Airfix 1/144 SRN/Mountbatton class cross Channel hovercraft

airfixpeter

@airfixpeter I hope you’ve not got much further yet.  The vehicle decks on the SR.N4s were a dull brick red anti-slip finish rather than the rather bright crimson that your images show.  Airfix missed a trick here as the floors of the inboard, car deck, cabins were carpeted in the same colour as the outer and forward cabins.  They were deleted during the conversion to Mk. 2 standard as the lack of windows contributed to motion sickness amongst passengers seated therein.

@dnl42 Airfix didn’t depict the lift fans as they’re buried below the cabin floors and the bases of the prop pylons; their intakes are depicted as deep blind holes in the roof moulding.  The fans themselves are 11 feet six inches in diameter and, when built, were balanced to less than 2 ounces difference across the diameter at a number of points.  Over time this Friday be balance was lost and vibration levels increased very noticeably.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

At the moment it's gone to the bottom of the pile lack of mojo and so many other projects on the go I hope I can complete 

Not to worry.  I often find with a more demanding kit that I need to take a break from it and come back with a clear head.  Sometimes mes getting on with sub assemblies for a while helps, ‘til you have to start putting everything together.

• 1 year later...

Just to revive this thread and I'm currently building one of these and basically 'it's a dog'! There is a gap at the back of the skirt that I had to rectify with a piece of plasticard and filler. Trying to get the window sections to fit altogether is my current issue, so a lot of fettling and I can see the next problem will be fitting the roof!  I have seen good examples of these built up, so I am hopeful that my skills will prevail. At least I don't have an issue with the BR logos, as I am doing mine in the HoverLloyd scheme.  

AMB, we’ve all had to deal with this back of the skirt problem (does that sound right !!). I think it is one of the reasons the kit isn’t being re-released. Once it is painted you’ll wonder why you worried. There are so many more interesting bits to look at.

When you get to it you will find that the roof kinda fits fine. I seem to remember only minor adjustments. Looking forward to seeing some images of how you are getting on.

Cheers

Adrian 😊

• 2 months later...