Fallschirmjagers on Crete, 1941

Focusing on the figures in this diorama which shows my interpretation of the invasion of Crete in 1941. A glider load of 10 fallschirmjager disembarking from a glider which has just landed at Tavronitis Bridge. 10 modified and unmodified Dragon figures from various sets with Hornet heads. My first real attempt at developing my ability to paint faces and better uniforms. Still a long way to go. 10 pairs of eyes did my head in.

e599352f2b545a709558fc9a5902c0c0.jpg

74d83d729150abca6b18aa7e74f09668.jpg

7694f508bb4a7e55eccf765aee8e4a25.jpg

1711fb00bbc96870a3f4b8885b3c9e89.jpg

a3773af9a513af7a5a507097b387bf5b.jpg

4895139c9032bd0d42b7b9ee185807b8.jpg

Sanfrandragon gave me an itch I couldn’t stop scratching regarding the glider pilot. It was bugging me so  I have worked out how to slightly rearrange the figures to cater to the pilot idea and integrate him in the focus area with the other figures given he would have had to exit the cockpit and come down the slope.  He is rear right adjacent to the one at the central door exit. Yes, yes, Being a bit a...ly retentive but wanted to reduce my reliance on the artistic license.

Also, for those interested, the guys on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum gave me this info about the glider pilot...

”The glider pilots involved in airborne assaults, such as the invasion of Crete were drawn from transport units, such as LLG1. That is to say, the Ju52's and DFS230 gliders, and their respective crews, belonged to LLG1 or some other transport unit. When not inserting Fallschirmjäger, these units were used to transport supplies etc.

The glider pilots included officers, NCOs and other ranks.

Some of the earliest glider pilots were Fallschirmjäger who then trained as glider pilots, including Walter Kiess.

On the ground, there was an expectation that the glider pilots would take on a combat role. On Crete, many glider pilots were involved in guarding prisoners of war.”

Also, someone confirmed that on Crete, the glider pilots wore fallschirmjager uniform. Change is below...

spacer.png

Edited by nimrod484
Added photo of layout change
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Very impressive indeed. I especially like the figure looking upwards. I've not seen that on a diorama before.

Yet, if you just landed, you need to check that no one else is going to land on you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Very impressive indeed. I especially like the figure looking upwards. I've not seen that on a diorama before.

Yet, if you just landed, you need to check that no one else is going to land on you!

Thanks Pete. Actually, the reason I posed him that way is that the landing at the bridge was at the base of Hill 107 which was a key position at Maleme and I wanted to link to that idea. That is, he is looking up at the hill. Wouldn’t expect anybody to pick up on that, of course.

Edited by nimrod484
  • Like 1

I commented on this in the dioramas section, but specifically for here, the figures are excellent too.  I struggle with faces and particularly eyes, but you’ve done a great job here.  The figures are well posed as well, really capturing movement that fits with the scene.

incidentally who are the pilots and did the Germans have an equivalent of the Glider Pilot Regiment?

On 10/05/2021 at 01:28, sanfrandragon said:

I commented on this in the dioramas section, but specifically for here, the figures are excellent too.  I struggle with faces and particularly eyes, but you’ve done a great job here.  The figures are well posed as well, really capturing movement that fits with the scene.

incidentally who are the pilots and did the Germans have an equivalent of the Glider Pilot Regiment?

Thanks for your kind comments. I have a great book which started using called ‘The paint guide of figures for ww2’.  I have only painted 12 figures since recently starting the hobby again after 30 years, and that book has been a truely valuable source and improved my ability and paint colour choices along with using very decent brushes. Still a long way to go in improving.as I redid the heads of some figures because of paint laying roughly due to incorrect consistency. 
https://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/01/review-paint-guide-for-figures-of-world.html

Nice perceptive question re the pilot. I couldn’t find any clear info on him. I believe they were fallschirmjager who were trained.. I had originally thought to position the figure which is exiting last from the centre door as leaping from the cockpit but followed some diorama principles I had read about centring the focus of attention in one area and felt it would be unbalanced with just one figure at the far end ie nose of the glider. They would have also exited from the rear left door on landing, but again I didn’t want to split the focus. It is a bit of artistic license as with the cutaway.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 01:28, sanfrandragon said:

Thanks for the question again. Info above.

• 2 months later...