FA2 Canopy

treker_ed

Quick question for the Harrier/Shar experts out there.

After looking at literally dozens of pictures and references, as far as I can tell, after upgrading from FRS1 to FA2 there was no change to the canopy on the Sea Harrier. Could anyone confirm or deny this assumption?

Looking at getting another Kinetic FA2, but as I'm a bit kack handed with masking canopies up, I was looking at getting the Eduard masking set, but this has been discontinued, however, the FRS1 set is still available, and looking at the design of the canopies in the kits that I have, they look exactly the same. So it would be just as easy to use the FRS1 set on the FA2 kit😄

Quick tip once you've masked the canopy give it a thinned coat of clear to seal the mask then pop the inside colour on the outside (it will show through )then the outer colour.

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

As far as I can tell, after upgrading from FRS1 to FA2 there was no change to the canopy on the Sea Harrier. Could anyone confirm or deny this assumption?

Your assumption is, indeed, correct.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Your assumption is, indeed, correct.

Many thanks for that, I thought as much.

I knew that the radar was upgraded, and a fuselage plug to the rear of the cockpit (along with avionics etc) but nothing that I read stated that the canopy was ever changed. So I'll go with the mandate that kinetic has used the same canopy parts between the FA2 & the FRS1 kits (FA2 came out first, and then the FRS1).

Not an expert but the major external changes (from a modeling standpoint) between FRS.1 and FA.2 were limited to:

- New radome

- Fuselage "plug" just aft of the wing trailing edge

- Fill-in/chamfer of the wing leading edge 'dogteeth'

- Pitot added to vertical fin leading edge (replacing the one deleted with the radome change)

Same exact canopy, to the best of my knowledge.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

Not an expert but the major external changes (from a modeling standpoint) between FRS.1 and FA.2 were limited to:

- New radome

- Fuselage "plug" just aft of the wing trailing edge

- Fill-in/chamfer of the wing leading edge 'dogteeth'

- Pitot added to vertical fin leading edge (replacing the one deleted with the radome change)

Same exact canopy, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not doing any mods or scratchbuilding to an existing kit. I already have the Kinetic FA2 & FRS1 kits in my stash, I am buying another FA2, but because the Eduard masking kit is no longer available, I needed to confirm the details about the canopy as the FRS1 canopy mask is still available and as such, it should fit the FA2 canopy.

Thank you for your information, I did already know most of that from the references I already have - it was literally just the canopy information I needed to check.

• Mike locked this topic