Trumpeter 1/350 Italian Heavy Cruiser 'Zara'

Gidday Jon, I've found that close-up photos are not kind to us, they show a model warts and all. But as you said, often these blemishes can't be seen with the naked eye. The PE really enhances the model, as to those gun barrels. Well done, she's looking good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

ladders did not turn out that bad

Very kind of you to say so.

I think they are pretty crappy and am just grateful that they will be sort of hidden.

Still a way to go.

Jon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

The PE really enhances the model,

It does, but sometimes it is (how can I put this politely?) challenging ?

Jon

• Haha 3

The Trumpy and Hobby boss PE is horrible to work with as it is nowhere near the standards of the upgrade companies like Flyhawk Pontos Infini Big Blue Boy MK1 etc. Their PE is not a good representation of what is available and doable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RGL said:

The Trumpy and Hobby boss PE is horrible to work with as it is nowhere near the standards of the upgrade companies like Flyhawk Pontos Infini Big Blue Boy MK1 etc. Their PE is not a good representation of what is available and doable. 

I have to agree and have often bought PE sets, when there is none or little included in the kit. However, some of the upgrade sets are extremely expensive and I have to take this into account, especially when paying £60 plus for a kit.

Also, I’ve found I am unable to buy some PE sets within the UK and must buy from various parts of the world, this can at times, when postage is added, almost double the cost of the PE. 
Although there does seem to be quite a few PE producers around the world, there are not many suppliers who stock them within the UK.

So I am left with little option, but to make do with what is included.
Jon

• Like 1

What superstructure I've done, I thought I'd dry fit to get an idea of how things are progressing.

I've painted a black line along the hull, which will become a thin black line between the grey of the hull above the waterline and the green below, just need to figure out how thick to make it.

Jon

p?i=d3aae163a4b71c4b6e5d3fdae7674188

p?i=5c03a5159c3f2824c3b1a9afb41fbea8

• Like 3

2 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Your motoring through by the looks of it, coming together nicely imo, out of curiosity do you paint by hand or airbrush?

So far, I’ve been using a brush as the areas haven’t been big enough to warrant mixing paint for my airbrush. But I will airbrush the hull, as I get a far better finish on bigger areas that way.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've finished the bridge. Lots of bending of the PE, at this rate going back to the 1/700 scale is going to be a lot easier.

Once again, a photo shows too much detail and some of my, not so good modelling skills.

p?i=ef02d4c0124abed2c96af6962b703464

I've sprayed the hull. This is the first time I've had to put a black line, between the grey of the above the waterline colour and, this time green, of the below waterline. I think it might be a bit thin, but it came out quite well, despite that.

p?i=bc0b882ea302127d73f0a8652b66ad53

p?i=a10e447a3d58dd8951b96f8044b8cb6f

I've stuck on the deck. As most of the parts that will be fitted are quite delicate, so to stick the deck on after they are fitted to it might be a mistake.

I've dry fitted the superstructure and main armament and I think its shaping up fairly well.

p?i=4bbadbaed03fd27ad350447eede32948

Jon

• Like 6

Gidday Jon, I think many of us know that close-up photos are not kind to models, but they usually look fine to the naked eye, which is what most will view it through. And I like to get the main decks on early if I can, before I attach fiddley bits. If tape is required to get the deck fitted properly it can do a lot of harm to said fiddley bits I've found.

She's looking good. I'm rather interested in the foremast structure - four support legs? I've not noticed that before, but then I don't know a lot about Italian cruisers. I think the red and white stripes are a bit of an eye-sore, but then I guess they're meant to stand out, which they certainly do. 🙂 Keep up the good work. Regards, Jeff.

32 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I think the red and white stripes are a bit of an eye-sore, but then I guess they're meant to stand out, which they certainly do. 

