Bangladesh

Bhutan

India

Nepal

Pakistan

Sri Lanka

Maldives

Myanmar/Burma

There is of differing opinions on what countries are part of south asia, but the countries listed above include all that are considered currently being part atleast by someones 'official' definition:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Asia

So any era, any scale, any type of model is ok - as long as it's from one of the nations mentioned above!

If you would rather join bit more specific GB, you are welcomed to join India vs Pakistan GB:

Would you like to join South Asia GB? 

Host @reini

2. @stalal

3. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

4. @exdraken

5. @Tim R-T-C

6. @RidgeRunner

7. @Wez

8. @Terry1954

9. @David2703

10. @tomthounaojam

11. @zebra

12. @Colin W

13. @modelling minion

• Like 2

Yes. Sure. But there is so little information available for the equipment they use. For example, Pakistan is the biggest operator of Mirages and there are so many modifications in each of the models. Kinetic kit is a good start but we dont know what modifications we will need to do. Same for Trumpeter F-6. Pakistan's F-6 has MB seat and was able to carry US ordnance. But the information about cockpit is nowhere to be seen. 

• Like 1

Hello Reini, great Idea as they're are a few Pakistani and Indian aircraft I wouldn't mind doing. Pakistani F-86 or F-6 and an Indian Spitfire 14/18. Seeing as you've included Bangladesh maybe add China. India and China have been disputing their border since the late 50’s also. Most recently it was last summer. 

Dennis

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–2021_China–India_skirmishes

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Thanks for the interest. Yes, there definitely has been a lot going on but details on the actual planes might be bit scarce. Doesn't really stop us from building models, right? :)

Here's couple Pakistani pilot interviews by Aircrew Interview, interesting stuff (both are part 1 of 2 so remember to check the other part too!):

• Like 1

I'd be interested, I've got a trio of Pakistani J-6s underway at present, but I'm sure I could find something else when this comes around.

Both counties operate a fascinating mix of Western and Eastern types.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 1:23 PM, reini said:

So, anything from India or Pakistan (and why not Bangladesh too) from 1947 onwards. Military or civil, both would be fine. 

I like the way you did that ;)

Count me in!!!! I would be going Indian :)

Martin

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stalal said:

I have never been part of group build. I wanted to build M M Alam's F-86 Sabre which shot down 9 IAF jets in one sortie. I have the markings but they are very old. Lets see if I can build it. 

https://www.badassoftheweek.com/m-m-alam

Great :) The way it works is that first we need 30 interested people so we can get into the bunfight ie. for the vote to the next years GB slots. So dont start too soon - or if you do, make sure you'll have something left for the GB :)

@RidgeRunner I knew I could count on you :)

@Wez Sure thing! 1:72 or 1:48?

• 2 months later...

I'd give this one a go also. I could manage any of Indian Hunter, Canberra, Mig-21, or Pakistani F-86 or F-104, all sitting in the ready locker!

Also have another AMX-13 in the stash, from Takom, could do an Indian Army version.

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I'd give this one a go also. I could manage any of Indian Hunter, Canberra, Mig-21, or Pakistani F-86 or F-104, all sitting in the ready locker!

Also have another AMX-13 in the stash, from Takom, could do an Indian Army version.

Terry

Count me in 

• Like 2

On 14/07/2021 at 10:51, Terry1954 said:

Terry

Sure thing, welcome aboard :) Just hoping to get more names down...

Hi guys, new joiner here, I have never done a GB before. But IAF and PAF? Great idea, count me in!

If we feel like it one could expand this to South Asian Theatre? I.e. Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Burma/Myanmar and China? This includes the Indian intervention in Maldives, Sri Lanka and the local civil war, Myanmar internal strife, China and India standoff and wars, and Pakistan v. Afghanistan flare up in 1980s and 90s.

Not decided on a subject yet but I put down what I am considering below. Feel free to expand this list and repost. Mainly in 1/48, I only put those options in 1/72 down where no 48 option is available. But most of these are available in 1/72 too. Post 1948 War military only (No Spit, PIA Boings etc.). Mind that for most of these aircraft there are actually many schemes worn over the life cycle of any single type, i.e. probably at least 4 for the PAF F-6s or IAF Mi-24s in old green and sand or modern all grey scheme. Also, a lot more types can be built with just making easy black custom numerals, i.e PAF T-37, Puma helicopter or T-33, or IAF MiG-21F-13 and Il-38 ASW.

Also, details are actually quite plentiful if you make the effort to dig. I can recommend the  recent books from Helion’s Asia@War series which has amazingly detailed volumes on 1971 East Pakistan, Siachen Fighting, Kargil and PAF in 1971 war so far, as well as such websites as Bharat Rakshak for IAF or Pakistan Defence Forum for PAF. On top of that, it is easy to just give up and exclaim that we have no info, e.g. on F-6 cockpits, where in fact one simple google search turns up photos, colour references and the type of MB ejection seat used (which is in 48 scale available from Neomega BTW).

