C-47 Dacota 1/72 Italeri HAF paintbrush

Nicely done,.... I had the pleasure of looking over a few of these at Sedes during a detachment to Greece when the 1990`s nastiness kicked off next door!

244-Sigs-Greek-Dak.jpg

244-Sigs-Greek-Dak-2.jpg

244-dakota-sedes-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 4

Thank you guys. Tony in Sedes airport was the squadron No355.1 with Dacotas. Sedes has psp runway the last in Europe (I think) In 1981 at southeast  place of runway there were many retired Dacotas. There were too on road Thessaloniki-Perea (suburb near Thessaloniki) 2 Dacotas cuttted in pieces like salami sold as metal. 

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

One of them is using as cafeteria in area near the national road Thessaloniki -Katerini 

and the second yellow-blue is a beerhouse in Athens

Edited by nikos

3 hours ago, nikos said:

Thank you guys. Tony in Sedes airport was the squadron No355.1 with Dacotas. Sedes has psp runway the last in Europe (I think) In 1981 at southeast  place of runway there were many retired Dacotas. There were too on road Thessaloniki-Perea (suburb near Thessaloniki) 2 Dacotas cuttted in pieces like salami sold as metal. 

When I was at Sedes there was a big pile of broken Dakota`s in the middle of the airfeld,..... a friend and I went for a walk and crawlied in and around them,.... as you say I believe they have since been dragged to the the edges of the airfield. I still have a few souvenirs such as a fuel cap cover and a canvas pocket from the cockpit bearing the original USAAF stencils,...... I also believe that one of the flying aircraft that I went in crashed a week later, killing the crew?

244-sede-mark-frayling.jpg

The base museum was excellent too with a few more Dakota`s including a VIP aircraft, plus F-86`s, F-102`s, T-33, a Noratlas etc,

244-sedes-f-86.jpg

244-sedes-t-33-NEW.jpg

244-sedes-dakota-cockpit-NEW.jpg

Your countrymen really looked after us during our trip, especially up in the mountains along the then Yugoslav border,..... and crikey it was cold!!!!I have since been back to Greece many time,.... but under more peaceful circumstances!

244-greece-yugoslavia-sign-NEW.jpg

244-Sigs-Greece-TOC-2.jpg

244-Sigs-TOC-2-Landy-s.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Tony, I do not know if there was another NATO exercise in SEDES after 1981 but a similar exercise took place between 1980-81. The Dakota were parked on both tracks of SEDES, before their withdrawal. And I know this because I was at that time a student of the military aviation school which, as I noted, appears with the red outline in your photo. I remember that at that time an exercise took place in Sedes and English soldiers with Land Rover etc came and camped in the grove in front and to the left of my School (as you can see in the photo) right next to the monument to the fallen pilots of Mona. They had set up the tents in the grove and had put camouflage nets on top. We saw them during the breaks and if I remember correctly, maybe a group of our students visited your camp to see the variation you made. Dakota with the accident I think happened in 1990

Video greekTV for the accident

https://youtu.be/MGOoWyZ5uys

spacer.png

Edited by nikos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nikos said:

Tony, I do not know if there was another NATO exercise in SEDES after 1981 but a similar exercise took place between 1980-81. The Dakota were parked on both tracks of SEDES, before their withdrawal. And I know this because I was at that time a student of the military aviation school which, as I noted, appears with the red outline in your photo. I remember that at that time an exercise took place in Sedes and English soldiers with Land Rover etc came and camped in the grove in front and to the left of my School (as you can see in the photo) right next to the monument to the fallen pilots of Mona. They had set up the tents in the grove and had put camouflage nets on top. We saw them during the breaks and if I remember correctly, maybe a group of our students visited your camp to see the variation you made. Dakota with the accident I think happened in 1990

Video greekTV for the accident

https://youtu.be/MGOoWyZ5uys

spacer.png

Hello,.... I was at Sedes in the early 1990`s,.... it was VERY low key and some of the men stationed at Sedes were sent on leave due to  our presence,.... we stayed in their barracks opposite the loction where the Dakota`s were parked.. I cannot really say much more on an open forum. We visited lots of military sites up on the border area and your countrymen were VERY glad to see us and VERY welcoming. We flew in and out of nearby Micra on RAF Hercules. 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot