Italeri 28mm

Timn

Good evening all.

I have recently come into some figures and after measuring them found they're 28mm. They are a sandy colour mould and after much googling found out they are Italeri WW2 British Infantry. 

Has anyone had anything to do with them.  What is paint like at sticking to them.

These will be my first venture into painting figures as i normally build 1.76 softskins.

Thanks for reading.

Are these the soft plastic type? If so, painting them - and getting the paint to stay put - is challenging. Give them a wash in washing up liquid & water first.

A thin primer would probably be advisable before starting in on colours.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Timn

Sorry for the late reply. From your description, it sounds like what you have are the 1/72 figures in soft (vinyl style) plastic. As @Big Dave S says these can be tricky to paint, although allegedly  dip in PVA first helps. These aren’t "28mm" figures as such. However Italeri also do hard plastic 1/56 scale/28mm wargames figures, not always easy to get hold of but these assemble and paint like a dream, and the larger scale is kinder on old eyes like mine. I’ll add links to the two different sets in a moment, so you can see which matches what you have.

1/56 - 28mm Italeri/Warlord British - grey plastic

1/72 - 25mm (ish) Italeri British - tan soft plastic

A word on the sizing, if you're not already familiar with the rather confusing terminology, the "mm" sizes usually refer to an approximate foot-to-eye measurement of an average person. This is common with wargames models but can be confusing for those of us used to the normal scale ratios.

1/72 figures can be variously described as 20mm or 25mm, most common nowadays I think is to term them 20mm, but that would also encompass 1/76 scale figures I think – I’m no expert I’m afraid.

28mm figures are taken to be a scale around 1/56 – Rubicon and Italeri make tanks and figures in that scale, but most wargames figures are “heroic” in proportions, which is code for (have oversized heads, and hands and misshapen bodies), they approximate real people in the same way Lego minifigs do.

Some brands are less prone to this (Rubicon, Perry Miniatures), but most do it to some extent. While it gives a caricature effect, that can be useful in giving character to what are, after all, very small figures. Some suppliers, such as Modelu, offer true 1/56 figure replicas- these look very good with the vehicles, but can look too slim compared to the more cartoonish wargames figures. Whether you are comfortable mixing and matching the two is, of course, up to you