She's Shiny! - Airfix P-40C

Whilst starting into my Matchbox Bipe Triple build, I also concluded that it was time I finally finished up the last few details on a few other kits. One of them is the Airfix 1/72 P-40B, finished as a P-40C operating in the Panama Canal Zone, as seen below.

P-40C NatMet

Most of you will already know this, but the Airfix kit builds reasonably well. My biggest gripe with it is attaching the intakes on the nose of the fuselage, as I have yet to pull off doing so without also needing some filler. In any case, I think that my final result is acceptable.

Airfix P-40C Airfix P-40C Airfix P-40C

Next up will either be a Swedish Avro 504K or a Chinese Gladiator 1. Additionally, I have finally returned to armor modelling after picking up a UMMT 1/72 T1 Combat Car, which should be up in WIP soon.

Thanks all,

Stay safe,

Tweener

• Like 36

5 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Looks good in overall metal,  nice change from camo.

Pete

It was nice to find the image that I did, as I had no other ideas for the kit!

5 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

I love the craftsmanship. Interesting finish on a familiar bird. 

I think it's a kit most of us are familiar with by now, so it was fun to see what I could change about building it.

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Dang! I was going to do this one as well!

Great work and a really nice NMF finish! So unusual to see a P-40 with the late-war insignia.

Cheers,

Mark

I've seen other P-40C's without paint, but they were all early birds with tail stripes and the 'meatball' roundels. I may do one of those yet!

4 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Oh yes, that's smart.  What timeframe would this aircraft have fitted into?

The information I found stated that the photo was taken from the right-hand waist-gunner position of a B-24 Liberator in either October or November of 1943, and that the aircraft may have been scrapped soon after the photo was taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1