tube of Revell's "Type 'S'" cement, I built the float version in one afternoon. I had received it for my 9th birthday in September 1955. It's still one of my favorite kits from that era, and can built into a fine model.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 5

Hi hendie,

glad I've found your WIP as I have the same kit in my stash (the Arctic HO4S-1 boxing), moulded in lovely, garish red :wacko:

Actually, I really like the surface detail on the kit. While the rivets could be finer, one can see that the designers put a lot of work into it to create realistic details like overlapping joints. In fact, I think the surface details are more realistic than many more recent helicopter kits. The only challenge will be to preserve them when filling is required.

My plan is to build a Yugoslav machine (HAR.5 variant) so I will follow your improvements with vital interest.

Will you recreate the angled tail boom? I have thought long about that but decided to "cheat" and call it good as this would have meant to destroy all those lovely surface details. Drives the AMS part of me crazy but this time I will ignore to the voices in my head :D

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 3

I give this another 36 hours tops before the brass tubing makes a showing.

19 hours ago, Martian said:

. I have another in the stash that I fancy doing as a Royal Canadian Navy bird. Will I never learn? Clearly not.

If the Martian's going to cross-dress to build his one, you could frankly make a bit more of yourself here Alan.

Reap the whirlwind etc., etc....

• Haha 7