MiniArt 1/35 LANZ D8532 Tractor

I already have two tractor builds on the go, in two different GB's, so this is probably not the wisest thing to do... But who said we have to do wise things all the time!?

So I'm going to go ahead and start a WIP for this very cool looking tractor. 

20210430154620-05412b6d-me.jpg

I love the subjects MiniArt come up with and, being immersed in tractor builds, I couldn't withstand this one. I just picked it up this afternoon and I'm going to make a start on it tonight, even if I don't have a lot of time and it will be build #3!

More later 🙂 

• Like 7

• JeroenS changed the title to MiniArt 1/35 LANZ D8532 Tractor

Well, one page into the instructions and we're seeing a basic shape emerge. Lots of nice detail as expected.

20210430210021-20aeae64-me.jpg

20210430210023-799da2d2-me.jpg

Well engineered as usual. Although I fail to see the point of having to add one bolt end when the rest is moulded on... 

20210430210022-c87b54af-me.jpg

At the top of this part

20210430210022-1eb2c2b2-me.jpg

goes one part 24 (right, there's two more somewhere)

20210430210022-71d8cd90-me.jpg

so it looks 

20210430210023-7dbb7487-me.jpg

EXACTLY the same as all the other, moulded on, bolt ends... 

What is this, a threat? If you all keep buying our kits then one day all the bolt ends will be like this? Of course it would make more sense to have them all like this, or all moulded on. 

Anyway, now we know that MiniArt can mould bolt ends. But I already suspected as much. 

So much for the rant 🙂 .... I'm enjoying myself just fine!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

So I guess you're down to the nuts and bolts of the build then mate? I think I'll follow along as I reckon you'll make a fine job of the paint and weathering....now come on crack on young man 🙂👍

• Like 1

Cracking on... 

Basic bonnet and cab shape. 

20210430220039-328722e2-me.jpg

20210430220039-acacddde-me.jpg

Should be something like this later on. More parts to be added to the chassis first. 

20210430220038-0fbe50c3-me.jpg

These LANZ tractors apparently had some special kind of engine, with a unique sound. Before being able to start it, the engine had to be pre-heated and a fire was lit in the front bulb before you could start it. The bulb is called a "Glühkopf" which means something like "glowhead". 

You can see this in the video here: 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Spiny said:

Good to see you back in this section. 

Thanks, yep I wandered off into the dark abyss of the GB area 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Spiny said:

do they do another version which has something else attached where that bolt goes?

Nah I think it's just showing off 😉 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Do they do another version which has something else attached where that bolt goes?

By the way, you're probably right, there are more versions of this kit.

Right, tweezers and magnifiers at the ready.... We're in the "adding really small and delicate parts to the chassis" phase. 

20210501073430-5181bd6e-me.jpg

20210501073430-1d06bca9-me.jpg

Extra careful handling too... It's something I love about these MiniArt kits though. You have to be totally focussed on these little parts and before you know it an hour and a half have gone by. 

But now, it's off to 1:1 work for the day. Lamps, paint, the kind of stuff you do after a house move. I know what I'd rather be doing though :whistle:

• Like 6

I'm in awe of the level of detailing those Miniart kits provide at such a tiny scale, the linkages for example 😲

In comparison, much more than Tamiya's ones 🤔

Very good start on this on Jeroen 👍

• Like 1

Oh I like the look of that. Unusual subject. I have only built one tractor & that was just a load on a Blitz truck.Will follow with interest Not done a 1 35th scale kit

• Like 1

After dinner, my wife wanted to paint the stairs to the second floor. I was given a choice of locations: second floor (where my room is) or not. Well, that was easy!

While she was at it with the paint roller I was building a seat, MiniArt style. In 1/35 scale kits, or most larger scales for that matter, seats usually have 2, maybe 3 parts. Not so for this kit. 

20210501211305-57333ace-me.jpg

That's 8 parts. 

20210501211306-5a50304e-me.jpg

Sure, you can argue about over-engineering. But I like it, it gives you the idea you're building a seat. And it looks nice too, once completed. 

20210501211306-cac3b96c-me.jpg

20210501211307-a87e9091-me.jpg

It's leaning against my nippers, otherwise it would keel over. These are Master Tool's single blade nippers, I've had them for a while but it's the first time I'm using them on a MiniArt build. You really can't do without nippers like that. Parts will come off the sprues easily, it's usually after when things get complicated. Inevitably, a piece of the sprue gate will be left on the part. I'm really wondering sometimes how to do the cleanup. A sharp blade and a small piece of sanding paper will usually do the trick. After that, as needed, I "paint" the part with a little Extra Thin cement to get rid of the small scratches, while being careful not to douse the details with it. 

Meanwhile, some extra detail was added to the chassis. 

