Spin the Wheel - Aussie Roulette - *Finished*

Andwil

On 6/6/2021 at 6:37 PM, PattheCat said:

Hang on, mate, it's too nice to leave it there.

Thanks Pat.  

Before I go any further, let me apologise for the rather downcast and frankly temperamental tone of yesterday’s post.  In my defence I plead the stress of selling the house, and then the trouble with the model was the last thing I needed!  Having slept on the problems (of my own making with the decals being somewhat ham fisted). I had a go at fixing them.

Firstly, the canopy was very gently prised off after cutting through the overlapping ejection seat warning triangles and rescue arrow with a sharp blade and softening the PVA with water.  The front seat had in fact come loose and had fallen forward and got wedged at a crazy angle, like the forward tilting seats in a two door car.  This glued to the floor and centre panel with a generous spot of CA and the canopy reattached.

51230821928_79ef1412b7_b.jpg

When set the red will be touched up.  While I had the PVA out I put a couple of dobs  on to make the dorsal and ventral nav lights.

Then I touched up the tail trims with Tamiya dark blue, not a perfect match but the closest I have.  Hopefully a clear coat over the top will help to tie it in.

51230610631_8ff434aa3b_b.jpg

Back on track.  Thanks for looking.

AW

Edited by Andwil
Correcting autocorrect again!
  • Like 13

I feel your pain having been given the runaround on my build with "one chance and one chance only" decals (mine nearly went in the bin too, but I don't have a bin big enough). Worth persevering though as it looks fantastic.

• Andwil changed the title to Spin the Wheel - Aussie Roulette - Nearly there

@PattheCat, @Brad, @Alex Gordon, @TonyOD,  thanks fellas.

On 6/8/2021 at 8:59 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Looks like I will have the same issues to contend with when I build '42'. Thanks for being the guinea pig Andrew.

Looking good and nice save

Thanks Ray, I’m sure you’ll do better than me, when it comes to decals I’m all thumbs.  Actually most of the decals go on very well although they do grip quickly and can hard to move it you don’t get them positioned correctly first time.  This is especially the case around the rear fuselage/tail area with the blue trims.  The S shaped decal on the leading edge of the fin is particularly fun to position.

Anyway, decals finished, paint touched up, nav lights painted and the whole given another coat of Pascoe’s Longlife:

51242256044_b431861f1d_b.jpg

51240778482_833956f148_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7

• Andwil changed the title to Spin the Wheel - Aussie Roulette - *Finished*

Wheels, various scratched antennae and the prop (feathered) added and I’m calling it done.  The undercarriage and doors were quite fiddly to deal with and were little better than butt joints.  At first the model had a distinct nose down attitude that the real plane does not have, so I ripped the main undercarriage off and shortened the legs.  There is still a nose down stance but better than before and I don’t want to risk irreparable damage by further modification.

51248217416_dde7f084c8_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks to Brad for running an interesting group build.

AW

• Like 7

Got some 1/72 kits with attractive (striped) schemes in the stash (Revell F-16 MLU Belgian 1st squadron anniversary, Zvezda Su 27UB in a Russian AF training centre special scheme ....). You know, these ones you can't help but buying when seeing the box art but never feel quite ready to do.

If When I'll put one of these on the bench, I hope I'll achieve such a nice result as you did.

Well done, sir.

11 hours ago, Brad said:

Great build mate, I really like it.

6 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Got some 1/72 kits with attractive (striped) schemes in the stash (Revell F-16 MLU Belgian 1st squadron anniversary, Zvezda Su 27UB in a Russian AF training centre special scheme ....). You know, these ones you can't help but buying when seeing the box art but never feel quite ready to do.

If When I'll put one of these on the bench, I hope I'll achieve such a nice result as you did.

Well done, sir.

Thanks guys, very kind of you.

I’ve packed all my modelling stuff away now in anticipation of our house move, Hopefully I’ll be back for the High Wing GB which I have something unusual lined up for.  In the meantime I’ll live vicariously through the excellent build threads on BM!

AW

Edited by Andwil