Fridge compressor

Emperor Zurg

Braided hoses for the connections, make sure you secure them using jubilee clips.

You get the pressure switch from a hardware store (mine has the thresholds at 2 and 6 bar), the  wiring diagram should be on the packaging. 

You'll need a moisture trap with a regulator, you should find it at the hardware store.

The joints, PTFE tape and other small bits from the hardware store.

In the most basic setup you'll also need a one way valve between the tank and the compressor to allow the compressor to get going against the pressure in the system. 

You'll need to top up the oil occasionally and get used to having oil in the system (most of it will gather in the tank, but some will move even further).

!!!!! Make sure (and I can not stress this enough) that the tank is rated for at least twice the pressure you'll be putting into it. Some people take this lightly, but you don't want a steel tank exploding and throwing shrapnel everywhere.

1 hour ago, Emperor Zurg said:

Hi All

Did any try to DIY compressor using fridge compressor and tank? 

Can you share some ideas how to connect, or get the bits? 

Regards

Emperor Zurg

without being funny,  making your own compressor from fridge bits is I think an idea of a different time.  Unless you are really skilled, or really poor,  I doubt it's worth the bother if you tot up the time you spent vs cost saved,   especially as hobby compressors are now relatively cheap compared to when the idea of the DIY compressor was first suggested. (when they were expensive in comparison then, from looking through old modelling magazines) 

If you can deal with the noise, you can get light building compressors pretty cheap,  and they have 30 litre air tanks, which  should last a while of spraying as well one filled up, but they are really loud when running.

here's one for £80 , with 24 litre  tank

https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-th-ac20024of-24l-oil-free-compressor/p71078?store=RN&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjwm7mEBhBsEiwA_of-TEacYijYrG-82u4BzIaeo7YIY-ffXmM2fv936GxuHEDaLypcpPH05xoCUWQQAvD_BwE

But sure you could pick up  a 2nd had one cheaper

Anyway, if DIY is what you want...

If you want a old fridge, try something like freecycle/freegle,  you could ask for an old tatty fridge as you just need the compressor.   (I see fridges on there all the time) 

Sticking this into google

"refrigerator compressor for airbrush"

gets a load of hits.  

I'll @Black Knight as he's a practical chap, and maybe able to help or make suggestions or think or other folks here who could advise.  

HTH

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

without being funny,  making your own compressor from fridge bits is I think an idea of a different time.  Unless you are really skilled, or really poor,  I doubt it's worth the bother if you tot up the time you spent vs cost saved,   especially as hobby compressors are now relatively cheap compared to when the idea of the DIY compressor was first suggested. (when they were expensive in comparison then, from looking through old modelling magazines) 

If you can deal with the noise, you can get light building compressors pretty cheap,  and they have 30 litre air tanks, which  should last a while of spraying as well one filled up, but they are really loud when running.

here's one for £80 , with 24 litre  tank

https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-th-ac20024of-24l-oil-free-compressor/p71078?store=RN&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjwm7mEBhBsEiwA_of-TEacYijYrG-82u4BzIaeo7YIY-ffXmM2fv936GxuHEDaLypcpPH05xoCUWQQAvD_BwE

But sure you could pick up  a 2nd had one cheaper

Anyway, if DIY is what you want...

If you want a old fridge, try something like freecycle/freegle,  you could ask for an old tatty fridge as you just need the compressor.   (I see fridges on there all the time) 

Sticking this into google

"refrigerator compressor for airbrush"

gets a load of hits.  

I'll @Black Knight as he's a practical chap, and maybe able to help or make suggestions or think or other folks here who could advise.  

HTH

It's not about money. It's about noise and size of the tank. As mentioned before i have As186 with small tank. It's ok not too loud but it is getting hot when used for a longer period of time and tank is relatively small. I could do with something quiet with bigger tank. 

Maybe you can reccomend something bigger and quiet? 

I use my loft as a mancave so in the late evening or night I don't want to make too much noise. 

Edited by Emperor Zurg

Sil Air is a fancy DIY fridge compressor. Yes, it's well put together and everything, but it's the same thing.

My DIY fridge compressor has been getting the job done for about 10 years I think. All I changed were the hoses, the rubber hardens over time (probably because of the oil degrading it). 

I was lucky enough to get a stainless steel tank that's rated for way more than I put in it, but a steel tank should suffice provided it's a good one. I'm not sure, but I  think you might be able to adapt one of those Sparmax "extra" tanks for what you need. I think those already had the pressure switch and the moisture trap, so it's just a case of hooking up the fridge compressor to it.

If you're not big on spending half a day tinkering with it go with Sil Air or something similar, but given the option I would just make my own out of bits. Not just because in the end the price is way lower, but because of the satisfaction.

Also: if you don't already have the compressor, don't get something that's less than 100W, it will struggle.

• Like 1