I made an order on Ali Express for the first time... I was doubtful that the item would actually arrive but at £7 for a resin figure, I was prepared to take a chance. War Daddy arrived just 10 days later...

Decals from Forgebear.

I’ve painted a few figures now but this was the first time on this scale where I was trying to get a figure to actually look like an actual person. A new challenge and I found this much harder than just painting a face.

D1926100-93D3-4AEF-941E-9B6706233419

6416459D-51D4-46E8-B692-64AC38E2DCAD

430DC7EB-21C2-4A66-8122-29449CB36011

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Excellent paint job, but I'm also truly impressed by the quality of the sculpting. For that money, it's pure gold! :clap:

What scale is it, please?

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

It’s 1/16. 120mm figure.

The quality is really good. I couldn’t fault the casting.

However, I’ve noticed that many of the figures for sale appear to be Jeffshui’s models. I wonder if these are copies/recasts as the prices are a fraction of the uk price. The quality though is excellent so I’m puzzled.

• Thanks 1

Wonderfully painted! 👏

At that price (a good 1/5 the original),  no mention of product brand (51-Studio), highly likely this is a pirated casting.  Just be aware that Ali Express is where the recasters like to ply their 'business'.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

In the background is indeed a Sherman (but not Fury). 

6188B328-230C-46E7-97B9-F7664D3C2EAA

These were Sol figures.

I wondered if the figures on Ali Express were legit... I collect Lego and there are Chinese brands who copy the figures exactly. The quality is the same. They aren’t inferior at all but... as a collector it is very much frowned upon to purchase these copies as they are a copyright infringement and plague the hobby.

I understand now @JackG that this is therefore likely to be a recast. The thing is, the quality and casting is excellent quality (and no different to the quality of the real Sol figures I painted recently). I presumed recasts would be easy to spot  from their poor, pocked quality.

You’ve confirmed that there’s copies in this hobby too, which I hadn’t really considered. Presumably there are other threads on here discussing the morality (if not illegality) of buying recasts and why they should be avoided.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That's Brad. No doubt at all. I like your painterly style, sort of Van Gough does Comic book, and yet the character shows through on War Daddy's face so unmistakably The anonymous figure of the driver has loads of individuality too. 

• 1 month later...