Hello from London

Tonkatime

Hello my fellow BM people. My name is Jason and I'm another returnee to the hobby after [redacted] years... Been lurking in this parish for sometime, equally being inspired by, and a little intimidated by, the work and knowledge on display here.

Main interests are military fighters from the 1980s onward but it has been known for the odd Airbus to put an appearance on the workbench and that Hawker Typhoon which keeps calling me from the stash...

Anyway, I hope to go from 'ambitious but rubbish' to 'ambitious but vaguely acceptable' and excuse me now for any daft questions.

• Like 4

Welcome, Jason/Tonkatime! I'm a returnee newbie too, but I am already very much valuing this forum. I've learned a lot, and I'm having fun, AND gaining some more confidence. Of course, there are models shown here which make me gasp in awe, absolutely. I have to remember... it is NOT a competition (EXCEPT for competitions, obviously)!

I think we beginners simply have to remember to practice, experiment, research and have much patience. Heck, I have to remind MYSELF of that constantly.

cheers,

Charles

• Like 1

Hello Jason … :post1: from the second coty of America Chicago, Im mostly aircraft myself. I focus from the 1930’s trough to modern types mostly. Please as @Charles H says don't be intimidated as it isnt a contest. Not even in the group build areas, those are more like a circus and comedy club mashed together. 99.999% members of the forum are extremely friendly and will bend over backwards to help you. That last .001% wont say much of anything, as they will usually get a swift response from the rest of us. Those builds you think are intimidating, I bet if you asked some of the members opinions. That member could point and say he/she is disappointed in something about it.  

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Welcome, Jason.

There is a huge amount of knowledge and skill within this site, and I have found this knowledge is readily and happily shared. And has been said, I doubt you’ll find anyone who doesn’t think they could have done better.

Enjoy your stay, I look forward to your future builds.

Jon

As others, particularly CF4U, with the additional note that I'll bet most of those of us who're honest have a "bogie model" that they've never been able to build well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paws4thot said:

As others, particularly CF4U, with the additional note that I'll bet most of those of us who're honest have a "bogie model" that they've never been able to build well.

Outside of the fact that my ten thumbs cant rig worth a 💩. My Demon plane is the AV-8 Harrier family. Ive tried to build three of the blanks, (all Hasegawa) and still cant them to fit worth a hoot. 

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Outside of the fact that my ten thumbs cant rig worth a 💩. My Demon plane is the AV-8 Harrier family. Ive tried to build three of the blanks, (all Hasegawa) and still cant them to fit worth a hoot. 

My "least favourite" part of model making is rigging multi-wing types too.

Harriers - Try a new Airfix kit in 1/72, or a Kinetic in 1/48 then.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 6:22 AM, Paws4thot said:

I'll bet most of those of us who're honest have a "bogie model" that they've never been able to build well.

I've got some of those... it's called " the stash" for now.

And welcome to BM from another newbie, Tonkatime!

Welcome aboard. Your will be inspired and will learn a lot from the good folks here. The only thing to worry about is the stash monster. It starts small and before you know it it's taking over your house. Anyway good luck with your hobby.

Thanks for the replies and welcome. I think the stash monster is safely with me - didn't realise I'd bought so much. As for the bogie model, I may have to re-visit my nemesis from years ago in the form of the F-104 and its ridiculously weak landing gear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tonkatime said:

the F-104 and its ridiculously weak landing gear.

Well, the Hasegawa 1/72 kit moulds the main legs, main actuator rams and main wheel actuators in one piece, so if you build it and support upside down overnight it dries pretty solid. The 104G tool is presently available from Revell Europe so will be in your LMS.

Edited by Paws4thot

Welcome m8! I collected 1/300 figures/tank eons ago for tabletop war games. Kinda hard to paint but I eventually built up an entire reconnaissance battalion. May have to dig up some pics, as the neatest part from a modelling perspective proved to be building a town to invade 🧨