Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 - 1:24 Scale

Okay, what's not to like about these kits? Old maybe, but their size allows for a reasonably good level of detail and I think they look just great when complete. I enjoyed the Spit I did some years back and this badger has been gathering dust for far too long so I've decided to give it a bash. Here goes nothing.

spacer.png

Edited by Bodmin
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Hello Bodmin,

I’ve built one of these kits, and survived. I can send you info if you like. Please PM if you wish.

TW

Cheers Tony, I'll see how I get on.

6 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Ooh, a big Hurricane. Not my scale but love the subject - I'll even pay for a front row seat!

Patron and PayPal both accepted. Gee even coppers through my letterbox, whatever takes your fancy.  🤣🤣🤣🤣 can't guarantee you'll get your monies worth.

• Haha 1

Okay, Engine is always first. No real problems apart from getting the spinner bit to fit without falling out. Ended up using some scrap plastic to hold it in place so it can move freely. Minor problem, but I want the prop to turn when pushed.spacer.png

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of  over the last few weeks. Not as much as would have liked, but enough that bits are starting to come together.

spacer.png

So many mistakes when putting these gun bays together. Biggest one being assembling the bays before inserting the guns and magazines.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

This is looking great so far, cockpit details look lovely as does thecrest.

Cracking work. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. Trying to make the best I can of it. Haven't done a model in ages, but hey ho, it will be what it will be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bodmin said:

Bit of  over the last few weeks. Not as much as would have liked, but enough that bits are starting to come together.

spacer.png

So many mistakes when putting these gun bays together. Biggest one being assembling the bays before inserting the guns and magazines.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I know this is part painted, not sure what Airfix have to say in this boxing(the 70's one says grey green), but ALL the internals apart from the rear bulkhead and upper cockpit side walls, are aluminium paint. 

Also, when the artwork was drawn up less photos of LK-A were available, this pic

Hurricane_Ian_Gleed_87_sqd_nose_flash.jp

Note, the red nose flash behind spinner, and the roundels are place further outboard than is usually shown, note how it nearly reaches the leading edge.

see also

http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2020/08/28/ian-richard-gleed-hurricane-figaro/

HTH

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I know this is part painted, not sure what Airfix have to say in this boxing(the 70's one says grey green), but ALL the internals apart from the rear bulkhead and upper cockpit side walls, are aluminium paint. 

Also, when the artwork was drawn up less photos of LK-A were available, this pic

Hurricane_Ian_Gleed_87_sqd_nose_flash.jp

Note, the red nose flash behind spinner, and the roundels are place further outboard than is usually shown, note how it nearly reaches the leading edge.

see also

http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2020/08/28/ian-richard-gleed-hurricane-figaro/

HTH

I think you are exactly right and up until about 9.30 last night that was the way I was going to go. However in the interest of drawing a little contrast from the engine mounting frame and firewall I opted last minute for the cockpit green. I may change my mind again.  Interesting link though,; I enjoyed the read - cheers!

Edited by Bodmin
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bodmin said:

However in the interest of drawing a little contrast from the engine mounting frame and firewall I opted last minute for the cockpit green. I may change my mind again. 

Your model, your choice.  Bear in mind that Merlins leaked a lot of oil, so there is plenty of opportunity for some oily contrasts on the frames. 

for getting a feel of a working airframe,. there is a superb walkround of the Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane here, just not for internal colours. 

One thing you may want to consider getting is some seat straps, as they are not an easy thing to make in 1/24th.

I have very fond memories of the kit from my youth, when I was 10 its the best thing ever....  

cheers

T

• Like 1

Oh I'll be following this with great interest - had this kit on top of the wardrobe for quite a while now, mainly put off from starting it until now by the need to build a few smaller kits to blow the cobwebs off a long-lapsed hobby.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Okay, a year on and my Hurricane is back on the bench. So long away from it I spent several hours studying where I'd got too last time around. Then spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get sub-assemblies put together before I lose any parts, as many are already off the sprue. I had a few scares along the way, but now I confident I've located all the parts.

On advice from above I have now changed the engine bay to aluminum, plus some painting elsewhere. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

Making steady progress. Cockpit virtually complete, just a few little bits to add, then I can get the two halves together. I've dry fitted and it appears to be a pretty snug fit. I quite like this kit; compared to the spitfire I did a few years ago it's far better.

Only thing I'm really struggling on is unblocking my airbrush. Keeps clogging up, even when the paint is like water. Awaiting some narrow pipe cleaning brushes.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Painstakingly slow work at the moment. Especially over the last couple of days with the heat. I maybe should have left it alone for a bit, but the plane kept staring at me, egging me on the glue the two halves together. Anyway I am where I am. I forgot to mention I used the airscale instrument panel decals which look quite nice. I used the existing parts, just sanded down the clear part and then painted black. Unfortuantely, when I came to  putting the two fuselage halves together I didn't quite center it with the other side so there is an ever-so slight tilt off centre. I should get away with it though.

Anyway, as this is supposed to be a WIP, here's where I'm at.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had an unfortunate distraction with my dog and I dropped the kit and the nose section came apart along with various engine mounts. That's setting again now after some extra glue with the cowlings as support.. May well need touching up with paint when dry.

spacer.png

Didn't enjoy filling the holes for the stand. I wanted to try and preserve the rivet details so was using liquid putty. How that turned out I'll see after undercoat.

spacer.png

Edited by Bodmin
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Bonkin said:

Nice work... glad to see it coming along. The instrument panel looks good to me :).

:yes:

Thanks Bonkin, so long as only I notice, that will suit me fine :)

• Like 1

Pretty rapid progress there by my standards.

I built one of these for a friend many, many years ago when my build time was a little faster than today. It would probably take me about 3 years now!

Looking forward to more.

John. 🇺🇦

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Pretty rapid progress there by my standards.

I built one of these for a friend many, many years ago when my build time was a little faster than today. It would probably take me about 3 years now!

Looking forward to more.

John. 🇺🇦

Well I'm already a year in John, started this May last year, so there's time yet :) 

16 hours ago, Bodmin said:

Well I'm already a year in John, started this May last year, so there's time yet :) 

exactly. I built the merlin about two years ago, and nothing more. (even built a stand for it to be tended by three workers of the opposite sex) We modellers have all the time in the world. 

• Like 1