Pakistan

F-6 OOB or Iliad or Printscale decals

FT-6 OOB

L-19 Bird Dog with Iliad decals

A-5C AA models with Aztec decals or OOB

F-7 trumpeter with Caracal (F-7G) or OOB/DP Casper/Aztec decals

FT-5 OOB

MiG-15UTI OOB

F-86E/F Model Alliance or Xtradecals

DH Dove Xtradecals 72

Mi-8/17 with dp casper decals 72

C-130 with Xtradecals 72

F-104 with Iliad design decals

F-16 single and double seater DP Casper or other decals

Mirage IIIE(P) with DP Casper or Uprise decals

Mirage V Wingmann Models with Antarki decals

JF-17 thunder Bronco or Trumpeter OOB, Caracal or DP Casper

Alouette III with KP decals OOB 72

K-8 Karakorum OOB 72

T-6 Harvard with Tiger Wings decals (?)

B-57 DP Casper 72

India

Su 30 DP Casper decals with Hobby Boss or Kitty Hawk kit

Su 30MKI DP Casper or CWS decals, Kitty Hawk or CWS conversion

MiG-21 with either Eduard, HADmodels, or other decals

MiG-25 with Begemot decals and ICM or KH kit

MiG-23bn with superscale decals

MiG-27 with OOB decals trumpeter

Su-7 with OOB decals

Bae Hawk with DP Casper decals

Hawker Hunter Xtradecals

Mi-24 with Linden Hill or Begemot decals

Mi-8/17 with DP Casper decals 72

Hawker Sea Hawk with Berna decals or OOB

Canberra with model alliance decals

MiG-29 9.12 with Caracal or HADmodels decals

MiG-29 UPG using GWH SMT with DP Casper decals

Harrier with Kinetic OOB decals

Jaguar, both late and early schemes available

Mi-4 with Hi decals 1 72

Dassault Rafale with Caracal decals

Mirage 2000 with aftermarket decals available

Il 76 with cutting edge decals 72 (?)

An 32 with OOB decals 72

Do 228 Indian Navy with Caracal decals 72

Breguet Alize with OOB decals 72

Ah-64 Apache with Caracal decals

Mi-26 with Begemot decals 72

MD 450 Ouragan Printscale or DP Casper decals 72

HF 24 Marut (hard to find) 72

HAL Tejas can be built out of a Viggen (?) with significant work

Folland Gnat resin kit with IAF decals by Aeropoxy

Alouette III DP Casper 72

C-17 Globemaster DRAW decals 72

Bangladesh

MiG-21MF with aftermarket decals available

F-6 with Printscale decals

F-7 with Aztec (early) or Caracal (late) decals

FT-6 with RVHP decal conversion 72

Yak 130 with Begemot decals

L-39 with Armycast decals

Land Vehicles – only aware of Star Decals sets but can custom make most

1965-71 Wars, many more modern vehicles of course

Jeep with M106

AMX 13

T-55

Type 59

Centurion

Sherman

M113

M107 SPH

BTR 50

Pt 76

OT 64 Skot

M24 Chafee Bronco OOB decals

M47 Takom OOB decals

M48

Type 56 field gun

Please do excuse the rought formatting on this, am doing this during a really boring stretch at work 🤪

Edited by David2703
  • Thanks 1

Count me in. High time we had a GB that covered this region, seems to be quite under-represented on BM - there should be plenty of interesting modelling to be done for a region of about 1.7 billion people!

Can I suggest maybe it could be a GB for the Indian Subcontinent? That would take in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Nepal and the Maldives - not that these would add an awful lot of options, but there would be some interesting ones.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Never been in Britmodeller, GB but being native of the region I did be interested for the GB, however is the GB only opened to name mentioned by the host?

No everyone is welcome in a group-build. We need 30 people to show interest in this by November to get into the voting for next year. If not it will either be re-started December 1st or fade away. If we make it into voting then we need to hold in the top 7-8 spots to get a set of dates for next year. Now every member is also allowed to vote in November. They get 4 votes to spread around between standard and single type group build’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No everyone is welcome in a group-build. We need 30 people to show interest in this by November to get into the voting for next year. If not it will either be re-started December 1st or fade away. If we make it into voting then we need to hold in the top 7-8 spots to get a set of dates for next year. Now every member is also allowed to vote in November. They get 4 votes to spread around between standard and single type group build’s. 

Please count me IN. Much appreciated for explaining, Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No everyone is welcome in a group-build.

I was a bit taken aback just now when I misread that as not everyone is welcome. And Dennis is usually such a good guy, I thought. My excuse is not enough sleep last night!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zebra said:

I was a bit taken aback just now when I misread that as not everyone is welcome. And Dennis is usually such a good guy, I thought. My excuse is not enough sleep last night!

Its ok my english writing skills are horrible. 😉

• Like 1