1/48 Gulf Tornado - Revell

3 hours ago, bissyboat said:

That Tonka is looking the business. Not seen a cowling with a light blue shark mouth before, but I like it. 👍

Thanks @bissyboat. I think the blue & pink shark mouth was unique to RAF Tornados operating from Tabuk during Operation Granby. More traditional black / red / white versions were also seen.

53 minutes ago, jimmyanne said:

afternoon, just quick one, what material did you use on the nose anti-static strips?

Hi @jimmyanne. Thanks for looking in. The strips actually came on the decal sheet supplied in the kit (Revell Tornado GR.4,  Tornado Farewell boxing).

Regards.

Q

1 hour ago, Dr. Quack said:

Thanks @bissyboat. I think the blue & pink shark mouth was unique to RAF Tornados operating from Tabuk during Operation Granby. More traditional black / red / white versions were also seen.

Hi @jimmyanne. Thanks for looking in. The strips actually came on the decal sheet supplied in the kit (Revell Tornado GR.4,  Tornado Farewell boxing).

Regards.

Q

oh ok didnt know that , thats useful 

cheers 

• Like 1

Hello Quack

Thank you very much for the entertaining posts, had me chuckle several times. Furthermore, I am planning to build „Alarm Belle“ myself later this year (Desert GB), so I shall steal all your good ideas and tips 😎

Sam

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 12

Filthy, Filthy Quack - :wicked:

Now then -  where were we??  :hmmm:

Oh yes - we were having some good clean fun - up until now that is

A nice clean Tornado with dodgy seams, a fresh coat of ARTF desert Pink, and some transfers courtesy of Kits World.

In the distance I can see the villagers building their traditional hollow wicker effigy in readiness for the Spring rituals - hopefully if I keep my head down and pretend to have flown south for the Winter, they'll not insist that I closely examine the interior!

Chance to get on with some plastic mangling. 

Talking of interiors.....

Rear seat is now in place with demist hoses cobbled together, though I'm not really sure they add anything much. I don't think I'll bother with these hoses for the front seat - I've tried them out but they look rather ridiculous in a space which lacks the bulkhead behind the seat - still kicking myself over that particular oversight.

Seams on top of the intakes are still rather poor, and of course the camera is never flattering.

52662886308_afc695d141_c.jpg81 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

But of course this jet is exhibited at the end of the conflict, as evidenced by the full complement of mission marks - so it would be seriously grubby by this stage - right?

Decals are sealed - Alclad II Klear Kote flat on top so that the weathering materials can stick. No panel wash as the panel lines really don't feature that prominently in photos I've seen.

Started with some chipping - this is just grey-black irregularly stippled over the high wear areas with a coarse sponge. In this scale it works well enough for my poor eyes, and I've never mastered the art of using hairspray or chipping fluid.

52662678089_d040bc73a8_c.jpg83 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

The next layer is to mimic some paint touch-ups which were applied in the field - this has just been touched in with paint of a slightly lighter hue, guided by photos of various aircraft (unfortunately I've not found a decent comprehensive set of pics for this particular airframe but I'm happy to use some artistic licence!)

52662391956_f5099fd4b6_c.jpg84 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

Some further blotching / splodging and sponging over the airframe - the corks just help when turning the model over to get at the underside without breaking off antennae! Useful things corks. You can never have too many corks!

52662831575_5f66434ffd_c.jpg85 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

Next a layer of generally mottled grubbiness using oil dots well diluted and dispersed with thinners (turpentine) - most of this was done with a cut-down short haired stippling brush I keep for the purpose.

And another use for a cork.

Dammit I've run out of corks!

Time to open another bottle dearest! :drunk:

52662677999_95a514fbd5_c.jpg86 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

And just to prove that I've done the other side!

52661890587_cb2c174675_c.jpg87 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

Gradually making things a bit grubbier as we go - doesn't really show well here on my phone pics.

52662677894_62f2109886_c.jpg88 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

And finally (hooray) some of the Tornado's famous soot on the fin - added using pastel chalk with some more Klear Kote on top - might need a little more?

