Revell 1/72 Junkers F.13W: "Eisvogel" in Spitsbergen

spacer.png

Despite the box-art, this edition of the Revell 1/72 Junkers F13 includes all the necessary parts for the F13W floatplane version.

I used it as my basis for a model of Construction Number 650 "Biene", which was temporarily renamed "Eisvogel" when it was part of the Junkers Spitsbergen Expedition of 1923, registered as D 260.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used Master-X resin replacements for the kit ailerons. I intended ordering one of the Master-X conversions and scavenging the ailerons, but once Lumír at Master-X found out I only wanted the ailerons, he just sent me the ailerons, free of charge! The registration numbers and the laminations on the wooden prop are from Arctic Decals, which I highly recommend--they bedded down beautifully even on the tricky surface of this model. The kit itself came together nicely. I scribed off the rudder and elevators so that I could pose them--this aircraft seems to have a characteristic elevator droop when parked. I tweaked it by revising the area of the tail-skid, which didn't correctly reflect the float-plane configuration, and added a little fairing around the "rhino horn" exhaust, visible in the reference photographs. I also carved open a door, slightly shortened the over-long rear bench seat in the passenger compartment so that it didn't foul the open door, and added a few interior details including some photoetch lap-belts.

Oh--and I added a reproduction of whatever-that-is on the starboard side behind the rear window, visible behind the head of the middle man standing on the float.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've also just completed a companion build to this one. This airframe ended its life under somewhat dramatic circumstances in 1934, while registered as LN-ABH to Nord-Norges Aero in Norway, by which time it had been quite extensively revised from its appearance here. Once I have some photographs of that build I'll post it in another thread.

ETA: The other build is here:

• Like 48

I didn’t know this kit existed until a few weeks ago when I noticed it at a friend of mines. It is different in a good way. And now you are going to make me try to find out what the “thing” is!

• Like 1

Beautiful build and well presented, love the convincing look of the water.

Its also a reminder that i have this kit in my stash.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BerndM said:

Beautiful build and well presented, love the convincing look of the water.

Its also a reminder that i have this kit in my stash.

40 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

The water effect/base is superb as is the model - how did you achieve the effect?

TT 

My apologies, folks, for failing to give due credit to the people who made my display base. It comes from Coastal Kits. That was an oversight on my part--I'd intended to mention Master-X, Arctic Decals and Coastal Kits when I made my OP, but I seem to have got distracted after crediting only two, which is more than a little embarrassing.

I've accumulated a few Coastal Kits display bases over the years, and I thought this one was particularly suitable for a float-plane in the Arctic--there's something very icy-looking about the water, I think. You'll see another of their efforts when I post photos of LN-ABH, any day now.

• Like 2

Your Junkers is brilliant and I love the display -

I've often looked at this kit but your build has made me decide this is worth having a go at!

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael51 said:

What a superb build and with a context-rich background story,

Michael

Thanks. The context for this aircraft went on to get richer. I've now posted my build of what it looked like at the end of its flying career, when it had a quite dramatic adventure.

The combined WiP thread for these two builds of the same airframe is here:

1 hour ago, Hamiltonian said:

Thanks. And correspondingly tough aviators--they flew a six-hour round trip to the Arctic pack-ice in that open cockpit!

Of course,... I meant to add,.... and tough people,.... indeed.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Transall vaillant said:

Nice work. 

Those F.13 are seldom looking like the type figured by Revell and Master.X parts are very useful.

@+

Thanks.

Yes, it seems to have come with a remarkable selection of different control surfaces and stabilizers. The Master-X replacement parts were excellent.

Awesome model and excellent display base!

There's something about these corrugated-skin, between-wars types.

Maybe I need one of these in the stash - you build would be something to aspire to!

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1