300 SLR 1955 Mille Miglia, Stirling Moss event winner

Another subject I've been working on for some time. Scratch work doesn't come easily to me and takes me forever. I'll pore over reference material for hours on end as an excuse not to perform any physical work. So cutting away a small element because it doesn't quite fit in with my sense of authenticity can be very dangerous! It is hugely satisfying though in the long term.

66 years to the day (1st May 1955) since this car won the event.

Revell 'Classic' 1/24 Mercedes 300 SLR 1955 Mille Miglia worki in progress

p?i=1f7aff4daa17d9d39e1b01d98061c5bd

p?i=e04d9b2f70395875152b60794d5f719b

p?i=d20a86f78740938e2dfebb743cb86340

• Like 8

Very good start on this one, and I can say you underestimate your scratching skill. 👍

You have probably a ton of ref. photos, but, I can't resist, if it can help, to publish hereunder some pictures, which seem fundamental to my eyes:

51150790282_95aa157021_b.jpg  51150790332_e3dc5bcb80_b.jpg

51150790327_144b23f6d4_b.jpg   51151463616_d3d20a5f05_b.jpg

51151695473_6f72d6d381_b.jpg   51151463626_236b2616f7_b.jpg

You have nicely detailed the top water cooling pipe :)  and I see that you've planned to scratch the plumbing of the injection pump...

You could plan too the wiring of the distributor and of the 16 spark plugs (2 for each cylinder), and the plumbing of the fuel filter....😉

And finish the scratching of the battery 🤔

Keep on the good work, mate 😎

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

You have nicely detailed the top water cooling pipe :)  and I see that you've planned to scratch the plumbing of the injection pump...

You could plan too the wiring of the distributor and of the 16 spark plugs (2 for each cylinder), and the plumbing of the fuel filter....😉

And finish the scratching of the battery 🤔

Keep on the good work, mate 😎

Thanks for those encouraging words CrazyCrank. And a very big thank you for the reference photos, kind of you. My ignorance though is highlighted, I've been interested/loved cars and motorsport most of my 60 (odd) years but still cannot necessarily name the various components like you do, I only have a rough idea. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, modelbautony said:

Thanks for those encouraging words CrazyCrank. And a very big thank you for the reference photos, kind of you. My ignorance though is highlighted, I've been interested/loved cars and motorsport most of my 60 (odd) years but still cannot necessarily name the various components like you do, I only have a rough idea. 

My father was a mechanic and I spent numerous hours of my free time during my youth to repair cars with him, so I've no merits :)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Really interesting project.  I have been thinking if new Tamiya kit and this old Monogram could be put together. Maybe this would make detailing easier.

The answer is no, unless you want to create a hybrid or a chimera

The 2 cars have not the same engine (8 cylinder vs  6), nor the same injection pump  consequently .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1