Jeff. They do stand out, they are partly why I chose to build this ship. All that grey gets a bit boring. Evidently, during WW2 the Italian Airforce used to attack ANY ship that could float, so I reckon they made the right choice with the stripes. Mind you, I’ve yet to find any evidence that it worked.
And those four legs that go through the bridge superstructure, I thought might be a problem. But everything lines up so well, they just slid through with very little effort.

Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

pity about the red and white stripes I am more of a black and white myself.  :footy:

Ah, but it’s Italian, they are a very colourful culture.

And anyway, if it means you don’t get bombed, I’d have painted the whole damn ship in red and white stripes. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Faraway said:

All that grey gets a bit boring.

Agreed. A simple colour scheme speeds the build up a bit I find, but I like a bit of variety in the display case. Hence dazzle camo on many of my models. It was one of the reasons I chose to build HMS York instead of Exeter a number of years ago. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I've spent a day making this mast assembly, lots of bending and folding.

p?i=941af4c774b82c2153062d887d9fe473

p?i=6c47afc3abcb290d3673656ea1d9fe8b

And then a dab of paint etc. and a bit of 'string'.

p?i=b2f1b7e46868b11b0fadd669b33d6024

More bending and folding (this WAS a fiddle)

p?i=013d0a785ede79c2fac98133ae9d7714

And finally, guns added to the deck.

p?i=128cfdb73e8476897d9dcad72b469b68

And I had a moment of weakness when I went into my local model shop.................

p?i=46c7b92e5c2ea96fda8795f0773f969c

Ships still aren't the majority of my stash,  but they are getting there. I suppose I'll go back to armour and aeroplanes one day.

Jon

• Like 5

@RGLI wonder if you can solve a bit of a mystery ? I've three pieces of PE left, that do not appear on the instructions as to where to fit.

p?i=087b078fe4fd3bfda592a4d018bcf65d

I think the ladder is to go up the top section of the mast, from the crows nest up. But the two #10 pieces I have no idea.

Any thoughts ?

Jon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

I think the ladder is to go up the top section of the mast, from the crows nest up. But the two #10 pieces I have no idea.

Any thoughts ?

I think you are right about the ladder for the top mast but the #10 parts look like they are supposed to come out from under the platform at 45 degree angle to wards the rear these would then have rigging attached to the mid point of top mast to act as a support stay.  Or I think looking at photos of POLA one of ZARAS sister ships to be attached to the yard arm like this. 

spacer.png

Really taking shape there now Jon.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

They do look like a yardarm brace. Because I used another upgrade set I can’t be sure, Trumpy will sometimes do generic PE for a series of ships (they may be required on the next Italian ship perhaps?) if you look at the mainmast here. spacer.png

• Like 3

@beefy66 @RGL I think you are right. I’ll see if they will fit, shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I don’t think this etch is for another ship, it is marked up with the kit number and ZARA, I think they just missed it off the instructions, it’s not the first time.

Jon

Just about finished. Need to add some rigging to the mast etc, touch up the PE where the paint has chipped off. And add the anchor chains. And then the dreaded weathering. I will post some, hopefully, better piccy's on RFI.

p?i=6ab1a6aaad8aa81ab4d6586c99be2bf5

p?i=931a2ec36766420cc1c6939f7098237b

p?i=3a6e8a5e07bbdcb11105a2335f165d16

p?i=75591aa98e74c3fb3706ba8321e7029e

Oh....and Mr Credit Card escaped and before I could restrain him, he bought this.

p?i=dc28c6d189cb826554271f7b25ac1325

That'll be a bit different. So, before I start again I'll need to to make a choice, which to build next......

The above or, Hobbyboss 'Dunkerque', or Trumpeter 'Tashkent'

Answers on a postcard please.

Jon

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

The above or, Hobbyboss 'Dunkerque', or Trumpeter 'Tashkent'

My vote would be for the 'Tashkent' going off the speed of your builds so far it will not take you long to get on to the others.

looks good so far good luck with the rigging.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1