52661890437_9f69a49873_c.jpg90 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

Now if you'll excuse me I can hear the villagers using their battering ram on the door - how polite - they don't usually bother to knock!

They're kindly inviting me in my capacity as Laird of Quack Towers to officiate at their Spring rites from inside their lovingly crafted Wicker Man Duck.

Think I'll hide behind the sofa!

:worry:

shhhhhhhhh!

Keep Calm and Mangle Plastic!

Q

:dunce:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Excellent work there.

Looking rather good.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair. Most kind.

Plenty of things I'd do different, but it's too far gone now - just hoping to get it over the line, and happy that it didn't end up in the bin.

Niall.

• Like 1

Thank you @mackem01 very kind.

Thanks @mullac2001. The main issues are with the seams around the intakes.......and the kit would really benefit from a bulkhead behind the front seats. Plenty other (more competent) builds on BM. I've enjoyed making this if I'm honest, as I really wanted a Granby Tonka. When Airfix release their 1/48 Buccaneer S.2B I'll be first in line (pink of course!)

If you have the Eduard Desert Babe boxing then the plastic will be near-identical, but probably with better transfers.

Regards.

Q

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good looking build, I bought the 1:32 one but not started yet, I have only done one previous build and want to get an airbrush for this one, so I think a couple more interim kits are in order. Wondered if these may help but looks like a bloody good job anyway!

jdGA79h.jpg

byNa1Q5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve just found this post and I’d just like to say that it’s amazing an has helped me so much! I’m currently making a 1/72 version using the Eduard Desert Babes box and was wondering what colour the seeker heads of the AIM 9’s should be. The box instructions says black but every photo I’ve seen shows them as green. Got it now. They’re green! Haven’t got the exact colour so I’ll mix one u but just wanted to say thanks for this post.

• Thanks 1

Chapter 13

In Which Quack Glues his Fingers Together.

Mrs. Q has been anxious about her beloved for some weeks.

She sits, clutching his hand and stroking his beak in what she hopes is a comforting gesture.

"You've really not been yourself lately, Dear," she murmurs.

"It's nearly three months since your last Update post, you know."

Quack sighs and nods his acknowledgement as she continues.

"You missed your Great Uncle Dagobert Duck's 100th birthday last month - not like you at all."

"And you seem to have lost interest in playing with your favourite My Little Pony Glue Factory."

She hesitates before demurely dropping her gaze to her lap.

"And it's months since we ran a bath and played Achtung U-Boat"

Quack nods again in agreement.

"You're quite right my Dear. I know I shouldn't let things get me down, but I was at the Scottish Nationals yesterday - the price of kits has risen by an astonishing amount - and you know my price ceiling is still one shilling and sixpence! Some of the traders there have never even seen a Groat or a thruppenny bit!"

And so good people - I can now provide you with some updates, and describe some minor progress since previous ramblings.

Regular readers may remember that I previously took a perfectly presentable Tornado (albeit with some mighty dodgy seams), sprayed it a rather fetching sandy pink colour, then set about turning it into a very filthy beast indeed.

Since then, I have been playing around with some add-on touches.

I've been experimenting with various methods of representing the fabric FOD covers so often seen over the intakes - actually my intakes looked so bad on the inside that covering them up was really the only decent thing to do!

After several abortive attempts including an episode when I managed to glue my fingers together with cyano (oh, how we laughed), I finally managed to come up with a more-or-less acceptable construction made from a template of thin paper. This was laminated with tissue using diluted PVA, to provide a bit of texture. The whole piece was then folded into shape and fitted onto the intakes - I'm afraid I didn't take sequential pics of this because I really didn't think it would look satisfactory!

52859134343_24fa4b59b1_c.jpg91 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

52859084800_6cafece846_c.jpg92 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

You may also notice that the weapon load of Alarm missiles has been added under the fuselage - beautiful Brassin items - much better than I deserve!

And from the top.....

