Junkers Ju 52, Sion 1985

Michou

14 hours ago, f111guru said:

Thanks Mike. Good looking aircraft. Noticed the BMW emblem on the engine cowls.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

The three Swiss Ju 52s were delivered in October 1939 and were powered by BMW 132A engines.  In later years there were problems in finding tyres for these aircraft and the tail wheels were replaced by Vampire or Venom nose wheels and I believe the main wheels came from DC-3s.

Mike

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Milan Mynar said:

An interesting plane, I saw it with my own eyes in 2010. It was really an experience.

This aircraft, F-AZJU, is frequently described as being a CASA 352L.  However, when I saw it at Ecuvillens some years ago, a member of the crew told me that they had found the manufacturers' data plate during renovation which showed that it had been built in Germany.  When Spain obtained the licence to build the Ju 52 they received this aircraft as a reference and so it is a genuine Junkers Ju 52.

Mike

• Like 1

Mike, another beautiful aircraft. Great information on both. I may have to get a few of these models in 1/72nd scale. I have a Venom and a Vampire in that scale, so as to reproduce the Swiss A-703 HB-HOP for a future build. I have 1 build in 1/48th scale when first produced by Monogram and 2 others from Revell. I put the JU-52 in the same ugly but beautiful class as the A-10, A-7 and the F-111. Worked on the F-11 for 16 of my 22 years with the USAF. Thanks again for the beautiful photos.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker