Honda CB900F

As I was new thought I'd share some of my builds form last few years.

This I recieved as scrap or as "partly built" said nicely. I decided to modify it towards cafe racer so I dismantled everything I could for modification and repainting. Engine I could not tear apart so I washed it with black and let it be. Although carbs I rebuilt and air filters I scratchbuilt. Kit itself is from 1981 made by Academy in scale of 1:8 and it really isn't highly detailed by modern standards even though Academy sold it as "super-deluxe kit". Obviously, contains "a bit" of scratch built and extensively modified parts.

y4mB1EaMxEBDhN5udx64G_snHDo9ey7_w-oM436n

y4mqDcmDzOMIKl_XxsFUfCt6An-Hkiuc8YcQ_iAa

y4mSJHgK3byCI_iSGxxHgitru0t_LD9NRPN5cVnU

y4mJpDyyJAhT3ANd23YYbqiAkDdNYwbZIQ7KJtce

• Like 18

I once owned a 1983 Honda VF750-F. Thought the back tyre was massive! Compared to modern bikes, it was, in reality a bit "thin"

Wish I still had it though ... sigh! :(

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Typo

• 1 year later...
On 02/11/2022 at 17:08, Col. said:

That's nice work. I'd love to know how you achieved some of the changes and effects on this one :goodjob:

Feel free to ask if there is some parts or points that are of interest. I can try to remember how I've done some things.

• Thanks 1

The engine looks monstrously huge now! Lovely looking conversion. My dad had a CB900F in the early 1980s so I'm quite familiar with the original bike. I went out onit a few times as a passenger but I didn't really enjoy the experience at all. If anything it has put me off motorcycling for life, though I still admire a motorcycle as a piece of engineering or work of art and have a few in my stash that I need to get to.

6 hours ago, Kiertomäntä said:

Feel free to ask if there is some parts or points that are of interest. I can try to remember how I've done some things.

Thank you. The air filters and exhaust wrap in particular caught my eye; were they provided with the kit or parts you scratch-built?

Exhaust wrap is just 2mm wide flat silk string glued in spiral form and then painted with matte gray. At least in here it's available from any well-equipped store that sells fabrics and cloths.

Air filters were not provided with the kit, behind carburettors there were standard air filter box which I cut off and replaced with individual air filters. For filters themselves I can't remember if I used aftermarket resin filters or made them. In original post I wrote them to be scratchbuilt but those doesn't look like scratchbuilt to me... Not original parts from kit anyway, that's for sure.

• Thanks 1

Proper badass 👍 

In „real life“ the Honda CB‘s have also become a popular subject for cafe racers, sometimes good, sometimes bad, depending on the outcome (and the eyes looking I guess). But yours I certainly wouldn‘t mind having in my future collection :) 

• Like 1