1/72 Spitfire Mk.XII -the early Griffon Spit

15 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi Stefano,

I followed your excellent Mk.XIV, but I've only just found this. Another quite amazing build of a very important Spitfire. Exquisite work!

And now I can see how you achieve such great results;

I use a No. 5 Optivisor, which I find very good for detailed work and combined with strong reading glasses is essential at my age (66), nowhere near as powerful as your magnifier. But it does have the advantage that I view the work in stereo.

Looking forward to seeing how your Mk XII progresses.

Best wishes,

Hello Charlie,

I'm following with interest your work on the Fine Molds F-4C/D, it's coming along nicely!

I'm 51 now and short-sighted too, so I work with glasses+optivisor to get a magnified scene with some depth of field.

I used the 15x monocular just because it's rather difficult to make a hole centered in a 0,4mm circle!

The sad thing of our age is that you must use glasses to even see what you have built!

The good thing of our age is...that we reached it, and we must be grateful every day for that!

Thanks for your appreciation!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A small update.

I have finished painting the elements of the main undercarriage.

To assemble the undercarriage to the wing I must before install the radiator housings.

I published before the work on the enlarged oil coolant and here is the glycol radiator housing.

First of all I have built the radiator faces starting with styrene sheet cut to size...

resized_dfc94f57-d8ff-4d69-9fa3-2c973d0e

...and painted black

resized_484564b0-90ac-45dd-9270-6335adb7

I superglued a very fine stainless steel mesh (from The Mesh Company)...

resized_79024a23-ce27-4d8b-88d0-78343c36

...and trimmed it to the right size with simple scissors

resized_a9aad952-bfa4-4ed5-958f-b22746ec

resized_a1926695-a041-4c00-8597-9ca48578

This picture also shows the general look of the undercarriage leg well, with new stringers and formers, and the hole for the actuating rod.

Masking and painting with my own Gunze Mix for Medium Sea Gray

resized_c1214769-f8a8-426b-87bd-c45a9caa

resized_1c3efedb-3630-48a4-b8d2-58fb8153

I'm happy because the underwing work blended very well and there are no noticeable gaps. A small success.

Recently I acquired a lot of Sovereign Hobby Colourcoats for RAF airplanes and while progressing with this work, I'm creating reference color chips with them and adjusting my own Gunze mixes for a better similarity. As explained in my Spitfire XIV WIP I matched my mix to a color chart in a Model Art volume on the Spitfire, and I have to say that the Model Art chips and Colourcoats are quite similar! So I just added a drop or two of green and blue to my original mix (which was just a tad too red-tinged)

resized_fa8330f0-f9cb-47a1-a7fc-1dba867f

Here a more refined stage: I added a central element which simulates the split radiator configuration (should be the same as in the Mk.Vc trop) and added the small vent with its square base and peculiar supporting arm (see above in the discussion). For this element I used the measurements in Monforton's book. The L shaped tubing is 0.23mm-diameter lead wire with a 0.08mm bracket.

92fdd67d-a419-4fc7-918d-9321adc4f892.jpg

Having used an out-of-the box radiator housing, I discovered a flaw of the Eduard Spitfires: the radiator flap is too narrow so I decided to build a new correctly shaped one, and enlarge the opening by scraping away the sides of the housing.

Here a fuzzy view of the new flap (should have been 8,46mm) built as a sandwich of two 0,1mm skins and an aerofoil-section 0.23 layer.

resized_b956b8bf-b3a2-4bae-b9f9-8ca2771b

resized_132a4544-2b94-4d1f-826b-1acabba6

A panel line and rivets added...

resized_d7cccc27-e50d-4438-b569-3641653c

side walls, reinforcing arms, actuating arm added helping myself with Monforton's information (also notice the side element: scraped to enlarge the flap opening)

resized_f7b06ad1-75fb-4885-8b51-d33e56a5

Here is what it looks like before painting

resized_9c5870ea-e4e7-451f-b292-0f2abf73

Sorry all of this is quite boring...

Ciao

Edited by steh2o
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, steh2o said:

+++

Sorry all of this is quite boring...

Ciao

Boring? Not at all! You have me hanging on the edge of my seat wondering wether that radiator flap will be thermostatically controlled or just moving by random.

PS: Where did you get those oversized fake fingers to slip in these pictures of your 1/24th Spitfire build?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steh2o said:

you should consider that I'm spending a significant part of my life putting together this tiny piece of plastic and sometimes this seems quite absurd!

I've had similar feelings. But there's a tremendous amount of satisfaction in adding these details. First the research then building and adding the parts. And (I have every confidence) that your end result will more than justify the time spent!

Thank you Roland and Steve you are very kind. @Steve 1602: I believe you have the same skills as me, it is just a matter of feedback theory, if you have a refined sensor (read: big magnifiers) the  enslaved actuator (those big fingers) works very accurately. Have a try!

