RCAF Harvard Mk.II

Beazer

1/48 Italeri/Occidental Harvard Mk.IIa

My entry into this GB will either be the Mk.II out of Penhold, Alberta circa 58' 

51138833128_f2b749c44c_b.jpg

51145573820_a57bb1e92e_b.jpg

Edited by Beazer
  • Like 5

51144468831_349c585bd6_b.jpg

I have gone ahead and started on the interior,  I am using some Eduard photoetch to liven the cockpit up a bit.  

What a pain to mask that canopy though.

• Like 4

51156685196_18fa5a735a_b.jpg

Little bit of work done.

Beat up the cockpit a little.  They were maintained quite well so I’ll probably limit the weathering on the side as well.

• Like 3

This is proving a popular kit in this GB (rightly so).

Good luck with it, you're making good progress so far.

• 2 weeks later...
51187053327_363c6d2f36_b.jpg

Secured the fuselage and wings.  Mine was warped quite a bit so I'll have to watch the seams but the wings mate perfectly to that which is nice to know when I mount them.  Yellows going to show every mistake so here's to making none lol.

The engine and mount were a bit off so I just modified it a bit to fit better and be symmetrical.  The Revell Texan cowl I intend on using...however it only likes to go halfway and does not mate correctly like the Italeri kit cowl.  I feel its getting hung up on the rods so I may need to cut some more off.  I'd like to know what others have done to remedy that issue.

I also moved the throttles to where they were supposed to go, deeper in the pit.  Leaning towards the post war bird but we will see how it all pans out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
51222998707_3c5ddefb04_b.jpg

Quite a bit of filler needed but luckily it was easy to sand down.

Still stuck on which cowl to use but it’s starting to come together, white primer is next before attempting the dreaded yellow.

• Like 2

51242026064_c92c398617_b.jpg 51241260231_ab59d7e86a_b.jpg

1st and 2nd Coat of Chrome Yellow applied.  Need one more coat and then I'll have to seal it up.

I do not like painting yellow. 

That is all.

• Like 2

51254508720_d2a110d43f_b.jpg

Decided I'm going to keep it as a Mk.II as displayed on the kit.

The cowl I had some difficulty getting on and Ive had to cut all the rods and will still need to shave down the mounting plate for it to fit properly to the fuselage.

Just have to finish up the flaps, mount the cowl, paint the red tips, and do the walkways.  Most likely going to wait until the end to deal with the exhaust as everything else will have a satin finish.

• Like 2

• Beazer changed the title to RCAF Harvard Mk.II
1 hour ago, Derek_B said:

Beazer I hope you're wearing sun-glasses while you work on this! It's sure bright on my screen!!

I haven’t been able to sort out the tone on my iPhone.  It definitely plays havoc with colours.