Tamiya 1/48th P-47N "Some Punkins" 73rd FS, 318th FG

Got this finished last month. I used the Vector wheel bays, P-47 upgrade set and M/N prop. Wheels are Ultracast ones and the 75 gallon drop tank is from Edaurd's Brassin range. K-14 gunsight from Aires. Painted with Alclad II for the NMF and Humbrol enamels for the rest. Decals are from Zotz, with the Insignias and stencils from the kit  and a few Eduard stencils. I changed the seat near the end of the build to an Ultracast square type as I had incorrectly used the earlier type from the kit. (Click on the photos for a larger image).

51143225210_8d1f2b8ab5_o.jpg

51142333583_b47442ba88_o.jpg

51142334293_926db01d16_o.jpg

51142899914_c3382857f7_o.jpg

51142125726_149c566f94_o.jpg

51141447382_dd420d4882_o.jpg

51142125591_5701e83844_o.jpg

51142125761_a3269e1dbc_o.jpg

51143226010_31be7abe27_o.jpg

51152911883_125ac76fde_o.jpg

51153468484_f99f2aab99_o.jpg

51152912083_c75844befa_o.jpg

51151995347_3da08b3d24_o.jpg

51151995462_3f67263417_o.jpg

51141477287_88e92784f4_o.jpg

51143257655_28bb8b62d9_o.jpg

51143257340_c29a83ccf4_o.jpg

51141476977_7a9ca7e2cd_o.jpg

• Like 57
  • Thanks 3

Yours has to be one of the finest builds I've seen here. The metal finish is superb, the details are outstanding, paint work and decals are awesome. You have a show piece there, my friend.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Darrell,

I've only just found this RFI, but could I add to what's already been said and also say what a fabulous build this is? Absolutely superb work!

Is there a WiP for it? I'm wanting to build an 'N', so I'm very interested in how you modified, presumably, a Tamiya 'M'. I've got an 'M', but want to build it as such, so I was wondering if it could be done with a bubble top 'D', the late fin strake, and a Vector cockpit and engine/prop. I realise that an 18" section was inserted into the wing root area, effectively widening the undercarriage track by 3ft. Did "everything else" just shift outward by 18" as well? 

Great stuff!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks Mark.

Sorry no WIP for it.You could use the D boxing, but you would need the smooth cockpit floor and like you say the late dorsal fin which both come in the M boxing, which makes it a little easier. Then with the Vector engine, prop and wheel wells, it would just leave you to add the wing extensions and modify the wing tips. Yes everything is basically shifted outboard on the wing and the N didn't have an dive brakes.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Thanks Mark.

Sorry no WIP for it.You could use the D boxing, but you would need the smooth cockpit floor and like you say the late dorsal fin which both come in the M boxing, which makes it a little easier. Then with the Vector engine, prop and wheel wells, it would just leave you to add the wing extensions and modify the wing tips. Yes everything is basically shifted outboard on the wing and the N didn't have an dive brakes.

Many thanks for your swift reply, Darrell, it's really appreciated! The Vector P-47N cockpit set has the smooth floor, and although it's intended as an upgrade for the Academy and Revell/ProModeler kits I guess it can be made to fit the Tamiya kit. I've got one of those on order, along with the engine/prop and wheel well sets, as I was thinking of using an Academy 'N' kit.

I'd be grateful for your opinion, here: leaving aside the Academy kit's weak cockpit and poor engine/prop and wheel wells, does modifying the Tamiya 'M' give a more accurate 'N' than the Academy kit? 

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Many thanks for your swift reply, Darrell, it's really appreciated! The Vector P-47N cockpit set has the smooth floor, and although it's intended as an upgrade for the Academy and Revell/ProModeler kits I guess it can be made to fit the Tamiya kit. I've got one of those on order, along with the engine/prop and wheel well sets, as I was thinking of using an Academy 'N' kit.

I'd be grateful for your opinion, here: leaving aside the Academy kit's weak cockpit and poor engine/prop and wheel wells, does modifying the Tamiya 'M' give a more accurate 'N' than the Academy kit? 

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

I would say yes. But the amount of work is probably similar. I haven't built the Academy kit yet, but I have one in the stash. The wing tips on the Academy are noticeable too curved on the trailing edge so they need some material adding there. Also the windscreen shape isn't very good. There's a few other areas that will probably need a little work as well, but I still plan to build the Academy kit, if I get it done before Eduard announce one!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I would say yes. But the amount of work is probably similar. I haven't built the Academy kit yet, but I have one in the stash. The wing tips on the Academy are noticeable too curved on the trailing edge so they need some material adding there. Also the windscreen shape isn't very good. There's a few other areas that will probably need a little work as well, but I still plan to build the Academy kit, if I get it done before Eduard announce one!

That's brilliant, thanks! I had heard the Academy kit has issues with the windscreen, but I wasn't aware of the wing tip shape problems. I'm enjoying the Tamiya Razorbacks I'm building, and I like their parts breakdown and engineering, so I might well try and emulate your fantastic build here!

Many thanks once again!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Glad this resurfaced as I get a chance to view this beautiful build of your Thunderbolt.  Just a fantastic conversion and all the extra work you scratched into it really enhances the build.  Thanks for sharing it again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Glad this resurfaced as I get a chance to view this beautiful build of your Thunderbolt.  Just a fantastic conversion and all the extra work you scratched into it really enhances the build.  Thanks for sharing it again.

9 minutes ago, rom1 said:

Great Work! and thanks for the explanations!

Fantastic work, isnt it? I'll definitely be going to give this a try out!