20210501211308-77889555-me.jpg

A little closer up, especially for @CrazyCrank 🙂 

20210501211303-817b66c3-me.jpg

And bonnet has been married to the chassis. 

20210501211304-7d209f22-me.jpg

20210501211305-1a1d910b-me.jpg

Next up is cab floor. That's for tomorrow morning. 

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Coming together nicely Jeroen looks great so far 👌 👍 

It's faster than I thought it would be. Really nice build so far. But then I haven't broken anything yet. 

Btw, I was all set for looking through your build this evening... Saturday chores got in the way?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

Weird looking beastie, but kinda cool.  I've got the Mod.1938 to tackle some day :)

I like that Mod. 1937, cool stuff indeed!

8 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

It's faster than I thought it would be. Really nice build so far. But then I haven't broken anything yet. 

Btw, I was all set for looking through your build this evening... Saturday chores got in the way?

Made a start this afternoon but not much to show yet, however should get more time tomorrow so I hope to have the shell in primer at the very least 🙂👍

• Like 1

Great work Jeroen That looks to be an incredibly detailed model.Will have to give 1/ 35th scale a try. Just been to Specsavers so should be Ok.

• Like 1

Really nice work so far Jeroen. There's some lovely detail in the kit. I've just made a start on the D8500 (the steel rimmed one), and it's surprising just how small these tractors were. The box art on all three versions that MiniArt have released makes them look much larger.

Regarding the bolt that needs adding to the top of the glühkopf; it's the same on the version I'm doing. I think it was probably done this way because the mould needed clearence for the circular panel on top of the bulb. If you look carefully, there's a very slight mould line that runs around the circular panel where the top section of the mould tool came down.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

If you look carefully, there's a very slight mould line that runs around the circular panel where the top section of the mould tool came down.

Indeed there is, that makes sense. I'm always surprised at how much detail is on the parts and how clean the moulds are. 

7 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

The more I see of these MiniArt kits the more appealing they become.

Go ahead and try one, you know you want to :wicked:

• Haha 1

Early mornings and after dinner is when I can sneak some time in at the bench. A bunch of larger parts were added today, like the cab floor and those big drums on the sides of the engine. 

20210502203601-b578818e-me.jpg

20210502203602-7107cda7-me.jpg

A nice touch is that MiniArt gave directions for wiring, which I followed as you can see. 

I guess that now makes me an "experienced modeller" yay!

20210502203601-b9778f95-me.jpg

Speaking for myself, I feel they could change this phrase into something more encouraging. Like "Optional. Go ahead, try it out!"... I mean you will never gain experience in the this department if you never add wires and such. 

Anyway. 

10 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

I've just made a start on the D8500 (the steel rimmed one), and it's surprising just how small these tractors were.

Just for fun, I tried to hide the little Lanz behind one of the 1/35 scale Kirovets wheels 🙂 

20210502203925-334f589f-me.jpg

Yep, you can almost hide a Lanz behind one of those. Not really fair because the 1:1 scale Kirovets is 7,5 meters long, 3 meters wide and 4 meters high!

As far as the Lanz build goes, I've skipped some parts for the "dashboard" and cab floor. They could snap, and also, some decals need to be added to the dashboard as well. Really small ones, of course. At this point, it's time to start adding the sides of the cab... I wonder if this would be a good decision, with regard to paint and those decals. Will I be able to get access? Hmm... I'd really like to continue the building process for as long as I can. I'm going to piece together the sides, and a dry-fit should make it easier to see and decide what to do.

• Like 4

OK, fenders / cab sides.... Yesterday I wondered if I could glue them on or leave them as separate parts.

20210503220001-de5fb6ad-me.jpg

Easy choice, it's the latter. 

20210503215959-7ea546fc-me.jpg

It becomes a very enclosed space and it's not possible to paint the insides / undersides correctly. So these will remain sub-assemblies. 

Instructions said to add more parts (like the front axle) to the chassis but I was thinking wheels. 

The rear tyres are (yay!) nicely moulded in plastic. Luckily, no rubber tyres like on my 1/24 Fergie. I'll take these over rubber tyres any day! They were the first (and only) parts with some flash on the kit. But I'm not complaining. 

20210503215959-2b16bb6d-me.jpg

Together with the insides, which contain a part of the tyre, they make a pretty darn nice wheel. 

20210503220000-8f645345-me.jpg

Everything fits beautifully of course. 

Same with the front tyres. Five rings with clever pin and hole, and a choice of outer rim. 

20210503220000-34d88d32-me.jpg

Each ring contains a part of the thread and they are quickly glued together. A little bit of sanding and voila. 

20210503220001-6f2e9175-me.jpg

I wouldn't mind tyres like this on my 1/24 scale vehicles, instead of some of the rubber ones with mould lines and all. You can sand them bald or keep them new, easily create a weighted tyre, whatever. 

• Like 5