F-4E front gear door

Matsuaara

Hello! I'm building an Italeri F-4E (actually converting it to a JASDF RF-4EJ). The kit has a lot of inaccurate details, but the one I can't figure out how to fix is the front gear door. 

The kit one is hollow:

Spoiler

spacer.png

While the real one is like this:

Spoiler

spacer.png

I really can't figure out how to make the provided one look a bit more accurate to the real aircraft. Does anyon more expert than me have some advice?🙂

Thankyou!

On 4/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, Matsuaara said:

Hello! I'm building an Italeri F-4E (actually converting it to a JASDF RF-4EJ). The kit has a lot of inaccurate details, but the one I can't figure out how to fix is the front gear door. 

The kit one is hollow:

Hide contents

spacer.png

While the real one is like this:

Hide contents

spacer.png

I really can't figure out how to make the provided one look a bit more accurate to the real aircraft. Does anyon more expert than me have some advice?🙂

Thankyou!

Plastic sheet to fill in and create the stepped section towards the front of the door ? Take a piece of stiff paper or tape over the trough in the italeri door and rub a pencil back and forth to get an outline. The place it on the sheet plastic as a stencil. Cut it a little oversized and sand to shape. Then use little squares/rectangles to get the stepped area at the front of the door. 

Dennis

9 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi there, your pictures are not visible.

regards Toby

Are you sure about that? I was pretty sure I uploaded them the right way...

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Plastic sheet to fill in and create the stepped section towards the front of the door ? Take a piece of stiff paper or tape over the trough in the italeri door and rub a pencil back and forth to get an outline. The place it on the sheet plastic as a stencil. Cut it a little oversized and sand to shape. Then use little squares/rectangles to get the stepped area at the front of the door. 

Dennis

I'll try this, thanks for the suggestion! I was having trouble getting th right shape but I think the tape solution should work.

• Like 1