New Airfix simple Spitfire Mk.Vc

Graham Boak

Interesting to see this new offering on the Airfix website.  It looks pretty good in outline, and has managed to get a much more convincing spinner, with a Rotol prop.  Thankfully the open canopy and cockpit tub have disappeared, although taking much interior detail including rear bulkhead with them.  It still has the wide cannon blisters, and comes with Fighter Command markings.

I do feel that it needs to sell at a lower price to endear itself to the market, not just sell at the same price with some acrylics thrown in.  But we shall see.  To me, these two recent Mk.Vc offerings have straddled the "ideal".

19 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I'm having trouble finding this Graham. Could you post a link, or the new kit number?

Thanks,

There's cad images in the latest workshop article

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/150-editions-of-airfix-exclusives?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=The+big+150!&utm_campaign=Airfix+-+Workbench+-+Week+5+2021%2F2022

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

There's cad images in the latest workshop

Maybe it's just me but I don't find CAD images very helpful for anything other than moulding design.

Looks decent enough on the CAD, the proof will be getting it. The interior doesn't look too bad, ideal for a beginner. Also ideal if you want several as clothes horses for decals, with a normal one as the standout.

For my money, the normal Airfix Vc looks and builds as one of the best Spitfire kits I've had, and I think I've had virtually all of the 72nd kits go through my hands at some point. I'd say it's almost Eduard quality.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Looks decent enough on the CAD, the proof will be getting it. The interior doesn't look too bad, ideal for a beginner. Also ideal if you want several as clothes horses for decals, with a normal one as the standout.

Hell, it looks ideal for me, and I can't claim to be a beginner, after 50 or so years at this! I think I'll need several myself.

John

I quite like the cockpit tub in the recent Vc, goes together easier than the one in the Eduard 1/72 Spitfires IMO. I’ve built two of them so far and have several more lined up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Looks decent enough on the CAD, the proof will be getting it. The interior doesn't look too bad, ideal for a beginner.

I entirely agree re CAD: but the CAD for the mainstream Mk.Vc matched the kit as produced, so I've good hopes for this one.  The interior does look good for complete beginners but others will be put off.  I'm not one for super-detailed interiors, but I think this is too simple and will benefit from spares in the Eduard Mk.VIII.  Mind you, IMO the mainstream kit's interiors would also benefit from being replaced by Eduard parts, so I hope I've got enough. (The tub narrows the already narrow Spitfire cockpit too much.)   I don't see myself buying more Eduard kits just to get interiors for Airfix's offerings.  There may however be an aftermarket opening for Spitfire seats.

The exhausts look as though they may protrude too far, as with the earlier one, but this is something that can't really be judged other than in the plastic.

Overall this looks better for non-beginners than I feared it might, and it won't take much to improve it.

• Like 1

I've been intrigued by these simple kits since they announced them. If the quality is good I'd definitely acquire a few. They seem ideal as Wooksta says 'clothes horses for decals' if you want to build and finish a few variations in the time we have for modelling. It's probably the only way some of us could keep up with Tony O'Toole.😊

There is one problem. According to the Airfix website this starter kit cannot be shipped to any country in the world except the UK. I'm guessing because paint and glue  is included. So no mail order for those of us outside the UK. So we'll have to wait for it to arrive locally. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 3

TBH, I although that the cockpit of the normal Vc looked clunky and thick on the CAD and was really pleased with the almost Eduard finnesse of the kit.

In fact I'll stick my neck out and say it's the best 72nd Spitfire Airfix have yet done. And given that the same designer has done the forthcoming Mosquito, I'm very confident it'll be superb.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

I can't consider myself a beginner but as a modeller with an affection for the Hobbyboss easy-kits, this one looks pretty interesting ! Clearly detail is not up to the level of its "proper kit" brother, but if the price is right it looks like an ideal way to show a good number of colour schemes quickly, an aspect that some modellers like.

For the cockpit, I'd probably go hunting for the early Eduard Zoom sets, the ones that can sometime still be found for £3 or so. Will have to check if any of them fits of course.

I realize that even £3 may be some money compared to the cost of the kit, but in the end I'd probably spend the same on the proper kit anyway...

Edited by Giorgio N

I like this novel approach and do believe it’s a better way to introduce new modellers to the hobby rather rather just reboxing existing kits with a few tubs of paint, brush, glue and a simplified decal sheet.

My issue is that all these extras add cost, so it will either be priced the same or even more so than the base Spitfire Vc kit, so I can’t see myself buying any just to use up spare decals. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I like this novel approach and do believe it’s a better way to introduce new modellers to the hobby rather rather just reboxing existing kits with a few tubs of paint, brush, glue and a simplified decal sheet.

My issue is that all these extras add cost, so it will either be priced the same or even more so than the base Spitfire Vc kit, so I can’t see myself buying any just to use up spare decals. 

Cheers.. Dave 

The one advantage we may have in the UK is that Aldi or Lidl could be knocking them out at a fiver around future Christmases. For a "colours and markings" guy such as myself, it would be too good an opportunity to pass up.

And I'd like to retract my gripe about the other Vc, having got my hands on one. Soz!

• Like 3

Yeah @lasermonkey, those Xmas Supermarket specials sure would lure my wallet out, however we rarely see anything like that down here. Looking at these a little closely, I reckon that even I could participate in a Blitz build armed with one of these kits! 

Cheers.. Dave 

20 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The exhausts look as though they may protrude too far, as with the earlier one, but this is something that can't really be judged other than in the plastic.

It's a complaint I see come up now and then, but really - even the fishtails aren't exactly flush. 
There's a good shot of BM597 here (link because it's a commercial stock photo) that suggest they may protrude more than one might think.

Another contemporary pic:

Spitfire_Mk_V_BM202_ZD-H_Flying_Scotsman

• Like 1

22 hours ago, noelh said:

There is one problem. According to the Airfix website this starter kit cannot be shipped to any country in the world except the UK. I'm guessing because paint and glue  is included. So no mail order for those of us outside the UK. So we'll have to wait for it to arrive locally. 

That's a thoughtful point. Considering the goodness of the "normal" kit, the starter one becomes less attractive, I suppose, although I'd still like to have at least one, just for curiosity's sake. It seems unlikely that Airfix will offer a "stripper" version without the paint and glue, but if the complete package is offered by non-UK online shops in countries with less-restrictive shipping regulations, it will be available by mail order to overseas customers.

John

• Thanks 1

If, an important qualifier, this is as good as it looks, then to people who don't care about interiors this will still be tempting.  I have tried the Airfix acrylics in little tubs, and they were surprisingly (to this hardened enamel user) very reasonable.  So if the colours look good...  Remember that the mainstream kit does require a new spinner so add that the the identical price.  The simple kit appear to have a much better shape, and Rotol blades - which does limit the overseas options, which were mainly DH.  Regrettably so, in the case of the Australian ones, but that's another story.

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

If, an important qualifier, this is as good as it looks, then to people who don't care about interiors this will still be tempting.  I have tried the Airfix acrylics in little tubs, and they were surprisingly (to this hardened enamel user) very reasonable.  So if the colours look good...  Remember that the mainstream kit does require a new spinner so add that the the identical price.  The simple kit appear to have a much better shape, and Rotol blades - which does limit the overseas options, which were mainly DH.  Regrettably so, in the case of the Australian ones, but that's another story.

Rotol propellers are good for  RAF SEAC Spitfire Mk Vc

Alain

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 8:11 AM, Graham Boak said:

Remember that the mainstream kit does require a new spinner

I was wondering if an Airfix or Hasegawa P-38 spinner would work with the DH prop in the new Airfix Vc, as I'm thinking the diameter and contour of the P-38 spinner/backplate might just  be the same as the Spitfire's...that, and the fact that I have two kits from each maker that are already incomplete...hmm, up to the stash later to do some comparing- will get back to you on what I find. (I do have the HPM Vc update set on the way, so as soon as it comes, I can check the P-38 spinners against the DH spinner that is part of the  set.)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

On 5/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, John Thompson said:

Hell, it looks ideal for me, and I can't claim to be a beginner, after 50 or so years at this! I think I'll need several myself.

John

Agreed. I fancy this as well. The interior won't worry me as you can't see much through the clear plastic and I'll be putting Pilot Officer Prune in anyway. And I love the stand. 

Hopefully a 109 to follow. Lots of decals waiting for that one too...