1/72nd Academy PB2B-1 Catalina of 5 (FB) Squadron at Segond Channel, 1944

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Another cracking Model Tony, looks very nice indeed, you've got a veritable production line going for this Groupbuild. Great work as usual fella. 

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... yeah Andy was a good lad and wanted to do his GB proud,....... plus it is one of my niche interests,.... Commonwealth Air Forces. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That's very nice!

Thank you,... glad you like it,...ta! 

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

You've certainly done that one justice. Got to love a nice Catalina.

Cheers Vinnie,.... indeed,... nothing wrong with a Catalina,.... glad you like it mate. 

I really like the colours on the new one.

Remember, you could always build the later, taller-tailed PB2B-2 just to mess with people's heads even more.

Jus' sayin....

-d-

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mahavelona said:

Stunning

WOW,.... thanks mate! 

27 minutes ago, David H said:

I really like the colours on the new one.

Remember, you could always build the later, taller-tailed PB2B-2 just to mess with people's heads even more.

Jus' sayin....

-d-

Cheers David,.... Oh I have that in hand,..... I have a pair of Revell Coustau`s Cat kits,.... with the tall tail and post war beak nose,...... I intend to do one as a Danish one if I can ever find decals,..... and then maybe cross kit the other with a Revell PBY-5,...... swapping the tails over....... maybe to do another Aussie Black Cat?

• Like 1

Nice pair! That sounded ok in my head, but looks wrong in print, not sure why. I am ashamed to admit, I have never built a Catalina. Someday I will have to rectify that. I used to fly with another pilot who had flown them water bombing. He said you could put full aileron on and count to three before anything happened..... 

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

Nice pair! That sounded ok in my head, but looks wrong in print, not sure why. I am ashamed to admit, I have never built a Catalina. Someday I will have to rectify that. I used to fly with another pilot who had flown them water bombing. He said you could put full aileron on and count to three before anything happened..... 

Thanks mate,..... no nice pair sounds good to me,..... just a good job they weren`t Thunderbolts eh!!😉

I can imagine that with the controls,..... they do seem to wallow a bit in the air,.... I think many of the large wartime aircraft were the same to be fair,.... to certain degree`s.

Catalina kits ae getting harder to find now,.... so it might be worth hunting one down and snaffling it away somewhere in the stash.  

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

WOW,.... thanks mate! 

Cheers David,.... Oh I have that in hand,..... I have a pair of Revell Coustau`s Cat kits,.... with the tall tail and post war beak nose,...... I intend to do one as a Danish one if I can ever find decals,..... and then maybe cross kit the other with a Revell PBY-5,...... swapping the tails over....... maybe to do another Aussie Black Cat?

Speaking of the Cousteau PBYs, have you ever compared the centre wings and nacelles of the Revell PBY to the Academy one? its said the Academy engines are too small and too close together...wonder if there's a visible difference  when compared to the Revell....

I ask because its one of those things i won't be able to un-see if its true.

-d-

9 hours ago, David H said:

Speaking of the Cousteau PBYs, have you ever compared the centre wings and nacelles of the Revell PBY to the Academy one? its said the Academy engines are too small and too close together...wonder if there's a visible difference  when compared to the Revell....

I ask because its one of those things i won't be able to un-see if its true.

-d-

I`ve never compared the centre sections,.... but yes the Academy nacelles are too small. When I`ve built it I`ll compare them,..... but I won`t display them together! 

9 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done, Tony!  I imagine the young guys flying them experienced a mix of boredom interrupted at times by intense stress!  You honor them with your builds.

Thanks mate,...... yes I always think of the men who flew and worked on them and wondered the same myself. 

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wow! You've really let the 'Cats' out of the bag this time, Tony! They are both beauts!

Mike

LOL,.... thanks Mike,.... glad you like them mate. 

5 hours ago, Edge said:

2 great looking Cats Tony. Top modelling & lovely to see a period photo to bring the scheme to life-

Edge

Cheers Edge,..... yeah I always like to find a pic of the real aeroplane.  

5 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Outstanding  work as always Tony beautifully finished very well done :clap2:

Thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn,.... glad you like it mate,... cheers.

3 hours ago, sprue said:

Lovely builds, I certainly do admire your brush painting skills

Thanks mate,..... I do like by brushes. 

2 hours ago, BerndM said:

Fantastic builds.

Thank you very much BerndM,..... glad you like them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ron Pearcy said:

Excellent builds,the colour scheme is outstanding. 

Thanks,..... yeah it look nice doesn`t it,..... possibly the US 3 colour blue scheme,.. overpainted with white? 

• Like 1