F4F-4 Wildcat - Hobby Boss 1/48

It's been a while, but here's one completed in the last month or so. It started as a father/son build, but got somewhat overtaken by parental perfectionism and limited interest by 50% of the workforce. (Who knew a Wildcat undercarriage would be too fiddly for a 6-year old?)

Anyway, it's an F4F-4 from VF-41, USS Ranger.

51145618939_9c04dc99fc_b.jpg

51144162292_2ed2c27604_b.jpg

51144839556_34fa2f9bc5_b.jpg

51145618389_4c0ff29ec2_b.jpg

• Like 34

@BerndM

No huge issues. Take your time getting the cockpit lined up properly in the fuselage, as the locating features aren't all that positive. Also, the undercarriage is thin and slightly tricky to assemble and fit once the fuselage is closed up.

Other than those things it really is quite a nice kit.

• Like 1

Just now, JasonC said:

@BerndM

No huge issues. Take your time getting the cockpit lined up properly in the fuselage, as the locating features aren't all that positive. Also, the undercarriage is thin and slightly tricky to assemble and fit once the fuselage is closed up.

Other than those things it really is quite a nice kit.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ditto I missed it as well. Cracking looking model and very timely as I bought this exact version just because I like Wildcats, and Hellcats, it was cheap as well. I still have the Tamiya version that I need to build so it would be a good comparison as I'm new back into the hobby and have never had anything from Hobbyboss. The Tamiya is about £5 dearer and so worth that £5 I now know why lots of you rate Tamiya. The plastic on the Hobbyboss is so much thinner and just test fitting the large parts very little lines up exactly. Not a problem as it will all be experience for me. I do like the cowl on the Hobbyboss though whether it's accurate I don't know but it looks better than the Tamiya one and it's about the only thing that fits very well!

Tony