Hawker Hurricane down under - Arma 1/72 Mk I (first instalment from "Hawker Hurricanes around the World")

Here is instalment one from my "Hawker Hurricanes around the world" project--WIP here: 

This is the Arma Hawker Hurricane Mk I/trop kit late/post war version of the only Hurricane that served in Australia. I found the kit challenging in places (e.g., cockpit, propeller/spinner, nav lights), but in other ways it is a real beauty (I was especially impressed with the decals). I have another three Arma Mk Is in my stash so I'm hoping I can take some lessons learned from this one and apply them to those.

y4mpngUxn1JapkDq9ELJChXRN8-oUIxT1xwUg5wH

y4mwr1hGchEzF4prqYsmpyuVz9oWKUI7kPjikWSJ

y4mnA6aPYs5SbUDZi5TzhIjZ60tbiCA7PFLa5Rc_

y4mOw5oGQzDKe_MShKb5nv9cDoTZHEAyoguexF_k

y4mCioG1zrsiVZi3nfRCfqtMwPIJGulrdd3rP2Ph

y4mvMf3RNhjuzyTX58trqPBoOkqfW5_qFfhws9FO

y4m7grluxYSj_A7xB_5syPAI112OJKNLuD2BRm_q

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 40

Very nice indeed,...... I do like the single Aussie Hurricane,...... I`m torn between the silver scheme and the intermediate camouflage in RAAF colours,..... looking at yours,.. I may do both now!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed,...... I do like the single Aussie Hurricane,...... I`m torn between the silver scheme and the intermediate camouflage in RAAF colours,..... looking at yours,.. I may do both now!!

Yes both look good don't they! I saved my decals to do the other scheme if I ever want to. In this case I wanted to start completing some Hurricanes so the simpler version appealed!

y4muVwa5f2pEUve1CC5ylQ64xpN05IJHrdBA0Zmn

• Like 5

I realized when I photographed the underside that the identification light glue (Micro Kristal Klear) hadn't dried and was just showing up as an ugly white. It ended up taking days to dry which seems odd--usually it's quick. Anyway, now it's dry and the "amber" (yellow paint dabbed over red) is showing. I was glad it worked in the end!

y4mixktS_vyNxD5liNa-XzkmNU3lyfI0Abd0iicj

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, kapam said:

Wow!  That's great! 👍👍

So the RAAF example is a from-the-box build?

Sounds like the excuse I need to get one.

Yup, 100% OOBhttps://www.armahobby.com/70021-hurricane-mk-i-trop-model-kit.html

With markings for two versions of the RAAF Hurricane. Highly recommend and would love to see pics posted if you build it!

• ModelingEdmontonian changed the title to Hawker Hurricane down under - Arma 1/72 Mk I (first instalment from "Hawker Hurricanes around the World")
  • 2 months later...

With phase one of my "Hawker Hurricanes around the world" project complete--a Hurricane in markings from every continent--a couple of group photos added here seemed appropriate.

y4m068aQ77a_9XQS3bwxSQ9BUB97EyxIr39qaUyw

Besides Australia in the top left, we have: South America (Argentina; AZ Mk IV); Africa (Egypt; Arma Mk IIc); North America (USA; Airfix Mk XII); Europe (Poland; AZ Mk I); and Asia (Iran; AZ Mk IIc).

y4mNbYWti_qSfrNTf0bHXO8hFN43Css6MgmlXfKv

Phase two (Hurricanes in all the markings of all the other Allies, except those using RAF markings) is well underway here:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

For North America, you could have done an RCAF one. Even an early fabric-winged Hurricane.

46758296991_e6614cd0d3_b.jpg

Chris

Yes, but that would fall into the more-or-less typical RAF markings category that I'm steering clear of. Others have pointed out that there are some true USAAF versions I could have done as opposed to a Royal Navy plane "disguised" as USA, but it's all done now and I really enjoyed the Operation Torch build.

• Like 1