Airbrushing metallic paint

FrankJ

Ive never airbrushed metallic paint before, is the metallic flakes ok spraying through H&S infinity, I have a 0.4mm nozzle set and a 0.6mm nozzle set? Ill be using Tamiya paints.

It depends on the paint. Having written that, i generally airbrush metallic paints with my 0.5mm nozzle. I only airbrush metallic paints with my 0.3mm nozzle for very small parts.

Bottom line, try it out. But try the 0.6mm first. 

I use the 0.4 set. It's more than adequate for metallics. Maybe make the mix just a bit leaner than a normal one though. I haven't sprayed Tamiya metallics in ages, but the flake in the normal acrylic range used to be a bit big compared to other manufacturers. I understand that their lacquers are far better in that department.

I use a 0.35 needle/nozzle and mainly use Tamiya acrylic paints. Provided they are thinned enough, a 0.4 should be more than adequate. I would say a ratio of at least 60/40 thinner/paint with several light coats to build up the colour should do the trick. 

For the majority of my metal colours, I tend to use either Vallejo metal color acrylic or (now discontinued) K-Color. These were imported by Model Innovations, but the Italian manufacturer has now discontinued them, so I stocked up on them from the importer last year, so I have enough to last for a while.