RAF and RCAF Fonts - A Solution for Mac Users

mark.au

Hi all;

Does anyone have an RAF and/or RCAF font(s) they could share with me?  I have trawled through this site and others, there are indeed multiple links and files but none work (on my Mac).

If you have one or more that are actually working on your computer, would you mind sending me a copy? please? :)

Thanks;

Mark.

Edited by mark.au

Thank you both, @rossm and @Edge - much appreciated.  I can't all of them to work on my Mac, particularly the RAF/RCAF fonts.  It's likely ineptitude...

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Perhaps a word of warning: for WW2 and earlier there was no such thing as a standard font. Only overall size and stroke thickness, neither of which were totally observed in practice.

Absolutely Graham, these fonts are often just a place to start, I work from photos typically so adapt as needed.

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

I've got a some RAF (and USAAF) fonts that another BM modeller kindly sent me. I can't say for sure how accurate they are but I'm happy to send you them if you PM me your email address.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I was able to  install on my Mac the fonts I tried from the link provided by @Edge above. I will try to post a screen capture later, still sorting out where to host the image. Finally, I could do it! This is for the RAF_WW2_641ATH font; please pay attention to how it appears on the font list, just as "New". All the fonts I tried have the same name and only one can be used at a time, disabling the others, so more fine tuning may be needed (renaming them, perhaps?).

spacer.png

HTH.

Edited by Fukuryu
Image added.

FWIW, I too have a Mac and have had inordinate difficulties in using the fonts mentioned, especially when trying to use them in Word, however trying to use them in the Textedit application worked. As others have noted the font is named new and I don't know of any way to rename it. 

I'm all ears, if someone has an idea.

I suspect that the problem that the font manager reports when installing the font, is what prevents Word from using the font.

HTH Finn

1 hour ago, rossm said:

Tried one of the online converters mentioned without much luck. The font name was corrected, but font itself did not work in the textedit app.

/Finn

Thanks all for the input, and to @Johnson for sending me his installed fonts.

The fonts all being named “New” when installed and being treated as duplicates is the problem I had.  It’s reassuring that I’m not the only person experiencing this - and maybe I’m not as inept as I was beginning to think I was!

• Like 1

Ok, success.  Here's what worked for me, recorded here for posterity.

I converted the fonts from TTF to OTF using this free online converter - https://www.fontconverter.org

I then installed the fonts in the Mac Font Book as per standard procedure - they installed perfectly, including the proper name (not just list as "New").  After restarting the Mac the fonts were available in my graphic editing program (Pixelmator Pro, almost all the function photoshop without the outrageous price).  They also worked in Word, but with a slight functional bug; I had to write the text, then select it all, then change font (it won't write in the font if you follow me).

Thanks again everyone for the help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• mark.au changed the title to RAF and RCAF Fonts - A Solution for Mac Users
On 01/05/2021 at 01:46, mark.au said:

Ok, success.  Here's what worked for me, recorded here for posterity.

I converted the fonts from TTF to OTF using this free online converter - https://www.fontconverter.org

I then installed the fonts in the Mac Font Book as per standard procedure - they installed perfectly, including the proper name (not just list as "New").  After restarting the Mac the fonts were available in my graphic editing program (Pixelmator Pro, almost all the function photoshop without the outrageous price).  They also worked in Word, but with a slight functional bug; I had to write the text, then select it all, then change font (it won't write in the font if you follow me).

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Followed your instructions and could get the *GIMP versions to work as you described. 

Thanks again for the perseverance, this was a major stumbling block for me.

/Finn

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Tried to download some RAF fonts, but it did turn out quite  difficult even after following all the steps above.

Finally I did have some success with (indeed) the gimp version of the font which I downloaded and installed in the font book.

The next step was typing them in my mask cutting software (Cricut Design Space), Although a similar approach would probably be feasible in Photoshop or Gimp as well.

tBLhu0K.jpg

34Bj5cZ.jpg

It is indeed important that you use the lowercase letters and that for alternative shaped letters or numbers you use the Shift key (like the No 3 above).

Thought I would put this on the forum whilst I remember and perhaps useful for decal and paint mask makers using the Cricut software and machine.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 3