52858692246_c34344c7a0_c.jpg93 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

I've also started adding RBF flags where appropriate (I think). 

Some RBF covers have also been made by simply shaping small sprue off-cuts and cluing them to plastic card bases with Tamiya Extra Thin.

A bit basic, but good enough for my eyesight, such as it is these days.

52858870279_7c7a9dff9f_c.jpg94 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

52858870384_55433bf3e7_c.jpg95 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

Underwing gubbins finally added, including Brassin Sidewinders - again, these are superb, and come with their own separate Noddy caps.

52859084790_e389b16c42_c.jpg96 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

As you may notice - the electronics pods on the outer under-wing stations are covered with protective tarps - these are seen quite prominently in some photos, and were to provide a degree of sun protection.

These were made by shaping pieces of thin tissue before wetting them with dilute PVA, and shaping them over the pods.

Still to do the canopy (which is due to receive my signature gluey thumbprint  :tmi: ) and also the pitot, which broke off innumerable times and is now pretty unusable.  A replacement metal one is on order.

So that's it for now - we're up to date again.

Thanks for keeping me going folks.

Keep Calm

And Mangle Plastic.

Q  :dunce:

• Like 6

Thanks @Nick_4sqn. most kind.

The forward portion of the Sidewinder including the forward fins is a (difficult to describe) anodised green metallic-ish colour.  I made up a mix of old Humbrol enamels using (if I remember correctly) dark green with a bit of bronze. I used reference pics from Ian Black's two superb photo journals referenced in Post 1.

Very happy that you've found some of my ramblings helpful.

Niall

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Very realistic weathering, and the cork idea is brilliant, I must try it ( using french wine corks of course ).

Thank you @Biggles87.

Like I said - you can never have too many corks - there's always an excuse to liberate another one! 🍷:drunk:

Niall

Ooh Q's back with a splendid update.

Excellent work that man.

1 hour ago, Dr. Quack said:

Scottish Nationals yesterday - the price of kits has risen by an astonishing amount

I heartily concur and as a side note some of the displays made me feel quite inadequate..

I still enjoyed it though and i hope you did as well.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter  14

In which Quack Calls it Done and looks for something New to do

Calling this done folks. :hmmm:

A couple of pics to round things off, and I'll post up an RFI in due course.

52899017132_aa07d35a7d_c.jpg97a by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

52899589516_edbffb3877_c.jpg97c by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

52899016667_1b89aa01f3_c.jpg104 by Dr. Quack, on Flickr

Now to look through my stash for another project - It'll probably take about a month to get into the dungeons where my stash is stored given that it's guarded by Colin, the Lovecraftian nightmare I created with my Fisher-Price  My-First-Genetic-Manipulation-Kit. A horrific creature with hunting and killing instincts tuned to a fearful degree, intended to guard us from the Village mob, with their pitchforks and flaming torches. Unfortunately they have discovered Colin's weakness for medium rare Sirloin with a nice red Rioja, and now he just sits on the drawbridge drooling, and wagging his tails whenever they approach. For some reason, though,  he has developed an intense dislike for me, even though I bring him ample supplies of steak, and read him bedtime stories. Turns his nose up at my cheap plonk, and barely lets me near even after I've soothed him with the Rhino tranquilliser dart.

Anyway, that's it for another build.

Next up will be 1/48 EE Frightening, or maybe Hawk T1, or...... who knows?? It'll need to be a quick in-out of the stash dungeon, while Colin's in a good mood - he's smiling ................. at least I think he's smiling     :analintruder:

Thanks for bearing with me.

Keep calm and mangle plastic

Q:dunce:

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Hook said:

Very nice!, the diorama setting really sells it. 

Thank you Andre. Most kind.

The diorama is really just a bit of a layout with little real attempt at realism, but I had fun with some Flightpath

goodies - I learned a bit about photoetch and learned never to try soldering cast metal!!

25 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Impressive Tonka Dr Quack !!

Really inspiring for me in a future thread....

Thanks @corsaircorp. Very generous of you.

Q

• Like 2