Fiat Cr42 Flashback 1/48

Bought this from fleabay for £7.50 on a whim. 

2021-04-30_09-28-43

To be honest, it's not the best looking kit, has quite a lot of clean up needed. 

20210428_171435 20210428_171445

Does have some nicely cast resin parts, in contrast to the rough injection molding. Took everything off the sprues to clean up. 

20210429_224333

Some big feed gates that cut into the parts the spinner is almost solid on the back. 

20210428_223825

Includes some photo etch too. 

20210429_123245

Made a start on the cockpit. I must admit, at 1/48 some of this is a bit pointless as it won't be seen when the half's are closed up. I've also lost the rudder pedals to the carpet monster. 

20210429_215521

I might buy another (not a flashback) and have a go at the smoke ring camo at a later date. 

🐧

• Like 3

Horrible kit to work with. I'm glad I didn't fork out the £33 asking price on some other ebay listings. The photo etch is fiddly and unnecessary, the details on the plastic need to be reinstated in places due to flash. Think this one will just be a throw it together kinda build just to get something out of it. Will try my best and update with pictures later on. 

Ditched most the PE. Its overly complex and for very little reward. Quite peeved at myself for continuing, even when I knew it was pointless. Just plopped the seat in and the front dials. That will do. 

• Like 1

I've battled on. I'm going to say it. It's not been a 'pleasurable' kit to work with. I've had to do a lot of clean up and since I've recently learned scribing, I've had a bash at reinstating the panel lines.

Had to put pins in the wings otherwise no way to get then to sit. The lugs were long gone under flash and torn up mold.

2021-05-03_11-04-31

I ended up getting a little bored with it, so out some paint on it to pre shade, but sanding isn't quite finished in places yet. 

20210503_213326

This will be the second flashback kit I've built. And it's not at all like the Taube, which is still sat on the shelf waiting to be rigged. That kit had almost no flash and was cast in a nicer 'feeling' plastic. 

I recently made a DH2 to practice rigging. So ive got to finish the Taube now 😉

ANYWAY 

I didnt really get on with the rest of the photo etch for the cockpit. It was just to much work for so little reward. You can barely see into the office anyway. I didn't give up entirely but I also never bothered to paint the dials. Whoops. 

2021-05-03_10-47-24

The wing struts are wafer thin. And in places are mostly made of casting gates. I'm not sure if I'll use these yet. Maybe just use plasticard? 

20210503_171706

The nose needs cleaning up and rescribing in. Going to be a challenge to get it to fit. I'm actually thinking it's not worth using the resin cast engine on this. And just making two disks for the inside. 

20210503_213908

The airscoop will need some fitting too. 

Untill tomorrow, thanks for looking 

Oh the top wing is in the box, forgot to take a picture of that. That's about the only bit that seems OK. I've drilled holes in it for something to key the struts to. Bit that's for another day. 

🐧

• Like 6

This is not the best of CR42 kit, it is the old Classic Airframe, nevertheless, once finished will look much better than the Italeri one. Good luck with your built!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zigomar said:

This is not the best of CR42 kit, it is the old Classic Airframe, nevertheless, once finished will look much better than the Italeri one. Good luck with your built!

I quite fancy getting another so I can try the smoke ring camo. Maybe a macchi 200 instead. 

This has to be one of the worst kits I've made, next to the tamiya harrier frs1 😂

May I cordially point out that the smoke ring is a feature of the Macchi production line, more on the 202 and 205 than the 200, thought some late serie "Saetta" received those (and the MC 202 wing as well). Only one CR42 seems to have wore that camo as it is not a Fiat trademark. best regards.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zigomar said:

May I cordially point out that the smoke ring is a feature of the Macchi production line, more on the 202 and 205 than the 200

It appears I saw the smer box art and have confused the camo types. Still....could be a WIF, most of my builds, sorry, all of my builds are approximations with lashings of artistic licence 😂

I'm not going to use the resin engine. So I've blanked it off. Managed to crack the filler too. So had to fill again. Still needs sanding down a little. But the nose is on. 

20210505_220552

20210505_221013

Will need a bit of re, re scribing 😶😶😶

Have to sort the wing struts out next. Going to see how well the kit parts hold up before I make new ones. 

🐧

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

It appears I saw the smer box art and have confused the camo types. Still....could be a WIF, most of my builds, sorry, all of my builds are approximations with lashings of artistic licence 😂

Oh I see. Have fun.

I really should have picked a better camo scheme. One with multicoloured dots on it. I'm terrible at German camo. But too late now. 

Got colour on, got decals on, all but one had cracked, so that wasn't the easy quick job I thought it would be. Typical. 

20210509_231400

Used chalk pastels for some exhaust smoke. Hopefully it looks 'ok' 

20210509_231327 20210509_231303

You can't really see in the images. But I layered up paint on the exhausts by stippling, it gave it some nice rough texture, and there's burnt umber and yellow ochre tones in there. 

20210509_231031

Got to try and get the top wing on now. That's going to be 'fun' any suggestions? 

🐧

• Like 4

3 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

Got to try and get the top wing on now. That's going to be 'fun' any suggestions? 

Patience, ca, baking soda( acts as an accelerator) and possibly Lego for a jig.

50108748091_5b79ef3ee7_c.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Patience, ca, baking soda( acts as an accelerator) and possibly Lego for a jig.

50108748091_5b79ef3ee7_c.jpg

That's an idea. I did the sopwith a few years back and wasn't as hard because the struts are vertical. Theae are angled. 🙄