Thanks again

• Haha 2

Just a couple of pictures of the (now) painted radiator housing, ready for installation:

resized_e91cdf92-daa0-4992-a998-0eef4323

resized_968d7e84-42d0-4d61-a584-219b3105

resized_b27a00a3-52e8-48a0-abe8-a56e5388

It is airbrushed with my MSG Gunze Mix, shadows/dirt with Van Dyck Brown oil, highlights with diluted Vallejo SilverGrey

Edited by steh2o
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, steh2o said:

shadows/dirt with Van Dick Brown oil, highlights with diluted Vallejo SilverGrey

Looks very good.

I need to improve my (very basic!) weathering skills. May I ask;

The Vallejo Silver Grey (very effective). Was this the Model Color 70.883?

And what is Van Dick Brown oil? Maybe Van Dyke brown? https://www.jacksonsart.com/winsor-newton-artists-oil-paint-37ml-tube-vandyke-brown Do you thin it? White spirit?

Thanks!

Gosh! I'm editing this! 

I have a Rembrandt-brand tube and is marked as "Brun Van Dyck", the W&N you cited should be totally equivalent. It's ideal for weathering, is sort of a black-brown, neither green-tinged like Raw Umber nor red like Burnt Umber.

I always thin it with white spirit, which gives a matt finish to it. 

And yes, Vallejo Modelcolor 70.883 Silver-grey is an off-white with nice covering properties

Edited by steh2o
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2022 at 5:17 PM, TempestV said:

I've just checked in to see how your lovely Spitfire XII is going and cannot see any of your photos - is anyone else experiencing this?

I had a simmilar problem on another site but found that using a different web browser fixed the problem.

Gondor

16 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

I had a simmilar problem on another site but found that using a different web browser fixed the problem.

Gondor

Clearing your cache and resetting cookies also helps sometimes. I think it has to do with the bandwidth on the host's side.

Hello gentlemen, 

I see now these recent posts and -embarassingly enough- I can't see the pictures too with my mobile's Chrome! Sorry if there is trouble with the pic hosting service- please let me know. Hope to publish something new in week or two. Thanks everybody

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

lately I had a very tiresome work period and couldn't advance that much on the Spitfire.

Moreover I tend to be distracted by other projects and can't keep myself focused on the Spit:

resized_6bd6011e-8fe8-4798-bd0e-1954912d

you'll recognize:

IBG Fw-190D9 Cottbus: fuselage lengthened 0.3mm, tail still needs some reshaping in section at the plug and fin

Brengun Typhoon (late): major adjustment of the tail (length, fin height) and recontouring of the fuselage at the cowling and cockpit area

Sword Fiat G-55 serie I: wing moved forward, fin moved forward... this is a tough one!

Coming back to the Spitfire, yesterday I decided it was time for a big step forward... toward the unknown: I glued the chassis legs to the wing bottom half

resized_546db149-03c5-4c24-b5a4-9d027df5

The chassis legs need to be precisely aligned to the wing undersurface, both in rake and camber. I have built a jig using the Monforton's plans scaled to 1/72. The side view provides the two lateral elements of the jig, obtained by gluing a scaled profile to styrene sheet then cutting out the wing profile and the chassis leg profile (x2).

The two elements have been glued to a central beam (carved in  styrene sheet from a front view) providing the correct camber

resized_6f90487f-5343-499d-a642-a1328c66

the jig is centered then glued with CA to the top surface of the lower wing through the two tabs near the leading edge. Small wedges of styrene sheet between jig and chassis well walls ensure that the jig adheres well to the lower surface of the wing.

The legs are loosely held by the undersized brass trunnions (which tough are precisely spaced in gauge according to Monforton's reference) and can now be precisely aligned with the leg terminal in the slot provided by the jig- that is the raison-d-étre of the jig itself: provide a reference in space for the position of the wheel trunnions

resized_dd506d3b-8655-4ad4-9c1a-07c60f69

resized_8c58bec0-8b5b-477b-84ec-4e4fa445

Everything is freezed in place by abundant CA with flour filler; the legs are fixed to the trunnions just with liquid CA. The jig is easily removed and...

resized_f8a3825c-e85a-4a55-b739-8489a00a

resized_d334f7da-b43f-4088-abf1-abb88c19

resized_c6402494-a79f-4ab4-9ca6-29b68ed6

...and here I am! Now the chassis legs are fixed in place, even before the topside of the wing is glued to the bottom!They have the right Spitfir-ish (Spitfir-esque?) look! It is a big risk considering how much handling the model will undergo before it's finished. Now it'is time to add details.

You will notice that the radiator housings are all in place, and the panel lines and rivets have  been restored to the final configuration

Ciao!

Stefano

Edited by steh2o
  • Like 8