Okay, what sort of pitot tube was used on the EAP?

Cabbie

After having sourced the Combat kits(formerly Silver Cloud kit) off of eBay, the only thing missing is a good pitot tube! The hole is even drilled out but a resin one is supplied and I see all sorts of issues on using that looming. Any one have any info?

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

1 hour ago, fatalbert said:

I would say,odds on it was a tornado one.

it seems way longer than a Tornado one

nice, rel clear pic here:

British Aerospace EAP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/clackzuk/35334879422

maybe you can adapt some Mirage or Thud Pitot tube (Master has a large selction!)

http://www.master-model.pl/category/air-master-148

AM-48-030_01.jpg

AM-48-045_01.jpg

It does seem longer than a standard Tornado pitot.... but it's worth noting that the EAP has been fitted with at least two different types of pitot over the years & the one currently fitted (Loughborough Uni/ Cosford Museum) may not be representative of what it flew with.

Many of the photos from the aircraft's life as a test vehicle show it fitted with a typical "flight test" pitot which has 4 small "vanes" at 90 degrees to each other approx halfway down the length of the pitot. They are difficult to see but if you get a close-up with the right background, you'll see what I mean. I'll try to look out some photos which show them off.

In the meantime, I was thinking of using one of these on my Silver Cloud EAP (it's a lovely kit, isn't it?):

http://www.master-model.pl/product/am-72-131.html

available from the Big H at:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MR72-131

although it might not be the correct length & seems to lack the bulge in the middle section. Maybe a combination of two different Master probes?

Don't forget the smaller pitots on the tip of each canard!

23 hours ago, Cabbie said:

After having sourced the Combat kits(formerly Silver Cloud kit) off of eBay, the only thing missing is a good pitot tube! The hole is even drilled out but a resin one is supplied and I see all sorts of issues on using that looming. Any one have any info?

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

These any help Chris?

lfNYce.jpg

lfNH4X.jpg

lfNKGF.jpg

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 11:46 AM, DougC said:

p?i=ca348427f1f284eb0bdd4e35bb7aeb0d

p?i=3e3d25efa7e9d88dfa04aa5f31499c81

p?i=db36d1974f8f0fbcc4f532420d2aa426

Isn't the 4th of those images actually the EFA full-scale mockup? Similar overall configuration but a bit closer to the definitive Typhoon than the EAP. I believe ESCI did a kit of that version.

The fourth photo is the EFA mock up that was trundle around various events. I remember seeing it at Farnborough in 1988 and have a very similar photo somewhere around. I have an original Silver Cloud EAP on the go at the moment for the Anything but Injection GB and I was going to make the pitot up from some Albion Alloy sliding tube. 

On 5/2/2021 at 2:35 PM, CT7567 said:

Isn't the 4th of those images actually the EFA full-scale mockup? Similar overall configuration but a bit closer to the definitive Typhoon than the EAP. I believe ESCI did a kit of that version.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:57 PM, canberra kid said:

It looks like a mock up

John

Yep, the fourth photo is a plastic mockup of the EFA at Farnborough - sorry for any confusion but I wasn't able to crop it off the bottom of the 2x EAP photos above it!

Of note, it shows the EFA's original configuration with the square intake - not sure if the early ESCI kit had that or the later Typhoon "smiling" intake. It may also still have a cranked leading edge like the EAP rather than the straight delta of the Typhoon but it's difficult to tell from this angle!

• Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 1:16 PM, canberra kid said:

These any help Chris?

lfNYce.jpg

lfNH4X.jpg

lfNKGF.jpg

John

Canberra kid,

Seeing the drawings sure brings back the scandal of Pegasus doing a kit scaled off of them later being revealed to be 1/96th scale! I have a Pegasus kit but to say I no longer need it is....putting it mildly! LOL I am certain the F1CK test boom pitot tube is the way to go. Funny though that it has been on every test bird from the YF-17 up to the YF-22 and on may outside the US like the EAP and F-1CK Ching Kou. Thank you all for your help and posting of pics as it will help more than just me.

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

• Like 2

• 9 months later...