Reid and Sigrist Snargasher

Reid and Sigrist (of instrument and camera fame) produced this RS-1 trainer prototype in the late 1930s. It was not taken up for production, but was flown for several years before being scrapped.  This is a pretty obscure aeroplane, and I think there are fewer than two dozen photographs of it on the web.  It was known as "Snargasher" in the works, and the name stuck! Its successor, the RS-3, was again not taken up for production, but after conversion to the RS-4 accommodating a prone cameraman, it continued flying through the 1970s and reportedly is still in storage today in a hangar in Leicestershire. 

Anyhow, for the "Anything but Injection" GB I found some Aeromodeller plans from April 1942 and established that there isn't a kit of it out there. No injection. No vac. No resin. Nowt. So this is a scratch build from; balsa sheet; plastic sheet, rod and tube; metal tube and foil; and car filler and Milliput. Glue was mainly superglue, with some Contacta and PVA, and the paints were Humbrol and Revell acrylics with Windsor and Newton acrylic matt varnish. I shouldn't think we have seen one in Britmodeller before, so I've posted it here as well as in the GB gallery. Build thread is here if you want more detail, and (finally...) pictures:

856-A0939-BDD2-40-F7-92-AE-B1997-B859-D7

7-F5-FBAA7-2-EBC-4887-AD0-E-D150-DE6-E4-

C33-B3-B69-7-E61-4-AEE-BAF3-42-A3-D85-A3
F65-F934-D-475-F-44-CA-9-E5-B-945162-C71

78-B06-C62-4-FDD-4199-9899-91-FDA924-E6-

2373-C130-CC78-4-CC3-B036-F15449916537.j

D0455074-965-B-41-EF-807-D-C2-ABB5-E25-D

11-FAF4-D1-BDD3-4-D19-8-CF9-FE1-DC907-F2

Next to a Miles Magister for scale:

ADFB1096-CB08-4-D57-84-EA-AC2-FF005-C668

And together with my ever-growing 1940s trainers fleet:

AD23595-B-1-A3-D-430-F-B0-E7-6-E3-C7-DD5

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 53

Thanks all!

4 hours ago, bryanm said:

There's a small section on the Snargasher in 'Q&A' in the current (May 2021) Aeroplane mag.

It's strange how things pop up together like that. Next thing you know, Airfix will be making a kit of it :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

Fabulous bit of scratch-building there Adrian. Great to see the techniques of the late, great balsa-basher Alan W Hall in action again. Did you think to make two so you could do the rather pretty civil scheme as well? heh heh!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Alan W Hall in action again. Did you think to make two so you could do the rather pretty civil scheme as well?

I used to read the 1960s Airfix Magazine conversion articles in spellbound awe. I did feel a bit guilty for not using any talc though...

The civil scheme is indeed very pretty, but I love brown/green/yellow almost as much as TSS!

Regards,

Adrian

Heck of a finished product you have there in the Snargasher, Adrian. If I hadn't watched you scratch build from bits of welll...., everything, I would have thought this was an injection kit in its finished form.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I did feel a bit guilty for not using any talc though..

I should think so. :D I do think Mr Hall would have approved of your efforts though Adrian, this really is an amazing job. 👍

Steve.

• Thanks 1