1/72 Puma HC.2 in special Tiger livery

That’s looks absolutely brilliant especially in that scale. A rarely seen subject considering the aircraft has been around for a bit.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Plasticbasher said:

That’s really nice! Not seen the scheme before. Shame the kit gave you a hard time but you’ve come out on top!

Thank you, I more or less beat it into submission...!

14 hours ago, spruecutter said:

Very nicely done - and good photography too.

Thanks - it's good practise for the other hobby!

12 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done!  Having seen this kit as-is, and seeing what you did with it, I am really impressed.  This looks very much the HC.2, despite all of the kit's attempts to push back against you!

Thanks! I think the most disappointing bit was the cabin section, which if mounted correctly, pushed the nose glass section forward about 2-3mm (and there was no way to sand down the instrument binnacle that much to let the nose glass sit flush). Easy decision, eventually, as to where the ugly gap needing filling should be... cut lots of the inside away and move the cabin section back. Regardless of the innards, the outside certainly resembles XW224 now!

Edited by The Shearwater

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

I enjoyed your progress on this and the finished Puma looks superb,.... well done. 

Cheers

Tony

That's very kind, thanks - I honestly lost heart halfway through the WIP thread as the problems (and untidy solutions) piled up - I honestly didn't feel qualified offering advice or evidence of my butchering, so stopped taking pics (and very nearly stopped the build). By the final decals / aerials stage it was looking much better though, much to my relief!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Outstanding looking model great scheme fantastic work and a great set of photos Kudos to you :clap2:

Thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Thank you kindly... it really is a striking livery (I wasn't so much a fan of the previous, orange tiger schemes), enough to tempt me away from the traditional drab green I was almost committed to! The backdrops look great for any model especially the Noy's hangar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedy said:

That’s looks absolutely brilliant especially in that scale. A rarely seen subject considering the aircraft has been around for a bit.

Thank you. You're right, I think it's strange that after re-issuing kits like the Phantom, Buccaneer, Harrier GR1, Sea King etc in 1/72, Airfix haven't got round to updating the Puma which - unlike these other types - is still in operational service! Presumably they don't see a sufficient market for it, as perhaps it's seen as more niche? I'd certainly take my chances with a new tool / new plastic version though!

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Superb! Looks like a lot of work went into it but it’s certainly paid off. Outstanding model and very realistic photos too.

Thank you very much, it was an exercise in the word "compromise" - I could have carried on for days, adding more and more tiny aerials to the damn thing! I do a bit of photography away from this, and one of the best quotes I ever read from a pro was along the lines of "it's often the background, not the subject, which makes a great photo". True enough with the great Noy's Miniatures backdrops I've got here.

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

That looks and excellent result. Take it they are resin engine intakes.

Love the hangar shots looks the business...

Thank you. They’re actually the kit plastic parts (the Heller kit came with the extended intakes, unlike the Airfix boxing) but with a piece of Eduard etch wrapped around each one (from their Super Puma detailing set). I sanded the plastic intake down a bit, to help the etched part sit more flush. You can see the join where the etch starts, just about 1/3 way back from the intake mouth. Bit of weathering wash on the side vents to highlight them, and they came out ok, even if the paint hid most of their lovely detailed surface!!!

The hangar’s a great backdrop, isn’t it. I’d love a bigger version so I could photograph more models inside, sadly it’s one at a time for now!

All your efforts in beating this into submission has paid dividends in producing a first rate model of the Puma in a most attractive colour scheme. Well done. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cngaero said:

All your efforts in beating this into submission has paid dividends in producing a first rate model of the Puma in a most attractive colour scheme. Well done. 

Thanks, it’s an interesting livery alright!

12 hours ago, troschi said:

That’s a very good result. I like it. Proof that an nowadays ancient kit doesn‘t have to hide! 

Thank you - although it’s by no means perfect, it certainly looks more like XW224 than when I started! (The next couple of builds will be more modern kits, which hopefully require less butchering and swearing!)

I agree with Pat--the whole model is tough, and Airfix/Heller make you earn your modeler's stripes.  I was under the impression that the nose area of the original Airfix kit, if built SOB, bore only faint resemblance to that of the real aircraft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1