Panzerjager Elefant no 113 in Italy

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

Here first steps on painting.

A  base coat of Mig Primer + preshading with Tamiya Nato Black (I run out of Tamiya black!).

I find some problems with Ammo primer. They say to use it without diluition but in this way it dried out too fast closing the nozzle with terrible glop! Maybe it is better to use the thinnner 🤔 

Abbpnqr.jpg

maFoCHo.jpg

LgxDkYV.jpg

Then I added Gelb base with Ammo RAL 8020 

4QxZfLS.jpg

ESGHpJr.jpg

About road wheels I decided to leave inner face in red oxide primer using Ammo Ral 8012 

uVoApbF.jpg

lCoQ4AD.jpg

duKrtvV.jpg

Feel free for any comments.

Ciao and Marry Christmas to you

Filippo

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, previous Dunkelgelb base with Mig RAL 8020 didn't meet my expectation.
So, I restart with a Tamiya Flat Earth XF 52 base. Then Dunkelgelb was done with Tamiya Dark yellow XF59.
The highlights were done adding Tamiya Flat White XF2.
RevQCbc.jpg

6tjVFBC.jpg

PuwrRFl.jpg

f1hV81C.jpg

Postshading with  Tamiya Flat Earth XF 52 base.

TUmcNsF.jpg

kOuoHHq.jpg

0i634CC.jpg

7qaTx15.jpg

Now it is time to add the camo but I have some doubts.
Tamiya instructions say to use XF64 Red Brown and XF67 for Dark Green. They seem to me too dark.
I was thinking about some alternatives:
- Mig RAL 6003 or Mig RAL 6011 Resengreen (too bright) for green;
- Mig RAL 8012 or RAL 8017 (too dark) or Tamiya Nato brown for brown

KNtKFzy.jpg

BXiJrXZ.jpg

What do you suggest?
Many thanks in advance.
Ciao
Filippo

• Like 11

It seems to me that the colors should be what you like and look good on the model - just so that the model looks good, recognizable, and clearly visible. For me, for example, historically absolutely accurate shades of paint do not matter, it is important for me that the model looks good.
On the one hand, camouflage should hide a real tank, distort its shape. But on the other hand, everything should be different on the model - camouflage should not hide the model itself. In such a situation, it seems to me that the colors should not be accurate, but those, that helps the model to look better.

Vytautas

• Like 6

Hi Filippo, just read the whole thread, superb modelling and detail work.  Painting I find is the difficult part, especially German colours.  I was looking at a Panther build on another site and they recommended Tamiya XF-79 linoleum deck brown as a good red/brown camouflage colour and I use it with Tamiya XF-89 dark green 2.  The main thing as you say is does it 'look right', that is the main thing, you have to be happy with it. :like:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Filippo, painting looks brilliant, this is going to look very good. I missed your previous post, regarding Ammo primer I always use this and dilute with Vallejo airbrush thinner, only a few drops and it helps stop the clogging. I had the same as you clogging all the time until I thinned it. Keep up the good work...

Ed

• Like 1

If you're talking about Oneshot primer I use it with a dilution of 5 to 10% and also adding some flow improver, and usually at near 25 psi, and I do some tip cleanings to avoid clogs. Apart that its the best primer!

Cheers

LM

PS:and with a large tip. Here .5

Edited by Lazy Modeller
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Phil1960 said:

Thank you Lazy Modeller! yes I'm referring to Oneshot primer.

Ciao

Filippo

Lately I'm using an old Revell blower I have. Just tried once but it worked like a charm. Same finish like a rattle can and much easier to clean than the Infinity CR plus 2... think its the best way to apply these primers.

Cheers

LM

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I made my choiche: XF-79 Linuleum Deck brown with XF-89 Dark Green 2 from Tamiya. Low pressure in airbrush (0.4 nozzle but with 0.2 is better) and high diluition. They lok good but tell me what do yoy think about.

iP18xxN.jpg

Ciao

Filippo 

• Like 8