1/72 Puma HC.2 in special Tiger livery

16 hours ago, Pat C said:

Really nice Puma - that nose glazing is a nightmare isn’t it but your end result is excellent!!

Pat

Thank you...very flattered by this as your desert coloured one was a big inspiration! (Too much glazing to enjoy, I mean it’s not like I’d done loads of masking already by that point...🤣)

Edited by The Shearwater

11 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I agree with Pat--the whole model is tough, and Airfix/Heller make you earn your modeler's stripes.  I was under the impression that the nose area of the original Airfix kit, if built SOB, bore only faint resemblance to that of the real aircraft. 

Thank you - I didn’t think the glazing was too far off the reference pics I’d found, so either Heller or the RAF changed something in the meantime! It’s only now I’m an adult and prepared to spend more than 10 minutes total on a kit, that I appreciate the older kits weren’t always entirely wonderful... definitely treating myself to something newer for the next build!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks great!

I'm about to embark on the same kit for the same conversion to HC2 standard, but aiming to do 'Black Peter' from 2014! What did you use to do the bigger engine exhausts if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I have 2x 1/144 Puma's to create a few smaller HC2's as well!

Cheers,

Matt

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2022 at 23:01, lowlevelraf said:

Looks great!

I'm about to embark on the same kit for the same conversion to HC2 standard, but aiming to do 'Black Peter' from 2014! What did you use to do the bigger engine exhausts if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I have 2x 1/144 Puma's to create a few smaller HC2's as well!

Cheers,

Matt

Hi, sorry for the late reply @lowlevelraf, only just seen this. Look forward to seeing your finished version, if you choose to share it on here!

The exhausts were made from 1/4” plastic tube - I’ve got a pack of mixed Evergreen stuff and the 1/4” looked pretty close to my untrained eye.. A short length was cut, then the sort-of V shaped notch sanded into it (hard to explain but clearer on pics of the real thing). Painted silver, then dry brushed with a little metallic blue and copper to give the heat blued effect. Actually worked out better than I’d hoped and certainly a big improvement on the kit parts.

Edited by The Shearwater
  • Like 1

@Ad-4N thank you. The “outside” scene is two separate bits: a Noy’s base (U.K. Cold War Heavy Bomber) and a model railway backdrop from id Backscenes (available from various sellers inc Amazon). This one is the “Retail Park” and is actually nothing to do with aviation, it’s just that the brick buildings on one section of it look very much like the style of RAF buildings on many bases.

It’s glued to a section of foamboard and propped up in the background.