1/48 Monogram FSD F/A-18A Hornet: The COVID-19 edition

Why COVID-19....because from 6-feet away, it looks OK.

This is the mid-80's, second release of the Monogram Hornet F-18A which I actually build as a 14-15 year old.  Kit goes together OK...just be ready to fill and sand, and loose detail, but overall I think the outline looks good.  OOB build....EXCEPT for the bombs and Sparrow missile/rail...and dual sidewinder rail stolen from a F-4 kit.  

Caracal decal sheet CD48158 went down beautifully.....except for one little detail that I changed.  The slime lights on the tails and fuselage practically disappeared when applied.  So I went to my decal stash and found some other slime lights which you can actually see.  In no way does this take away from Caracal decals...I have used three sets and they are wonderful.  

Painting was a pain.....won't lie there.  Blue on white....tough.  Be ready for tons of masking if you choose this scheme.  

Well this will be off to the display case onboard NAS Pax River to join my other test birds on display.....socially distanced in the display case of course.

Cheers

Collin

ruHQhs6.jpg

f6AOZlO.jpg

Ed7Yg4H.jpg

lQf6ekW.jpg

IWrdyFq.jpg

FPDQ3cl.jpg

0KI5EAM.jpg

2u5J1lX.jpg

iRjZWAl.jpg

BtKpDTz.jpg

• Like 31

Test birds are not subjects too often modelled.  I'll bet that not a modelers realize how accurate the old Monogram F-18 and A-18 kits from the 1980s actually are for the FSD jets.  From the vents that don't exist on production jets to the "odd" shapes of wing pylons.  Your series of Test birds in all their "non-standard" color schemes is outstanding!:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Very nicely done. I built that kit so many times in my misspent youth, and I remember all the sanding! Not as much as the quarter scale Monogram Tomcat though. I think I may have built the Hasegawa 1:32 F-18 prototype in that scheme as well. It's a nice scheme for a development aircraft. Now, will you do the red & white one?

Cheers,

Bill

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Very nicely done. I built that kit so many times in my misspent youth, and I remember all the sanding! Not as much as the quarter scale Monogram Tomcat though. I think I may have built the Hasegawa 1:32 F-18 prototype in that scheme as well. It's a nice scheme for a development aircraft. Now, will you do the red & white one?

Cheers,

Bill

I’m taking a break from white paint for a bit, but I do plan on doing the red/white T1 two seat TF-18 with the Testors kit. Someday. 

Cheers

Collin

• Like 2