1/48 Eduard Spitfire VIII RAAF

Hey folks! Here's my latest off the bench, my 5th Eduard Spitfire. This time an Aussie Eight

Spitfire VIII "QY-T"
No 452 Sqn, RAAF
F/L William "Ron" Cundy
Sattler Airstrip, July 1944

BarracudaCast cockpit snapshot set

BarracudaCast wheels

Ultracast exhaust

Ultracast spinner

Master brass barrels

Brassin 30gal slipper tank

Scratch details

Custom paint masks

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was going to use a Yahu instrument panel, but it didn't arrive in time. So I stripped the kit panel, repainted it, and rebuilt it with acetate instruments from BarracudaCast

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 50
  • Thanks 3

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Yep-she's a beaut! How did you manage the white band on the spinner so cleanly, if I may ask?

Mike

I just used a thin strip of tape cut from the leftovers on the Eduard canopy masks sheet. I always keep the scraps, as it's nice and thin and great for curves and delicate masking

• Thanks 1

I'm not really into Spitfires but clicked on this one and it is an absolute belter. Stunning work on the inside and on the exterior, almost makes me want to build an Eduard Spitfire.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

3 hours ago, Type 40 said:

Absolutely fantastic!  Thanks for sharing!

May I ask:  what brand of paints did you use?  The Foliage Green looks particularly good...

My paint of choice these days is AK Real Colors. Sprays as easily as Tamiya acrylics and dries with a nice satin sheen like Gunze MrColor without the smell.

I wasn't able to find a dedicated Foliage Green. When I was building my P-47D, AK's Dull Dark Green for the cockpit struck me as a really good candidate for Foliage so that's what I had planned to use. When I checked the Eduard instructions they suggested Gunze's DDG, so that reaffirmed my decision. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Brewer said:

Thanks everyone!

My paint of choice these days is AK Real Colors. Sprays as easily as Tamiya acrylics and dries with a nice satin sheen like Gunze MrColor without the smell.

I wasn't able to find a dedicated Foliage Green. When I was building my P-47D, AK's Dull Dark Green for the cockpit struck me as a really good candidate for Foliage so that's what I had planned to use. When I checked the Eduard instructions they suggested Gunze's DDG, so that reaffirmed my decision. 

Thanks!  I think you've just convinced me; I've got a number of unbuilt RAAF aircraft in the pipeline, and I'm going to need a good supply of Foliage Green... AK looks the part.  👍

Once again - superb Spitfire!

Super smooth Spitfire! And your DIY dashboard looks superb, as does the rest of the office.

I can't see any stick restraint bar in there, so would've expected the elevators to droop... 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

That's an absolutely beautiful build. Superb work all round - and I love the instrument panel!

• 3 weeks later...